SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jah1108

Need sofa advice! Ethan Allen or Pottery Barn?

jah1108
8 years ago

Hello, I am looking at purchasing either an Ethan Allen Spring Down sofa or a Pottery Barn sofa which has a foam core wrapped in down.

This sofa will get heavy use and the concerns that I would like to avoid are 1) saggy looking cushions that I have to fluff, especially the back cushions, and 2) feathers leaking. I know these problems can be avoided if the quality of foam is good and down-proof ticking is done well. So not sure which company has better quality. I think it may be Ethan Allen and I know they have 3 year warranty on cushions, but the PB sofa is extremely comfortable in the showroom! The Ethan Allen spring down feels more firm.

Does anyone have feedback on sofas from EA or PB on either of these 2 issues??

Thanks!

Justine

Comments (234)

• Heather Whiteman
    3 years ago

Noosh :

I have Rowe Robin Bruce sofas that i bought through a designer I was working with-ugh! The warranty on fabrics does not apply if you have pets. The down wrap cushions need to be stripped and fluffed constantly. The fabric has long threads and comes apart at the seams. The love seat is small-tip dont do a love seat do chairs of if you must, do a

bench cushion.Rowe Chairs-the swivel has broken on each of them. The upholstery has shifted so the piping is off. No one really sits in the chairs. The designer, who wasnt great, no longer sells Rowe.

• Noosh Ebrahimi
    3 years ago

Hi Heather!

sorry to hear that.

I have an old Rowe sofa from 15 years ago and still holding up. I have just regular cushions. With down cushions, you will always need to fluff them but I’m sure it depends on the brand too. I ordered down in my new sofa and was thinking I might get a bit annoyed but just went for it b/c it was so comfortable when I tried it out in the store.

• Related Discussions

ethan allen bennett sofa

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, I've read -- I'm not sure where -- that Ethan Allen has "proprietary" construction techniques. If I remember correctly, there is a Comsumer Reports article that gives Ethan Allen the highest rating, but I think they were comparing just low- and mid-range sofas. Can't recall what the criterion were for the rankings, maybe someone here is a Consumer Reports subscriber & can pull & summarize the info from CR archived reports. We decided against EA because we're hoping that we can do better price-wise and quality-wise from outfits that specialize in upholstery. EA in the last few years has switched to "every day" pricing with their mark-up built-in. You also can't do COM with them, as I believe that they want to make a profit on your fabric choice as well, but others may speak to this better--I'm still trying to educate myself!! My sister-in-law furnished her Florida condo with a couple EA upholstery pieces, they were floor samples--the only way you can get EA discounted now. The sofa is quite comfortable. Michelle
    ...See More

Pottery Barn vs Crate and Barrel Sofas

Q

Comments (9)
    I agree that reupholstering your EA sofas may be the way to go. I have a pair of hand-me-down 60 yo EA Bergere chairs and they're in wonderful condition. They're well-made, comfortable and came back to life with new upholstery. Of course, if you don't care for the lines of your old EA sofa, then there's nothing to be done for it. I bought a vintage sofa on Craigslist for $25, found 13 yards of fabric at an outlet for $37 and had an old country preacher reupholster it for $350. All told, I got a new-to-me sofa for just over $400. I wouldn't rule out EA, Thomasville, Drexel today. Their reputation is that they're pricey, but they've really had to drop their prices to stay in business. I was in EA this spring and they had a slipcovered sofa for $1200 or so that I looked at long and hard before going my vintage-cheap route. I've never heard a bad word about PB, et al, so I dug up the article lovesummer mentioned. I'd be very interested in these same folks looking at their furniture today. That article is now a full 3 years old and I've seen plenty of blurbs in the PB/C&B catalogs touting improved quality and value. Interesting findings. Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Unstuffed
    ...See More

Ethan Allen Retreat - Do or Don't?

Q

Comments (16)
    Thank you all for your help. :) Chris, your sofa is beautiful! And Fori, I go through the same thing at dinner, only my son (who is nine!) likes to use his shirt...while the napkin is right in front of him. He's a work in progress! Carolina Kitchen, we like the Borini gray; it's kind of a herringbone look, and the weave is pretty tight, which I was thinking/hoping would resist snags. I'm not sure if they'll give me a sample, but I'll ask. Good idea! Chris, did you buy the extra five year warranty?
    ...See More

Ethan Allen a quick ship fabrics

Q

Comments (13)
    Christopher, thanks for the rendering it looks great! The windows at the top of the picture happened to be French doors that lead into the living room. Knowing this would you still do a sofa that extends past the opening? Or would you push everything back? That is the biggest issue I am having right now is organizing this room, the French doors. Behind the sofa area on the left, is a round kitchen table and then the kitchen. So I can’t go to far back.
    ...See More
  • kzcampbell
    3 years ago

I didn’t know how to start a new thread but...
    I am looking for a new living room chair, either a recliner or push back. What I really want is Hancock and Moore their leather is so superior to any others however I’m looking at $4-5,000 for one chair and there are so many other things I want. I’ve looked at the Pottery Barn Tyler recliner and at one at Ethan Allen both are far less but the leathers are not as nice and I doubt they are made as well. However all are made in NC. Hancock and Moore will replace cushions 20 years later if needed. Should I just bite the bullet and do it? Does anyone have experience with PB or EA?

