SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithigin

My bathroom is freezing

lithigin
8 years ago

We're redoing our modest MB (everything but the tub and maybe light fixture). Replacing 12" ceramic floor tiles that are constantly freezing cold. This bath has 2 exterior stone walls (drywall inside, not exposed) and shares a wall with our bedroom (our bedroom also has 2 exterior stone walls and is very temperate). We have one HVAC vent on the bathroom exterior wall, underneath a window that is a replacement but perhaps not a great one, not as good as the windows we put in (we kept this bath window as it was the only 'new' one at the time).

As we redo our bathroom, we would like to remedy so that it is temperate. Thank you for any ideas! We plan to do tumbled marble 2" floor tiles. Should I expect this to feel any warmer than shiny ceramic? I'd like to avoid covering our beautiful new floor with floor mats all the time, which is necessary now, in addition to a tiny ceramic heater for all shower time. We considered radiant floor but at $1k or so, it doesn't seem like the juice is worth the squeeze, and it will still be cold for the quick bathroom breaks. If the contractors go down to studs, I could have them put batts in the walls. DH says R-value of blown-in is far superior. Is there another idea I'm missing?

Comments (15)