away but it is insane. It almost seems fake because there is so much
footage taken over the years. No, I don't believe it is fake at all just
very thorough. I don't think I can post spoilers as this was a real
event so... I think he is innocent and it's totally criminal what is
happening to his nephew.

Comments (65)

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

Wow, wow, wow is all I can say!! Poor Brendan Dassey--that kid is so clearly innocent. The blood in the vial, the judge not allowing the cell phone message erasures, the lawyer "representing" Dassey and his investigator making that poor kid draw what they told him to. I can't believe this stuff is real! As a little aside, remember the state attorney general who ruled that Manitowoc county did nothing wrong in their pursuit of Avery for the rape? Her name is Peg Lautenschlager and she was arrested for DUI while driving a state vehicle. Interestingly, she is married to a retired Neenah police officer, and Neenah is not too far from Manitowoc.

• workoutlady
    8 years ago

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life, although I live far away from that area. I remember when all this happened. My problem with the series is that it is a show for the innocence of Steven Avery and was paid for by those in the Avery camp. This show does not show the evidence that was gathered against Steven Avery - this was left out. I do not believe that Steven Avery is innocent. I believe the nephew had a part in this but I believe it was Steven Avery that threatened his nephew. I'm not sure that the nephew should be in prison.

We can't make a judgement for innocence or guilt based on this series. Both sides need to be shown, which was not.

• Related Discussions

BIG news for this worm grower/murderer

Q

Comments (5)
    If I had to have only one container of worms it would be that cloth sided worm inn. I am just too cheep to purchase it. The zippered top would keep flying friends from annoying family. I would put a chair in front of it to keep an eye on what is going on inside of it. Have a tri fork tool. Keep a dishpan or 5 gallon bucket under it for any drips or crumbs. Vacume the area around it frequently to keep it nice for the non womers in the house. My non wormer family would be happier that way. I should do that. If the normal process of turning waste into valuable resource was more well known and used as it should be then the topic would maybe not hold so much interest for us. Seeing resources that could be used to improve life tossed in the garbage or down the drain is shocking when one knows what they are looking at. My town gives each household a huge trash can that can only be lifted by a special truck. For many households this is not enough so they are over flowing each week. What kinds of lives are they living that are this garbagey. Each household also has a huge recycling bin. The people probably just want to be assured that they are more important to you than the worms are.
    ...See More

need buffet sugestions for murder mystery party new years eve

Q

Comments (18)
    Maggie, There are several companies that make the murder mystery parties. I like Murders by Vincent, BePuzzeled, or a la carte. They seem to be the easiest to use. They come with complete instructions on what and when to do things. The last one I did was called Chinese Takeout(I got it on ebay) and I did just like it said. I got chinese takeout. I sent a menu from the local chinese restaraunt and everyone told me what they wanted. I got lunch portions because they are large enough for dinner. I prepared the appetizers except for the egg rolls they were included in lunch. For desert I served bananas and strawberries with strawberry gel on top and brownies just like at our local chinese buffet. Once I decided what game I wanted to play I looked over the suspects and assigned charactures from there. When you send out the invitations you let each person know who they are and the invitations have a brief descritption of each character and what they would dress like, along with a story line giving city, year that kind of stuff. Your guests do not HAVE to dress in character but it does make it more fun. My husband was the chef, so we borrowed a chefs jacket and I was the long lost daughter of the woman who was murdered. My character was very excentric and didnt like things that matched...how easy was that. When the guests arrived as appitizers are being served with coctails everyone is given a script ( almost like a little brouchure). It tells you more about your character and tells you how to play the game. Normally in part 1 that is done over appetizers and it will tell you what to disclose and what not to tell, it will also guide you to ask questions of other people there. If everyone is new and has never played this before it does not hurt to ask if everyone has told everything they need to before you go to the next part ( or Act) and course throughout dinner. I normally try to do appitizer, dinner, dessert & coffee. Just remember that if you do one of these, that if everyone you invited does not show up ...you cant play unless they are a non suspect. The game we are doing on newyears eve I have one guest that is very very shy and wants to come but is not real sure how much they will participate so I am making him a non suspect that way he will participate as much as he wants. The best part of these parties is the party favors......I love that part. I found some small wedding photo albums at the $ store and bubbles, and with elvis being there I also had to get the new reese cups that have peanut butter and banana and a picture of Elvis on the front...I hope I didnt go on to long and I hope this was not too confusing...its been a long day and if I didnt answer all you questions let me know. Oh one thing I forgot you can buy these games at target they are about 25.00 but if you "WIN" (that makes me crazy) one ebay they are usually pretty reasonable. Donna
    ...See More

