SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmoore7156

Want to convert my garage--would like opinions/advice

lmoore7156
8 years ago

We want to convert our garage into a multi-purpose room. It will have laundry, store bikes/surfboards/stuff, and have a couch and a tv. It currently is an ugly mess. We plan to sheet rock and insulate floors and ceiling. We want to do heat somehow with possibly a mini-split furnace or gas or electric fireplace, maybe a radiant ceiling heater...Does anyone have any experience with this and can comment?

My washer and dryer are in there now. After we convert the space we won't park cars there. It will be a play-room, hang out room, possible guest room if we can get it comfortable temperature wise. We live in the bay area so it doesn't get that cold or that hot.

The floors are just dirty concrete right now. Everyone wants to sell me Epoxy floor coatings. I don't really like the way they look so I don't see why I should spend so much money on them. Does anyone know what the point of those are? I really don't like the looks. Regardless, I will put an area rug down.

I don't want to build a sub floor and put laminate or carpet down because I want this garage to easily convert back to a garage if we were to sell and the new people don't want a garage family room. Though space is a premium in the bay area and no one seems to park their cars in their garages in my neighborhood. The garages are converted to something of function for every family around here.

I would like to porcelain tile the floors possibly. My neighbor converted her garage and just stuck the porcelain floor tiles right on top of them. Do I need to grind the floors down or could I just tile right over the raw concrete?

Then I thought--why couldn't I put down those nifty Runnen floor tiles from Ikea or something like them. Does anyone know why I shouldn't do that? I keep thinking I'll find a blog of a thrifty person who did that and can't find one. I do not plan to park a car on the floors. It seems like they wouldn't be too hard to remove if the next homeowner wanted a space to park a car instead.

Thank you!

Comments (15)