SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smwilliams317

Would like a "clean", desert-friendly tree for my backyard...?

smwilliams317
8 years ago

Hi there - I know very little about trees, so please be patient with me and my lack of understanding. I live in Glendale, AZ where we have extremely hot and dry summers and mild, slightly wetter but still pretty dry winters. The hightest temps can climb to be around 120 degrees in the summer and it usually never gets below 20 degrees in the winter.

I'm looking to put a small to mid size tree in my backyard that will not require too much water (we do not have a drip system), that will provide some shade, and will not drop much of anything. When we first moved into our home there were two large and very overgrown mesquite trees in the backyard that dropped a lot of pollen balls and seed pods pretty much all year round. They were easy to care for because they did not need much water, but cleaning up after them was a lot of work. Eventually we had to remove them due to my husband's allergies. I really would like to have trees in our backyard again, but this time I would like something that doesn't create such a mess and spread a lot of pollen. I would prefer a tree (I'm not all that interested in cacti or palms).

Does something like this exist?

Comments (14)