netflix suggestions

Q

Comments (83)
    After watching Justified (I am nearly finished) I am on to Deadwood. I never thought I would like it but it is a period show and has Timothy Olyphant playing a similar character as he does in Justified. I adore his character on Justified... plus just looking at him! lol So, I think I will really like Deadwood. Will keep you posted!!
    ...See More

Garden Pests Need to Die

Q

Comments (10)
    I've got the same "problem", the last two nights the dragon fruit plants have had tons of flowers open. And the bees were all over the open flowers early in the morning, flying all around and buzzing away.Probably my own fault, since I let X-teen thousand live in my back yard. A local lady who is with the extension service/Master Gardener and used to write a bi-weekly garden column for a local paper. Heard her speak a few times, she tells a story of when ever she would do an column about backyard butterfly gardening. After a few weeks of the article she would start getting the phone calls and emails....."I saw your article about butterfly gardening, planted this, this, this and this like you recommended, but now I have caterpillars eating the plants. How do I get rid if the caterpillars?"
    ...See More
  • trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

" My problem with the series is that it is a show for the innocence of
    Steven Avery and was paid for by those in the Avery camp."

I don't think it was pro avery innocence, I think if anything it leaves you with more questions than anything about how the justice system can operate poorly. How do you know the avery's paid for it? I think that's unlikely since everything they had went into the defense effort, they couldn't even raise his bail so I just doubt they had the funds to back this 10 year project. The prosecution and teresa's family were asked to participate but both declined so they only had access to public footage of their side which they included.

After the series came out, the prosecutor made no secret he was not happy that his own scandal was mentioned in the series, and he tried to dismiss the series with his "facts left out", but actually all those facts were more like gossip and innuendo. e.g. the towel incident, the judge heard the work colleague testify that it was more of a "ewww moment" teresa and the colleage laughed about it, and the jury was excluded by the judge from hearing it.

• User
    8 years ago

Bottom line, her cremains were found on his property and she was killed with the gun that belonged to Steven Avery. No amount of tom-foolery from law enforcement could frame Avery for this incident.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

There's a lot of debate out there about this, especially since many of the actual trial and investigation documents have come out and a lot more anomalies have shown up.

I haven't really wanted to discuss this here because I think there's a lot of emotion on both sides of it.

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

Junebug and workoutlady, I'm wondering if you watched the series? The reason I ask is that I firmly believed Avery was guilty also, until I watched the series. I read all the pro and con articles and couldn't imagine law enforcement being that corrupt, but now I'm not so sure. As to the Avery camp paying for the doc, I hardly think so. Those people are poor as poor can be, and also very uneducated. Did you catch in the series where Brendan asked his mother what "inconclusive" meant, and she didn't know? And she was the smart one!! Bones can be transported easily and planted, and guns can be stolen and used and then put back. THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE WHO COULD HAVE DONE THIS and the fact is that none of them were investigated. Police investigated the Avery property some 18? times without the family being present. This is almost unheard of. These people had no idea of their rights, and were taken advantage of and there was ample opportunity to plant evidence.

