SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katonahmom

Cold kitchen to be renovated-1880 victorian

Katonahmom
8 years ago

We are renovating our kitchen this spring and I'd like to get some advice on heating our always cold kitchen. We are in 1880 victorian in southern New York with a hodgepodge of hvac. Most of house is radiator heat, one room has radiant floor heat and kitchen has 2 baseboards and 2 toe kicks in the island but the room always feels cold. The temp on the thermostat in winter is always about 5 degrees below the setting which we have on a programmable thermostat set to heat at 68 degrees from 6 am to 11 pm., when it goes down to 59. 1 of the baseboards can stay with the renovation though it's not pretty. It's 5 feet long near the kitchen desk nook area (8 feet x 5 feet). The other baseboard (4 feet long) is where a future floor to ceiling cabinet will go- this is in the main part of the kitchen that is 20 ft by 13 ft.
We have hardwood floors and will have Quartz counters- another chilly surface.
We added an in floor ducted ac when we moved in though some of those vents will have to be moved due to cabinetry.
I know converting toe kicks is an option, though noisy.
Is adding a ducted heating system for this old house kitchen an option? I read about mini duct heating. There won't be a whole lot of floor space for addition baseboard once cabinets are in because there are 5 doors/entrances into the kitchen.
Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

Comments (6)