SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzykat

Marble or Butcher Block? Question from a klutz.

Izzy
8 years ago

I'm getting close to crunch time on choosing a countertop and am going back and forth between walnut butcher block and marble (would love something grey but might have to go with something creamier to match the cabinets). I know neither is as hard wearing as quartz, which I had in my last kitchen, but I've had a hard time finding a quartz that goes with the Ikea bodbyn off white cabinets I purchased (and I don't love the marble look alike quartz available to date). In my area, marble or butcher block would also be cheaper than quartz (score). Either would look great with the cottage style I'm going for.

I'm okay with a little "patina" and will absolutely seal whatever I get (511 for marble, waterlox for butcher block), but I was wondering which overall is more durable? I'm a bit of a klutz in general and can be hard on things-. While I'm worried about scratches and chips on the marble from the occasional dropped object, I'm also worried about surface damage from things like the french press coffee maker full of hot water in the mornings on the butcher block (the steam coming from the bottom of the press has done a number on my desk).

The options are butcher block along the sink and stove wall with marble on the kinda sorta of island looking over the living room, or all marble (my kitchen is a narrow 8 by 13 u-shape, where the bottom of the u is 2 24 inch base cabinets and a countertop that looks out over the living room). Either option would probably be paired with an overmount farmhouse sink and marble mosaic backsplash, and the existing floors are wood (a medium orange color that i eventually plan to refinish in a slightly darker, more neutral shade).

Any thoughts on which material wears patina better?

Thanks so much!

Comments (15)