I heard that a famous internationally known lawyer, Kathleen Zellner, is taking the Avery case. I went on her website and it shows her successful court cases and amounts awarded. Interesting read, in the multi-millions. She has gone on the record to say that Avery is innocent and it is obvious in the court documents who the guilty party is, and she intends to prove it. And if she does prove it, Manitowoc county is going to WISH they were being sued for only 36 million.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That made Brendan's situation just so much sadder. The one person he was relying on for some direction was so ill equipped to help him, and it seemed to take her a long time to realize they were just using him.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

It's been several weeks since I've watched the series, and in the meantime I've done a lot of reading on Reddit and other websites where individuals have spent hours and hours pouring through the documentary footage and the court file and have come up with some pretty amazing theories. For those interested, you should give them a read, they are quite compelling.

If nothing else comes of the documentary, it has sparked an interest in the criminal justice system, and I hope this will encourage much needed reforms that people traditionally resist - such as increased public defender funding (the Len Kachinskys of the PD world are not uncommon) and juror system improvements.

I am still not convinced of Avery's innocence. But I am convinced that no reasonable jury could (should) have found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence submitted at trial. I know without question the murder did not happen as Ken Kratz alleged (vicious beating, rape, slashed throat in the bedroom: shot 8-10 times in the garage). It's an impossibility that a murder that bloody could have every bit of DNA wiped clean, while still leaving dust and dirt on top of the dresser, on the floor, etc.) Anyone familiar with the OJ Simpson crime scene photos knows what it looks like when someone is stabbed and their throat cut. For that reason alone, I believe Avery's conviction should be overturned, or at a minimum, he should be granted a new trial.

The question I continue to struggle with is this: did the Manitowoc police frame a guilty man? It's possible. I have thought to determine what evidence remains of Avery's guilt even if you exclude the suspect evidence. (The key, the blood in her car, and the bullet.) You're left with the fact that Avery was the last person Halbach was known to have been with. You're left with her bones in his burn pit intertwined with tire wire on a night it is undisputed he was burning things. You're left with her car in his salvage yard, her skull having a bullet hole consistent with a .22, the type of gun he owned. You're left with an FBI tech testifying that ETDA was not in the SUV blood (and therefore could not have been planted from the old blood vial.) These are the reasons I cannot get behind his innocence.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

" You're left with the fact that Avery was the last person Halbach was known to have been with."

It's hard to say if this is true or not since it largely relies on bobby dassey's version which seems iffy to me. Avery said she took photos and left and he put the magazine and bill of sale in the trailer (kratz said this was evidence teresa was in the trailer but that's a stretch since all customers were given this.). When he went to find bobby, he was gone "hunting". The propane truck driver also testified he saw her rav4 leave the property.
    It's also possible that when she couldn't find the zipperer house, she went to the avery yard first, then on to zipperer's afterward. Even after he was told teresa was missing, mr z angrily insisted she be charged with trespassing. Unfortunately mrs z was unsure of what time she was there that day, but there is a recording where weigart implies the zipperers were believed to be her last stop.

There's also no photos of the remains in the fire pit, they didn't take any which is very unusual not to do when a murder victim is found. Even the coroner was kept away from the scene so the details of what was even found there were not documented as they should have been.

There is just nothing about this case that makes any sense, including why avery would leave with the family for the cabin, leaving the rav4 so poorly concealed - too risky. It would make more sense he would stay behind while everyone is away and crush it.

I do agree that there is just no way the murder occurred the way Kratz said in either the bedroom or the garage, there's just no blood at all. I think the main reason they didn't get a fair trial is the pre trial press statements made by kratz. avery and dassey both convicted of the same crime but in two different scenarios is just nonsense.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

"It's also possible that when she couldn't find the zipperer house, she went to the avery yard first, then on to zipperer's afterward." This is totally plausible, for sure, and has been the subject of a lot of debate. However, from the call logs that were released, it shows Halbach calling the Zipperers at 2:12 pm, with a call duration of 1:09. Mrs. Zipperer testified that she didn't hear the phone ring, but Halbach left a message saying she was on her way, but was having trouble finding the property. Zipperer didn't retrieve this message until later, and Halbach had already found the property and showed up by then. The Zipperers state she stayed about 15 minutes. The next call is from Avery. Then Halbach calls Auto Trader to tell them she's on her way to the Avery property. We'll never know for sure, but I think it's a fair conclusion she had already left Zipperers and was on her way to Avery. I believe we could conclusively determine the order of the visits by looking at the order/digital timestamp of the photographs that were on the recovered memory card. Had someone done that, this debate would be over.