• Laura Fahr
    3 years ago

@kzcampbell I've been looking at recliners for a long time and have selected one of the Lee Industries recliners over our second choice, the Crate & Barrel Declan recliner. Crate and Barrel also sells Lee products so the designer in the store worked with us and based on quality we decided to spend about 15% more (after upgrading the Declan fabric) and go ahead with the Lee 1835 from a Lee distributor. Although initially we wanted leather, we couldn't quite justify spending another $1,200 for a leather recliner. If you can swing it, go for it.

• kzcampbell
    3 years ago

Thanks I really want to sit in one first so I will see who sells Lee around here.

• ulisdone
    3 years ago

I don’t know where you are located, but I have seen Hancock and Moore leather recliners in stores in NC for about $2300. These are not online retailers though.

• kzcampbell
    3 years ago

I’m in Chicago and they are 4,000-5,000. I do have two retailers in NC I have purchased from before but I feel so guilty when my local store has spent so much time with me, they just don’t have many to sit in and they are never the ones I like.

• catwintersteen
    3 years ago

Be aware Rove Concepts. Reviews on Yelp are terrible, turn me off immediately.

• catwintersteen
    3 years ago

Turned

• lbezdek21
    3 years ago

If anyone needs any help deciding NOT to blow your money on a Pottery Barn sofa, my exact model of sofa is being given away for free on Facebook marketplace- at 5 years old, the 3500 York Slope sofa is that worthless.

• Noosh Ebrahimi
    3 years ago

Hi All! Updating the group here on my Lee furniture that I ordered on 12/30/20 - was supposed to get end of March. They are dealing with Covid delays and the next date I was given is mid May. I can’t be upset - it is a pandemic after all 😊. I’ll write an initial review once I finally get my furniture!

• Jem
    3 years ago

I'm waiting on 2 sofas from Crate and Barrel same date. (on top of Covid) there was a freeze in Texas that shut down the refineries that produce the chemicals used to make the foam for upholstered items. The automobile industry is dealing with the same delays(seat cushions)....

• Tamara Robinson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I was torn between PB and Ethan Allen when I was looking for a sofa. This is the Ethan Allen microsuede sectional I end up getting. It was slightly more expensive than the ones I considered from PB and CB, but not a deal breaker.

My two dogs and I use it almost every day(they actually use it more often than I do). On a few occasion, my guest preferred sleeping on it to the mattress in the spare bedroom. The cushions are the sweet spot between firm and soft and it’s a great Sunday afternoon nap location. It was pricey up front and delivery took longer than I would have liked.

We bought this sofa in 2009. It held up to four moves and three different dog. The sofa needs a good shampoo, but it still feels great with no sagging whatsoever, I think we got a terrific deal. The La-Z-Boy Amy sofa in the den is two years old. The frame is okay, but the cushions are mostly foam and now smell a bit too much like dog.

Assuming the company hasn’t slacked on quality, go for Ethan Allen. I also have dressers and an armoire purchased in 2003 that are real wood and look like new.

• Tamara Robinson
    2 years ago

The EA sofa bought in 2009- the picture didn’t load in the post

• HU-180460520
    2 years ago

@kzcampbell i am in chicago area as well.. i have 2 hancock and moore (jou

rney lounger and miller bustle back lounger) that i will be selling $1000 each chair. Let me know if interested.

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

Thanks I ended up ordering a Bradington Young recliner they use the same leather as Hancock and Moore though not as many color choices. We drove all the way up to Benson Stone in Rockford, beautiful store worth the drive. If I had the room I’d jump on your Journey chair. 29 weeks for delivery.

• Missy Bee
    2 years ago

I also have Bradington Young leather recliners—good quality always.

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

Can’t wait for mine but about 25 more weeks!

• Noosh Ebrahimi
    2 years ago

@kzcampbell - good luck! I’m at week 21 and they are saying it will ship at the beginning of June. So I’ll be probably at week 25 or 26 if I’m lucky! The entire supply chain is so backed up!!!

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

Yes all businesses seem to be having the same problems.

