SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_batson

Questions on concrete multi-level patio conversion to deck

Glenn Batson
6 years ago

1) In the photo above does the multi-level patio have a name. Basically 3-4 feet by the door is higher than rest of the patio.

2) For the above location how would ledger and flashing work. My take is there is just enough room for a deck board to bit under the wall area due to the door. Do I but some sort of small flashing that lips up under in that 1 inch or so area and a flat board as far out as can support deck board and the board and fasten that to the concrete? If there is any give up by the house where there is really no support may have to put some super slim board along there and fasten somehow to hold in place. Or do I have to take a joist board and cut it to sit on the upper concrete narrowing to the door/wall still having flashing against the wall. Hopefully could cut so that deck boards and the joist narrow end fit in the space allowed. See basic image below that hopefully illustrates what I'm talking about with the joist. The image shows the joist holding above the concrete but it would sit down on it for the application. And space between the narrow end and bottom of the door has enough room for top deck board to fit under. Drawing doesn't represent that space well.12

Any thoughts/directions are appreciated. I figured if I could find answer to #1 a good search might find the solution for 2. If #1 has some industry or technical name for why the multi-level concrete.

Thanks!

Comments (9)