" I think the main reason they didn't get a fair trial is the pre trial press statements made by kratz. avery and dassey both convicted of the same crime but in two different scenarios is just nonsense." SO MUCH THIS. Kratz should have been disbarred for his pre-trial conduct. His actions foreclosed Avery from ever getting in front of a fair jury. After hearing the gruesome (and totally baseless!) details in that press conference, people would have concluded him a murderer on that alone.

As to your other point, some states have restricted prosecutors from pursuing alternative theories of crimes once someone has been convicted under one set of facts. So if a prosecutor gets a 1st degree murder conviction by alleging that person A strangled person B, the prosecutor cannot then allege that person B was killed via gunshot by person C. (This is a very rudimentary description of the law with many exceptions), but you get the general idea. Brenden's attorneys should have been able to introduce evidence from Avery's trial that showed the prosecutor having a totally different theory of the crime - but I don't know if WI law permits this.

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

Where are you getting the Zipperer information? I don't recall ever even hearing anything about them during the series.

I just finished my MaMu binge, thanks to a cold rainy weekend. I found it so disturbing (among many other disturbing things) when Kacinske's investigator called the Avery family incestuous criminals, every one of them. And Kayla Avery has to live with the consequence of her lies for the rest of her days. Granted, she admitted under oath that she lied, and that took courage. But her credibility was tainted, too little, too late. The images of Avery's parents was heartbreaking.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

The Zipperer information was not detailed in the series. However, the call log was introduced into evidence at the trial. The log can be found here: http://www.makingamurderer.org/wiki/index.php?title=Phone_records

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

" I believe we could conclusively determine the order of the visits by
    looking at the order/digital timestamp of the photographs that were on
    the recovered memory card. Had someone done that, this debate would be
    over."

Yes! I wonder if this was ever done? It would seem logical to look into that at the beginning.

I also think if they had called in the experts to collect the remains properly and document them with photos, it would be much clearer if the remains were burned there or moved there. Without photos, there isn't even any evidence they were ever there at all. There is also documentation that her remains were released to the funeral director long before any autopsy was performed, and they never did get a full dna profile off the remains. I've also wondered how they could match dental records from a tooth fragment?

I suspect there is real evidence out there that may clear some things up, and I'm hoping zellner, with the resources she has can do this. I've had my own suspicions on who may have killed her, but I believe virtually all the evidence is suspect and just doesn't add up but whether or not this case can be properly investigated after all this time, and determining what if any of the evidence was legitimate is going to make it extremely hard.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

"I've had my own suspicions on who may have killed her..."

Care to share? I love hearing alternate theories!

"... but whether or not this case can be properly investigated after all this time, and determining what if any of the evidence was legitimate is going to make it extremely hard."

I absolutely agree. When an investigation is conducted with the purpose of gathering evidence that points to one person alone, any exculpatory evidence out there may be long gone, making the job of clearing an innocent person virtually impossible.

If you really want to add to the mystery of "who done it," (and drive yourself absolutely crazy with intrigue), google Edward Wayne Edwards with Steven Avery's name. Here's a start: http://crimefeed.com/2016/01/fbi-cold-case-investigator-claims-serial-killer-edward-wayne-edwards-killer-teresa-halbach-framed-steven-avery/

You're welcome. ;-)

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

Zellner sounds pretty optimistic that she can and will get an exoneration. And if Steven is exonerated Brendan would be, too. I watch a lot of Forensic Files, and it's almost always a close family member or friend. Why was the stalking ex boyfriend not thoroughly investigated. Especially after it was obvious that he erased his messages to Theresa? That has to be illegal, tampering with evidence. The incompetence in this investigation is mind boggling. Steven being the killer makes absolutely no sense. I did just see a FF episode where a man killed his wife and filled every orifice of her body with an accellerant and burned her in a burn barrel. It took all night to burn her, even doused with kerosene. I know what burning flesh smells like, and it's not pleasant. SA was not burning a body in that fire pit.