• Nellah
    2 years ago

Hello to all of you who've contributed to this thread. I'm in the process of searching for a sofa and so glad I found all of your comments! I've made a list of all the brands to look into and to avoid. I had been looking on Wayfair because I've had such good luck purchasing other things from them. But then was looking at PB and so happy that I googled PB reviews. I need a 76 or 77" sofa for my space. Anyway, I'm going to take all of your suggestions and start the hunt. I've heard that with the supply chain problems right now, it could take up to 8 months to get a sofa. Thanks again!

• 1998lee2015
    2 years ago

@Nellah, I am very well versed on the supply chain issues and back log of orders. Not only is the back log due to supply chain issues, but an increase of home furnishings being ordered. Instead of traveling during Covid people updated or are in the process of updating their homes and furnishings. The freeze in TX this past winter caused a problem with production of components that are used in the making of foam cushions.

In June we had a higher end recliner delivered (ordered Dec. 2020), the seat cushion didn't last two months (and no, neither my husband or I are over weight, even by medical standards) my decorator felt that in order for the supplier to catch up on back orders their cushion vendor may have used inferior or the wrong amount or type of product for this cushion. The chair will be replaced. In March we had two matching higher end swivel chairs delivered (same order/different brand as the recliner).

There was an issue on the upholstery not laying flat down the one side, and puckering of the upholstery on an arm. The chair was pickup from my house in May to go back to the factory for repair, it has yet to be returned.

So whatever you order, upon receipt inspect it from top to bottom, side to side, front to back. Document/take pictures of any concerns while the delivery crew is still on site.

On a side note; I am looking for a sectional, currently focusing on, Ethan Allen Huntinghouse House, and PB, the first two high on my list. I am considering looking at Sherrill, Century, and possible Taylor King.

Good luck in your search.

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

I ordered a Bradington Young recliner in March and still don’t have it. I’m not concerned I was warned when I ordered.

• beeboo22
    2 years ago

I didn’t read all the comments but hoping this helps someone— Pottery Barn furniture is horrible! We bought a leather recliner 2-3 years ago and already joke about putting it on the curb. We should have bought a US made chair from a local store. Would have cost about 5he same with much better quality. Never again!

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

We looked at a Pottery Barn recliner before I ordered Bradington Young and they said their furniture is made in the US now.

• beeboo22
    2 years ago

I I just checked their website and confirmed the one we bought (the Tyler) is definitely imported. So glad you went with a different company and hope others do too.

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

I guess someone was fibbing to me. Hmm

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

I have been buying Amish furniture for case pieces. I haven’t been able to find a bed or chest I like yet though. My brother sells it and he said they will make whatever I want.

• latoran
    2 years ago

I have owned 2 Pottery Barn sofas and would not buy another. They all are beautiful, however not comfortable over time. The cushions get very soft, not enough support. I love the washable slip covers and the frame seems solid, but the cushions are terrible.

• dianabreen
    2 years ago

The original poster posted five years ago. At this point they might even be on their second couch.

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

I had a Pottery Barn slip covered sofa 20 years ago down filled it was wonderful until I started having back problems and finally had to replace it. My son had it for another 10 years. I replaced it with a Smith Brothers which I find to be too firm. Ethan Allen had a sofa I love as does Hancock and Moore but we are going to NC next month and I’m going to do some shopping!

• D W
    2 years ago

Www.Joybird.com, well made, great selection and customer service.

• LC Stam
    2 years ago

Hi, new at this, but wondered if anyone knows who makes Fulton Lane. I have been in a coup Stickley stores and they have a lower priced brand called Fulton Lane, but when I question who makes it or where's it made, they won't give a clear answer.

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

If the Fulton Lane stuff was made in upstate NY I'm sure the Stickley sales folks would be shouting about it. It is probably contracted out and made in another state or country with lower labor costs. I notice the Stickley site says the Fulton Lane collection is "curated" so it might come from lots of different places.

FYI I have always found the NY made Stickley furniture to be of great quality and beauty, but if we are talking about some amazing furniture I like Carl Hansen...just be prepared to open your wallet really wide.

• jules2764
    2 years ago

Anyone bought a sofa at Arhaus?  Looking for reviews.  We stopped by the store today and their Pavo sectionals are gorgeous and made is North Carolina.

• Noosh Ebrahimi
    2 years ago

update: i got my Lee furniture 9 months after I ordered it (lost count). It is beautiful. Was a sofa and 2 swivle chairs. I ordered with down cushions and so far all good. I’ve had the set for 4 months. My dog seems to be enjoying it too. Even though I got midlle/high end fabric, I still cover the sofa since my dog is 40 lbs with big paws/nails

:-)

• Laura Fahr
    2 years ago

@Noosh your sofa and swivel chairs are gorgeous. I too just got my Lee recliner (already have a Lee sofa) after waiting 8 months. Worth the wait. I upgraded the seat cusion for a little extra firmness.

• Noosh Ebrahimi
    2 years ago

@Laura Fahr - That’s a gorgous color! Beautiful!

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

There's a lot to be said for buying sofas and chairs you really love and will stay with you for a long time and that's why I like companies like Lee that have a long history of making good furniture. I'm not sure of the quality or longevity of the sofas from the large home goods catalog companies. I always wanted a Stickley settle and Morris chair and so I've really been enjoying them since I bought them and I know they will last.

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

Love this chair.

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

Beautiful it will last you a lifetime.

• lilywags
    2 years ago

I'd like to hear how folks purchase sofas when you can't actually sit in one before you buy. We're looking for a new sofa and I'm seriously reluctant to order something I can't try first....no matter the manufacturer. How can you possibly know how it will feel, whether it will be too shallow or too deep, too firm or too soft?

• kzcampbell
    2 years ago

Don’t do it. I’ve done it before and am always disappointed. I recently bought a leather recliner from Bradington Young that I couldn’t sit in. I thought trying a similar one would be ok but it wasn’t. I would keep looking all over town until you see one you like. Or make a trip to Highpoint or Hickory.

• Noosh Ebrahimi
    2 years ago

@lilywags I measured my current couch b/c i wanted similar dimentions. You got to be thoughtful of how you measure. i ussed that as my guide. Then in the store i tried different coushins as the shop is setup with various options. giood luck!

• Janet B
    last year

Lilywags - I 100% agree, I would never do. On the other hand I went into my local Pottery Barn store to try out the Tyler recliner, it was one of the most comfy chairs I’ve ever sat it, I ordered it based on trying it out, the two I received were absolutely nothing like the store model, cushions were not even made the same . I returned them. Now Pottery Barn is being sneaky on their website, the “in stock & ready to ship” is completely misleading and they know it. I ordered items 2/12/22, with delivery date given by end of February, which turned into “oh it’s being made overseas and blah blah blah. I received items almost 3 months later & it was just bedding. They refused to cancel my order when I noted the change of delivery a couple days later, even acknowledging it was 3 months out. Only after I spoke w/ a supervisor offering to text him my screenshots of order date & delivery info with 2 weeks given, and he even argued that the estimated date could be extended by months, I disagreed and held to how misleading the company has become. They graced (sarcasm) me by accepting my return as I had already purchased elsewhere and had long before PB order finally arrived. I have lost all my trust in this company. I think it’s time their CEO stands down and hire a leader that actually wants to run the company with integrity & transparency. She has ruined the company name but she doesn’t care obviously, she made about 24M in 2020. She will one day walk away with more money she’ll know what to do with, but leave the company in shambles. When I googled their reviews, it’s very very sad.

• patricia peloquin
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

After doing some shopping, Taylor King, Smith brothers , Cr Laine, Century, Ethan Allen, White and Wesley hall. Quality products, reflecteed in the price

Leather: Hancock and Moore (the best) followed by Bradington and Young

• momiss12
    7 months ago

I’ve had the Pottery Batn Turner sofa in signature leather for a few years and i still enjoy it. It has been holding up well. I think the PB Comfort may hold up better though, i’d choose that if I were to purchase again.

• Missy Bee
    7 months ago

I would never order cushioned furniture on line. Comfort is first priority.

• kzcampbell
    7 months ago

I’ve had a Smith brothers sofa for about 13 years it gets heavy use and looks almost new. But it is firm it’s what my husband wanted I’d prefer something to sink into but it replaced a down filled sofa I loved but not very good for my back. My husband is sloppy and any spills have washed right off and it’s a light beige. It hasn’t sunk in at all.
    I regret however not getting the Hancock and Moore recliner I loved and opted for a Bradington-Young. The leather is Italian, untreated and gorgeous but I had to have someone out to fix the footrest and a couple of screws have fallen out from underneath and it makes a popping sound when I recline it, it’s electric. And the back isn’t that comfortable. I have a friend with several that are manual and very hard to push back. I waited 10 months for it. You get what you pay for.

• lorenamichelle
    7 months ago

Hello! I’m researching quality sofas. I need to replace the Rowe furniture I purchased in 1997. It’s actually still in pretty good shape for it’s age, in spite of kids, the numerous dogs we’ve had over the years and me. The slipcovers have not been so lucky and the springs on one side could use a little tweeking. The cushions are still plump (no sagging). It seems like so many quality, reputable companies have changed and I just don’t know where to look for quality replacement pieces. I do live in North Carolina. I don’t want to waste money on furniture that won’t last. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH