SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freedomtreeless

Leveling floor in multi-level house?

Melissa
8 years ago

We are considering purchasing a 1970's era home that was built on a gentle hillside- it has a concrete slab floor that is on 3 levels as the hillside falls away. So there are a couple rooms, then 2-3 steps down to another couple rooms, then 2-3 steps down to another couple rooms. The ceiling stays the same height throughout because there is an upstairs.

I've been reading posts where people raised a sunken living room- but has anyone done a whole house? (well, 2/3 of the ground floor, anyway- around 1200 sf)

I realize it would be a major renovation- having to move electrical up, drywall, doors, windows, etc... We would have already wanted to replace all the windows since they're the original ones to the house and very inefficient, so we'd do that too.

The house is laid out really awkwardly- raising the floor might also let us rearrange the walls a bit (excepting load bearing walls of course) and move some plumbing around to improve the flow. Thankfully, the kitchen is on the top level so wouldn't be affected.

We'd do the work ourselves with help from my dad (who is capable of building a house from the ground up 100% by himself- he's done it twice!) and my in-laws (a lifetime in the construction industry) so I'm mostly just curious, anyone who's done this to a house, what unexpected or nasty surprises did you encounter?

We live in a place where homeowners can pull permits themselves and do the work as long as it passes inspection. So no trouble there.

This house also needs all the flooring replaced, the kitchen needs at minimum a big face lift if not a complete gut and replace, and of the 4 1/2 bathrooms, 1 still has powder blue fixtures, and the other 3 1/2 all need something, at minimum flooring.

The upstairs is 3 beds and 2 baths, and I really want to partially gut that area to rearrange the bathrooms and closets.

So if we buy this place, we're facing years of renovations as we save up for each project. The good news is, the house is livable as-is, it's just ugly and awkward!

We LOVE the land it's on, though- 13 acres with a gorgeous pond, a HUGE oak tree (trunk is about 8' across and the canopy is around 125' across!), and several existing barns, and a fenced pasture for my horses. The property is a dream, the house a nightmare.

Comments (15)