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

Jay, I read that article and was reminded of it when I saw that clip from the show yesterday. He was clearly standing in the frame and watching what was going on. Interesting theory, and not impossible.

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

After watching that you tube clip of the investigator who brought the involvement of Edward Wayne Edwards to the Avery family I got chills when I heard that Ryan Ferguson was exonerated for a murder he did not commit. I recognized that name as someone Kathleen Zellner had represented and won a huge civil judgement on. I had seen his name on her website. Then the investigator talked about Zellner taking on Avery. It's all starting to make sense. Zellner must thing it's Edward Wayne Edwards!!

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

"Care to share? I love hearing alternate theories!"

Nothing very earthshattering :), I've just been suspicious that according to avery it seemed bobby disappeared just after teresa left, so I've felt he may have followed her. There was also some damage to the turning signal light on the front of the rav4 that I haven't seen explained anywhere so I have suspected bobby and tadych may have staged a minor accident with her and when she pulled over they abducted her. I felt their alibi, of passing each other on the road as they were out hunting seemed flimsy at best.

It never made sense she was murdered at the avery yard, and the two of them were virtually unaccounted for at the time she would have left the property. Also the co worker who said tadych was trying to sell a .22 just days later, and someone noticed blood on his clothes that he tried to explain away as a laundry mix up or something. Tadych's version seemed to change too from his police statement to his testimony, and they just seemed a little too willing to point at avery for the prosecution.

I know it's not exactly concrete or properly fleshed out, it's just a hunch that kept nagging at me. I came to that conclusion before I finished the series and didn't just decide that after reading that other people were suspicious of them too but if bobby followed her from the property, it would be a good reason for him to say the last he saw her she was walking to avery's trailer, takes the heat off him.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

jay, you said you had a theory too, but I don't think you posted it? I also still think crazy old zipperer could have got confused and shot her for trespassing, he seems some what paranoid and I think he may have dementia, although I just think there is something not right about bobby and tadych's story.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

I was suspicious of Bobby and Scott Tadych as well. Their mutual alibis seem weak at best. However, I think Zellner is headed in another direction. She tweeted a written statement from Steven Avery that said, "I want everyone to know that no one in my family including me was involved in the murder of Theresa Halbach..." On top of that, Zellner has publicly stated that, "There was a very poor investigation done of the victim's background, who she was involved with and circumstances of her life."

So, I think she's focusing more on perhaps the boyfriend who appeared awfully stalker-ish to me in the series.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

oh yeah, I'm very convinced it was the ex phoning her and he deleted his own messages from her phone account. Him and the brother were so nervous and sketchy when being interviewed about the search of the avery property so it's very possible. It was also so odd that he referred to them as "long time friends" when they had dated for years, like he was really trying to downplay the relationship. It's just incredible that all of these people were not treated as viable suspects at the time, there is so much odd behavior all round.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

My theory? Sure. It's kind of what sleeperblues was referencing above. I've read that upwards of 90% of murders are committed by a friend or family member. Throughout the series, I got unrelenting bad vibes from both Theresa's ex boyfriend (and her brother, for that matter). There was testimony from Theresa's AutoTrader co-workers that in the days leading to her murder, her phone would ring and she would make comments along the lines of, "Ugh, not him again..." So I think someone was most definitely harassing her via the telephone. I believe that person was Ryan Hillegas, her ex-boyfriend. I think he was also the person who deleted the messages off of her phone, given that he knew her password. I suspect he made some threatening calls to her, or left messages asking her to meet him at a particular time/place where he then killed her, and later deleted those messages. I think he stashed her car at the salvage yard and then "led" the search of the yard making sure that the car would be discovered by crazy Pam Strum. I think that before the search, he informed Colborn that the car was there, Colborn confirmed it (via the dispatch call running the plates he could never explain away), but knowing Colborn could not seize it given he was unlawfully searching the property, they staged the big public search of the salvage yard.

All that said, Steven Avery is still my #1 suspect. ;-)

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

PS - I'm also wondering if the brother and Hillegas weren't having a secret love affair that Theresa was threatening to expose. ;-)

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

There is definitely something hillegas and the brother were hiding, whether that was just to do with the rav4, or the phone calls is hard to say. I have a feeling that various people have information of certain things, but very few know the entire story of how things were fiddled with. there was so much odd behavior like almost everyone was hiding *something*. Even pam sturm's story is odd, how convenient that she started searching so close to where the car was, it was almost like she knew where to look ;)

"I'm also wondering if the brother and Hillegas weren't having a secret love affair that Theresa was threatening to expose"

do you really think so? I'm not sure if you were joking about this or not! :)

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

No I'm not joking. There's something going on there.

• Cookie8
    Original Author
    8 years ago

These are my suspicions also. There is no way I believe that the murder took place in the way it did. I don't think Steven Avery had the capacity to clean the scene up as suggested. If he did, he would have found that bullet. I don't know if he is innocent but I don't believe he is guilty in the way everything was presented. I also have distrust to all surrounding and they weren't investigated enough - the law enforcement, Steven Avery's brother in law and nephew, her brother and ex-boyfriend. It's all mind-boggling suspicious. They were so focused on what they think happened (or how they wanted in presented?) they didn't expand beyond it. Just like when he was incarcerated the first time.

Funny how, when you watch it, you are shocked at the criminal process, time passes, and you almost forget about it and move on. That is what happened with me anyway and I do feel bad about that.

• foggyj2
    8 years ago

I was mesmerized when I first watched this case on Netflix. I watched the whole thing, and had such mixed feelings, I could not come to a conclusion. I thought Avery's lawyers did a great job, and probably would have voted -not guilty- had I been on the jury. But then, I hear there was a lot that was not presented on tv. Bottom line is for me..Steven Avery, and his family would make easy targets for fraudulent activities by police, or whomever else would want to frame him.

I can't wait to see what the new lawyer can bring to bear for this case. It's so confusing in so many ways, and the possibilities are so many, that it must be a nightmare to figure it out, especially since so much time has passed.

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

I thought I saw that Sturm was given a map of the Avery property with that bank of cars circled? I dunno, maybe I dreamed it. Anyway, God led her there.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

A quick update from a Newsweek article I read today:

Asked whether she and her team have identified suspects in the case, Zellner says yes—and that they are all men who knew Halbach. “We have a couple. I’d say there’s one, leading the pack by a lot. But I don’t want to scare him off, I don’t want him to run,” she says, explaining why she won’t say more. In that same conversation, Zellner said both law enforcement and defense attorneys failed to investigate Halbach’s life, noting that the victim was a very nice person just starting her career. When told that sometimes people who are very nice can still be murder victims, Zellner agrees, adding, “And women who have bad judgment about men are murdered.”

• Cookie8
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think the comment she made about living her life, that if she were to die, she was happy was very odd....and possibly, telling?

• User
    8 years ago

Cookie8

I think the comment she made about living her life, that if she were to die, she was happy was very odd....and possibly, telling?

VERY odd, I thought at the time while watching. She was way too young to have those sentiments.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

atomic, I read something similar and she also alluded to teresa phoning someone the night before she disappeared? twice, who has recently been arrested as a sex offender? Maybe she was alluding to the phone calls she was receiving, not sure. It doesn't sound like she is focusing on the avery camp at all so it will be interesting to find out what she comes up with. I seem to remember she also stated that no one followed up on the phone information that seems to show teresa leaving the property and heading away for about 12 miles before it stopped pinging off towers.

