SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryeirvine

hybrid musk and teas/chinas for sf bay area

Hi everyone. I recently started my first rose garden with the advice I got from this forum- mainly choose what works locally and go for old garden roses. Based on that, I've got a nice little collection planted, but could still add a few more ;) The front yard is mostly full sun and the back yard area gets half day (morning) sun. I'm in the Oakland Hills/Piedmont area- mostly sunny and mild temps with occasional fog. PM is sometimes a problem from what I'm told. My soil is alkaline heavy clay (with lots of amendments) and I use drip irrigation.

So far I've planted a bunch of polyanthas (Cecile Brunner bush, La Marne, Perle D'or, the Fairy, and Phyllis Bide), two hybrid musks (Robin Hood and Felicia), and one tea (Monsieur Tillier). Also a couple moderns (Iceberg and Carefree Delight). I'd like to get another 5 or 6 roses: more hybrid musks and some tea/noisette/chinas. I'm not fussy about scent or prickles, and I'm open in terms of color and size (though under 15 feet is best). The main things I'm looking for are health, vigor, and lots of repeat blooms. The more bulletproof, the better. Ideally the roses won't take eons to mature as I may sell my house in 3-5 years and hope to get some enjoyment/gratification before then!

I've combed through old threads here, but still have trouble pinning things down. So many roses out there! I'm considering:

hybrid musks: Cornelia, Penelope, and Ballerina

tea/china/noisette: Madame Berkeley, Mrs BR Cant, Le Vesuve, Maman Cochet, and Reve D'or

Any advice on the above or other picks for my area is greatly appreciated. I plan to order from ARE and/or Chamblee's.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz