SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

See my bathroom choices over at Bathroom forum

Nancy in Mich
7 years ago

Hi Smaller Homes Friends!

Progress is being made on my bathroom remodel. I bought an antique vanity to solve the problem of what to use that is no deeper than 18" and can allow me to pull up to the sink if I am sitting on my walker - or heaven forbid - if I ever need a wheelchair. Then I spent months going back and forth on what kind of sink to use. Finally, we just went to showrooms and ordered one we both liked that was practical and left room for a faucet behind it. Photos of all of these are in the thread I have over on the Bathroom Forum.

I also show three different choices for tile colors. I stopped by here this afternoon to post a link so you all could go give me your opinions on tile, but I could not stay awake. DH and I went to show him the choices tonight after dinner and we settled on a compromise. I will go over there in a minute and post the choice we made.

Just a few more choices and a few more purchases, and it will be time to call Jim to tell him to fit us into his schedule!

My bathroom thread

Comments (16)

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Nancy I remember visiting about your bathroom. Happy to see it starting to come together. Personally I LOVE the light green tile. The rest I am so not the designer kind of person. My only questions is the height of the sink. If you had to use it sitting down would it be way too high or is the vanity low enough for you to be able to reach.

Everything else is wonderful. I also loved the mosaic. OF course. It would be easy to do too. If done on mesh it could be shipped then installed. The glass would have to be the solid type not a clear color so the mesh would not show through. Outline it with your pencil tile.

I also loved the small square tiles. Such soft pretty colors.

Nancy in Mich thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Chris,
    I love the green tile, too. I just came across my graph paper plan for putting a tiny 4 ft tub in the half bath. That is my answer to people telling me that I can't remove the only bathtub in the house in the main bath. Maybe I could do that bath in green? Those tiny S. Lucia .5" tiles are so pretty in real life. I have some Oceanside Glasstile 2" x 2" tiles left over from the backsplash in my first kitchen. I used Midori green, also a pearly color that went from white to tan, and a bright blue in that backsplash along with tumbled marble.

I wonder if I have enough Midori and pearly tiles left to do something interesting in the small bath and something in the big bath. I know I had 113 2x2 tiles in all left over. They are around here somewhere. I got a cost from New Ravenna of $1000 to design and make a 16" x 20" picture of the pattern they call Willow. Like this one, but smaller. No thanks!

It makes me think that maybe I could fool around with extra tile and stones from jewelry and rock collecting and maybe create something myself. I have a few obsidian stones sitting here, waiting for me to decide to learn to chip them into something interesting! Of course, I think of you as I have these thoughts!

As far as the sink height goes, all will be well using my sit-on rollator walker. If I move to a wheelchair long term, we will have to consider a shorter sink. I have spent the last four months going back and forth about the problems we have to work around with this set up. If the sink is too big, the faucet has to go to the side because the countertop is only 18" deep. If the sink is wider than 20" and needs to be sunken into the counter, we have problems. We don't want a sink too small, or too shallow or too narrow front-to-back. I want it tall enough that I am not bending so far in the morning, 'cause some mornings I cannot reach the faucets to turn them on because my back is too stiff. Do we make the countertop really high, or just the sink and faucet? Then there is the front curve on the vanity. Do I try to get a top for a pedestal sink that has that curve and see if I can make that sit on top of the vanity, so that the sink looks all old and victorian, following the curves and providing a china back and sidesplashes because it is really a pedestal sink?

Elizabethan Classics ECET8WH White English Turn English Turn Pedestal · More Info

It would be nice and high, then. OMG, I have really done the rounds!

Finally, we went to a showroom, saw this sink, liked it, liked that it was only 13" front to back, so I could get a faucet behind it, looked at the faucets that would work, loved the elegance of the Brizo, and bought them before we could change our minds. We spent two times the cost I COULD have spent on a perfectly good set that was not elegant or a sure bet to work, size wise. This sink is not china, though. It is resin and volcanic limestone, so it will not break easily. It does not stain easily, either. Brizo is a division of Delta faucets, and they make a very reliable faucet with a very good warranty.

• Related Discussions

Finished Bathroom Pics (two bathrooms!)--very pic heavy

Q

Comments (41)
    Wooo!!! Cat, I am stuck at home because of the snow storm so wandered around here not looking at anything in particular and came upon your thread. I totally agree with you on the shower curtain choice. Regardless of whether I have the money to spare or not, keeping those suckers clean is a nuisance over time. We have a glass shower door that was installed back in 2003 and I can't tell you how much I hate cleaning it. Not that the door is all that dirty, but a shower curtain is way easier, and you can change the look/style whenever you feel like it. Can't do that with a pricey shower door. Anyway, everything looks lovely as usual, including the "prom" dress :-) Love, love those circular tiles, and the floor tiles that look like fabric. Gorgeous. What colour is that again? It looks greyish on my monitor.
    ...See More

Wainscoting height for my bathroom (x-post with Bathrooms)

Q

Comments (5)
    Well now if you stop worrying about every little freaking thing, what happens to us??? We're unemployed ;-) I'm trying to picture your layout but honestly it isn't clear to me. Generally I like to see something other than a 50/50 split but there are other things that come into play - how does that 50/50 or 33/66 relate to the finished height of your vanity counters, to the windows (if any) either at sill or apron height. I like continuity, too and like to see some relation to other horizontal lines in a space - expecially a space like a bathroom. But that doesn't mean everything has to end at the same height, just that you need to put those other lines into the thought process so you don't end up with staggered and unrelated horizontal lines all through the space. Clear as mud?
    ...See More

Need help with bathroom vanity - x-post with Bathrooms

Q

Comments (13)
    I had the exact same problem. I picked out the vanity I wanted but did not think about the fact that it wasn't made to sit flush against the wall. I spent a month looking for something else, but in the end we decided to go with something shorter and have it not be against the wall. But we were going from 72" to 60" which is probably not workable in your mom's situation. I did find a lot of vanities that did have flat sides and could work in a corner, if you are willing to have the countertop fabricated. They just need to not have any trim detail on the top or bottom like the one you picked out does. I would just look at the ones without the pre-made tops. Because the pre-made top will still leave you with a slight gap because of the countertop overhang. This is an example: Avanity Modero which is sold everywhere, not just at Lowe's. The cabinet we ended up buying is an Avanity Madison which won't work for you, but I assume it is of similar quality. We are pretty happy with it. The drawers and doors have soft close but I do feel like the glides in my Ikea kitchen drawers are better quality. It is very pretty and I wanted a stained wood so I am really happy with our choice. If I had been willing to go with a painted finish, I think we might have stuck with the 72" Modero.
    ...See More

Dillema over choice of finish for bathroom remodel

Q

Comments (2)
    Pics please I think you have a lot going on in a small space but without seeing what you have there is no way of helping.
    ...See More
  • Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Wel it is a Beautiful sink. it just looked tall. BUT if you say it works then it works. I do love it.

I know mosaics are spendy. It the willow one in glass or tiles? I can not really tell. It looks like glass. It wold be so simple to do. And if it is glass then you can cut and tumble all of it so there would not be any sharp edges to deal with if you backed into it. Too bad we do not live closer.

I am sure you can do some thing just as lovely. I love your back splash.

I have done a lot of my glass work on top of mirror. I use the mirror as the backing and the clear colored glass on top. This way the mirror shins through and it is really pretty. If you are doing this for the wall and not inside a shower it would be fine. I am not sure if the mirror would hold up inside the shower with out treating the back of it.

Nancy in Mich thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That is a great idea, thanks, Chris. It is not going in a shower, so the mirror would be fine. It also gives me a chance to use materieals with differing depths. The marble is so much thicker than glass tile or some of the stones I have. Given that I have no experience at shaping glass or stone pieces, building a picture onto a mirror means I can "butter" behind thin pieces to make them even with the rest of the materials. I will have to start looking at materials with an eye toward making something pretty to put on the wall!

I believe that both Willow and Climbing Vines are glass mosaics. I also like their stone work.

• Shades_of_idaho
    7 years ago

Most of the time , not always. Mirror is 1/8 thick and most stained glass is also 1/8. So the two layers give you a depth about the same as standard tile. Not the big heavy tiles. You can also use tempered glass,shattered as a pretty fill in and it is really nice over mirror. you can by 3/8 sheets in store supply places . Or the 1/8 at glass stores. It is a process to shatter it so ask before ding it.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

You gave my confused brain too many choices ;), but I have to say that I love the current color on the vanity! A mosaic/tile art piece in the shower stall would be nice, especially if you create it yourself, but maybe too permanent? And definitely too permanent on a wall (above the toilet). I think I'd use a replaceable piece of artwork--you could make one for each season, hanging it with a French cleat.

Nancy in Mich thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • desertsteph
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

" You gave my confused brain too many choices"

It did me too. I have problems with just a few choices!

I thought I'd add that I also have a problem envisioning those different items in a room I can't physically see. I have problems when I can see the room...

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, tomorrow I will go pick up the marble tile. I don't have the white tile yet, but maybe I will order that, too. Then I can lay out a "wall" on the floor, with the pencil molding and the decorative marble tiles at the top, finished with another pencil molding. You all can vote on the tile design!

Hi Momma Goose! The shower is going to be all Swanstone, in the color Ice, which looks like this

Just mottled gray and white plastic in a matte finish. I got so excited about the marble tiles I found and made Style 3A because they look so much like the Swanstone. They actually make the Swanstone look good. That was an accomplishment.

The Wall tiles are now going to be white 6x6. At the top of the wall tile will be a Carrara marble pencil molding, then two rows of a 3x6 marble tile, then another pencil molding.

The pictures in mosaic tile were for over the toilet, where there is a big empty space of wall, which was really empty looking since the rest of the wall is so busy. After talking with Shades, I learned that I can make a mosaic tile design on a mirror, so I could do a removable one, or one for every season - great idea, Momma! I still have lots of thinking and exploring to do on the subject.

Thanks for the opinion on the vanity color. I am not sure on it, yet, but I am fairly sure that I do not like the rubbed-through look. That means painting it. I am thinking of a clear blue color for the room walls above the tile. Like these?

Palladian Blue

Benjamin Moore White Water

Benjamin Moore Breath of Fresh Air

So, what that means for the vanity color, I have yet to decide. Violet? Blush? Not sure yet!

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wish the vanity looked in person as nice as it does in pictures. In real life, it is much bolder turquoise than in the pictures, where it looks blue.

How about I paint the wall above the tile Breath of Fresh Air (the bottom blue, above) and make the vanity Peace and Happiness. It will look good with gray and white marble tile and white ceramic tile.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi everybody! I have been waiting all summer for it to cool off. It seems that the heat makes my dizziness and nausea worse. I have lost about 15 lbs with being too sick to eat throughout the summer. I just this week got my helper here to help me clean the garage and then I moved the vanity out there and sanded it a bit in the easy places, and got it up on a table. I got the brass floor protectors pried off the bottom of the legs and was pleased to find no holes have been drilled in them. That means that I can drill holes for the feet I bought. I have adjustable feet that will give the vanity an extra 1/2" of height, and that can be screwed up to give another 1/2" if we want. That would make the legs appear to float way too high in the air, so I don't think it will work. the extra 1/2" will have to suffice, with the ability to make the vanity level so that the sink will drain properly.

I have also decided that the bail-type handles that came with it are not going to work for us. I can't see us fumbling around trying to grab the bail that has recessed back into the grooves of the handle around it, standing there with water or soap in our eyes. A knob is much easier to use. I had Hubby try using the bail and he vetoed it on the first try and said, "replace 'em!"

I am using these on doors of a set of shallow cupboards that will be recessed into the closet of the the neighboring bedroom. I figured they were a sure bet for the six drawers, too. I am not going to use the center drawer anymore, what with all the plumbing going on above it, so I will just fill in those holes. I need to cut away the bottom of the drawer space, then move the drawer support piece to the left or right. It is at dead center right now, and the sink's drain will need to go there. I just have to sand down the fluted areas of the vanity table, then it will be ready to be primed and painted. I am still leaning toward painting it the violet Peace and Happiness.

I have purchased more components for the plumbing. I have all of the shower controls and the rain shower head and regular shower head. Still need to get the hand-held and some safety hand-hold bars for the shower area. I still have not finalized a wall tile (looking at fake Cararra tile for the room's walls) or floor tile or the surface for the top of the vanity.

We HAVE concluded, though, that we cannot get this job done until Toby, our ever-more-confused beagle/golden retriever mix, dies. He will be 16 at the end of this month. He has spinal arthritis and began vomiting every time he was given his Tramadol or his glucosamine/chondroitin pills, then quit taking them. He had to go on prednisone to control the pain. He is peeing a lot in the house, always on a rug or quilted mattress pad put down for him. The bathroom is his main place to pee. I will not have my new floor grout saturated with dog pee. I don't think the poor guy would cope well with the construction, either. He is now blind in one eye and somewhat deaf. It would be too confusing for him to do all that construction. So even though I can't get Jim over here to do the work, if I could, I would not be able to do it until Toby passes on.

So, instead, we are getting new gutters and trim, and getting our four remaining windows replaced. We did the other three windows when we remodeled the kitchen and made the living room into the library/music room. I am in the process of cleaning and decluttering so the window guys can get in to measure!

• amg765
    7 years ago

I've seen the color Breath of Fresh Air on a wall, and it was realllly reallly baby blue. I like the Palladian blue much better.

I'm sorry your dog is not doing so well. Have you tried extended release tramadol? It's enteric coated so it's not bitter like the regular tablets and shouldn't irritate his stomach. I've spent the last few months in a battle of wits and will with my 14 y.o. lab mix (blown knee ligaments and sacral disc problems) to get him to take his tramadol. I'm still having a reasonable success rate with sneaky tricks and the nastier smelling pill pocket flavors, but the ER tramadol is my backup plan. The downside is that it is more expensive than the regular and it may not come in a low enough dose for a smaller dog. He's never liked the flavored glucosamine pills, so I buy the trader joes glucosamine capsules (for people) and mix the powder in with his food. According to his vet the next med option if the rimadyl/tramadol/glucosamine isn't working is adding or substituting gabapentin.

Nancy in Mich thanked amg765
  • Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Fishcow! I had not heard of the coated Tramadol. Toby was switched to Gabapentin and then we added the steroid when it was not enough relief for him. In between Prozac was added, too, and even a neutraceutical for anxiety. We are trying lots of things, that is for sure! The other night I got him to take his old Neutricks, which he used to take for canine dementia before he started to refuse them. He took it two nights in a row, then refused it again.

Thanks for the review on the Breath of Fresh Air. I will likely end up trying boards of both colors before I decide. I had a half dozen or more swatches painted in two areas of the kitchen/family rooms for a good year before we did the remodel and actually chose one. We got Valspar "lettuce." Palladian Blue was in the running that time, too.

I actually have the vanity out in the garage and am sanding it. If we got a couple of days in the high 60s, I could prime it. Lord KNOWS what color I would paint it, though! Peace and Happiness?

• desertsteph
    7 years ago

oh good. been wondering about you!

Nancy in Mich thanked desertsteph
  • Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    7 years ago

HI Steph! I have been spending my internet time in the facebook communities for my illnesses and also in the Bathroom area, still hemming hawing about which tiles to use, which shower base to use. Oy Vey! If Jim would simply say he was free to do the job, I would buy everything and be done! But with no Jim, I don't make final decisions. I am slowly moving that way, though. I just bought escutcheons to go behind the chrome and glass knobs I posted up above, though. So each of the six small drawers will have that knob with a 1 and 1/2" round plate with some rope trim on it, behind it on the wood.

I also made a decision about the address numbers on the front of the house today. They are coming down with the work that will be done, so I sent for a new plaque with our address on it. So I am making progress, slowly! We will have our gutters replaced next month, and for the first time in 10 years of living here, will not have a dangerously icy walk between the driveway and the front door!

• Todd Black
    2 years ago

Asit, agree with you

I'd also add that a small toilet like those models would fit nicely!

Sponsored
Northern Virginia's Residential & Commercial Landscaper