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

I read that article, Jay. It was very interesting. Kathleen Zellner went to the same university I did, Northern Illinois University. I just saw that today. For some reason I cannot link the article. It is long and has a video of Zellner talking about Making a murderer and how it was good for the public to see, that evidence CAN and has been planted. Yes, those video clips of TH were odd. I wondered what would make her say something like that?

• User
    8 years ago

Yes, those video clips of TH were odd. I wondered what would make her say something like that?

I wonder if TH was a bit buzzed at the moment? Waxing philosophical for some reason? At any rate, I felt that it was included to cast some doubt towards her brother and former bf.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

Let me see if I can link the article. It has a lot of great information. How impressive that a fellow alumna has become involved in what may be "the" case of the decade. She sounds like an amazing attorney, and interesting woman.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/04/08/kathleen-zellner-making-murderer-attorney-steve-avery-441470.html?rx=us

• sleeperblues
    8 years ago

You did it! Great, thanks. I don't know why I'm having trouble linking. She may be a fellow alumna, but I didn't know her. She must live near where I grew up because her office is in Morton Grove, not too far from my parents house.

• User
    7 years ago

Wow, just wow. When I watched, I was appalled at how he was taken advantage of due to his poor intellect.

• Vertise
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I haven't read all the comments, but I watched this saga on one of the forensic CSI shows years ago. Avery seemed overwhelmingly guilty as I recall, got out and murdered again. It was a shame how his nephew got involved.

He wasn't made into a murderer, he was one.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

snookums - "...got out and murdered again."

Stephen Avery was in prison for a wrongful rape conviction. He was exonerated by DNA evidence. He was not previously convicted of murder.

I only saw bits and pieces of the documentary and he seemed guilty from the little I saw but I wouldn't go out on a limb and say yea or nay. Someday I might watch the whole thing.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I will have to look it up to refresh my memory. I thought he was convicted of killing Theresa at his home business, was let out as falsely accused later and then murdered again after release.

I saw that CSI a long time ago. He did not seem innocent to me, there was a lot of evidence against him, even if I don't remember the case very well.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

Oh! I didn't know he killed someone else, too

• Vertise
    7 years ago

okay, so my recollection is reversed. Theresa was murdered after he was released from serving a rape and attempted murder charge.

He was already corrupt and immoral, evident from age 18.

Anyone who can douse an animal with gasoline and throw them on a fire - and then excuse himself due to hanging with the wrong crowd? - will not get any sympathy from me.

It was Theresa's murder story that I saw, apparently after his first release. There was a lot of evidence against him. He did not appear to be innocent (or even questionable). He was a sociopath before that ever happened, which is why she is dead.

As often happens with animal abusers, they move on to people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Avery

btw, DNA evidence is not infallible. There is more to it than meets the eye. Even DNA evidence, as well as eye witness accounts, have been proven wrong.

• AtomicJay007
    7 years ago

snooks -

If you have time, read this entire thread. I think you will find it quite interesting. I share some of your views about Steven Avery, in particular the animal abuse. I think that is a sure sign of bad things to come.

However, while there is certainly an underlying question of "is he guilty or innocent," the meat of the discussion is really more focused on the manner in which the trial was conducted and whether was it "fair" to convict him and his nephew Brenden based on the evidence that actually went before the jury. It's far too much to regurgitate here, but there were many, many highly inappropriate things that took place regarding evidence collection, ignoring other leads, and purposeful leaking of false information by the district attorney. I'd say that most people who've closely followed the trial as presented in the documentary walk away not with a sense that Avery is innocent, but with a sense that the criminal justice wholly failed to give him a fair shake at proving his (possible) innocence. I've said before, I walked away with the impression that there was no way any unbiased jury could have found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt based on the evidence presented in the trial. I've also said before that I would not be a bit surprised to learn that the police framed a guilty man.

If you are at all interested in this kind of story -- one about the systemic issues, more than just guilt vs innocence -- I think you'd enjoy watching the entire series.

• trancegemini_wa
    7 years ago

There is more to it than meets the eye. Even DNA evidence, as well as eye witness accounts, have been proven wrong.

It was the sexual assault victim's IDing that got Avery convicted the first time, and it turned out she was wrong. The DNA which exonerated him was very compelling. It was matched to a serial sexual predator who went on to attack other women while Avery was locked up (until he eventually got caught on another one). There were also two separate law enforcement agencies who contacted the sheriff's dept to say they believed this other guy might be the attacker and not Avery and they were right. It's why he was suing the sheriff dept, former sheriff and DA at the time he was arrested for murder.

I walked away with the impression that there was no way any unbiased
    jury could have found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt based on the
    evidence presented in the trial. I've also said before that I would not be a bit surprised to learn that the police framed a guilty man.

I felt the same Atomic Jay, I think there were too many questionable things about the evidence and investigation for him to be found guilty. He's no saint for sure, and he may have even murdered her, but the investigation was really questionable, as was that pre trial shock fest press conference the prosecutor put on, based solely on Dassey's coerced confession. I can't believe that was ever allowed, especially in a small community where it would definitely taint the jury pool.

• User
    7 years ago

Steven Avery was wrongfully convicted of a rape. He was released from prison then sued the police department for wrongful conviction, or something like that. Just days before he was to be paid out (an amount so high, the county would have gone BROKE!) a woman just happens to be found murdered on his own property! Really? It was a 100% complete set up by the town police because they didn't want to pay him out and go broke. He was framed and framed really well. More and more evidence is coming out proving his innocence.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

Are you saying you believe the police killed Theresa and planted her on his property so the county wouldn't have to pay him damages? ($36 million?)

• Vertise
    7 years ago

It's also very odd that this guy is always wrongfully convicted. Just like it was the fault of the bad company he was keeping when he doused a cat with gasoline and threw it on a bonfire.

• trancegemini_wa
    7 years ago

It's also very odd that this guy is always wrongfully convicted.

Not when it's many of the same people involved. They set him up for the wrongful sexual assault conviction, it seems based on the fact he was a bad apple, there was a huge law suit pending when he was charged with murder (which brought the whole thing to an abrupt end.)The sheriff and da were well aware of the other suspect (who's dna was eventually matched to the crime), but did nothing to prevent the wrongful conviction, in fact others in the sheriff's dept were also aware, so I think he had a very strong case that this was not just a mistake on their part, they actively avoided investigating the person who turned out to be the true offender.

I think there was more behind a reason to frame him though for the murder and there were other things they didn't want to come out. If Avery won his lawsuit, I think it would have opened the gates for all of those sexual assault victims who were attacked after Avery was locked up to also have good grounds to sue due to the misconduct. The sexual assault victim in the case became openly critical of the sheriff's dept at this time too, once she realized they put away the wrong person, she was personally told by the sheriff to ignore the information she received about the other suspect in her case before Avery was even found guilty of her sexual assault. There is something very wrong in this sheriff's dept imo. They seem to be fine with coverups and a code of silence when it suits them when they should be holding themselves to high standards.

I get the temptation to think he was a lowlife who tortured a cat, so lock him up anyway, but once you give LE a pass on ethics, protocol, conduct, they can target anyone. Not all wrongfully convicted are going to be as squeaky clean as Ryan Ferguson, but the law should be above those types of judgements when convicting people. Lastly he wasn't always wrongfully convicted, he was convicted for what he did to the cat and went to prison for it, I don't think anyone would say that was wrong at all but particularly in a murder trial, a person should expect a fair process even if they are guilty then no one will turn around 10 yrs later and question anything.

• sleeperblues
    7 years ago

Snookums, you need to watch Making a Murderer. I felt exactly like you do before I watched it. You really cannot have an intelligent conversation about this topic without having watched it.