SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Thoughts, please, on this inspiration picture

mrspete
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This is my bathroom inspiration picture:

Our bathroom'll be a little wider than this one, but this is the general layout and look that we want. We'll have large windows much like this picture, and we'll have a small linen closet on the end of the tub /in the spot that wouldn't show in this picture.

Things I'm thinking about:

- We will probably be going with a tub set in a deck instead of a claw foot tub; however, clearly much of the charm in the above picture comes from the vintage-style tub. Our reasoning: This is our retirement house, and we're thinking that a deck tub is better for aging in place; I mean, we're thinking it's easier to sit on the deck and swing your legs into the tub -- function over form. Do you think a tub in a deck is a design mistake?

- I'm considering pedestal sinks. If I change out the vintage tub, should I go with the pedestal sinks for their look? I'm thinking maybe I ought to have EITHER the vintage tub OR the pedestal sinks -- one or the other. But I'm unsure about that.

- This picture shows a pale green wallpaper on the upper wall. I want to go with a blue-with-grey-undertones instead, still in this pale value, and I'll probably do a stencil instead of wallpaper. Not a significant change.

- I don't want to use wood on the floor (I mean, it's a bathroom, the chances of water on the floor is about 100%), but I think that warm dark color kind of acts as an "anchor" in an otherwise pale space -- but I also know that color is my weak point, and I often choose poorly.

I like small-tile floors; for example, hexagon tiles or penny rounds -- but I'm thinking that something so small would be out of scale in this room.

Maybe 12x18 mottled brownish tile? I could do wood-look tile, but I'm concerned about a poor transition at the bedroom door, where the wooden floor will meet the bathroom floor.

- Are those marble tiles on the back wall of the shower? And obviously that's marble on the sink. I hate marble. I'm thinking a white Corian (or maybe quartz) for the sink top ... and simple white porcelain tiles for the shower. Thoughts?

- I had kind of wanted white plantation shutters, but I think this bathroom benefits from the softness of the fabric roll-down shades. Thoughts?

And thanks.

Comments (28)

• mrspete
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just stole this picture from another current thread. How would this simple tile floor fit into my inspiration picture?

Or how about basketweave tile in brown:

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

I think the wood floor and the tub pretty much make that bathroom what it is... nothing wrong with a tub in a deck but I don't think it will look the same. Maybe look for inspiration that matches your more practical requirements?

For the flooring if you want that look just go with wood - lots of people have real wood in the bathroom, you could match your bedroom. Or if that would worry you, wood-look tile perhaps either in a different style and color to mark the transition or try to blend it.

I think if you change the flooring and the tub you won't have the same style or vibe to the photo.

• Related Discussions

Shower Niche Inspiration Pictures, Please?

Q

Comments (4)
    There was, I think the title was something like, What size is your shower niche? Lots of inspiration there. Mine is currently at an earlier stage than Lauraella's. At the moment it's a magic marker outline on cement board.
    ...See More

Need Your Thoughts On Cooktop Hood Height, Please--Picture

Q

Comments (3)
    Mine is recessed into the ceiling and is basically just a hole that goes into a chimney like exhaust in the roof. It's about 66" from the top of the stove. I had a similar one in Culver City in a second floor apartment, and doves would sit on the chimney and coo. It sounded like they were inside my kitchen, and it took me the longest time to figure out where they actually were. I haven't felt the need for a hood, but if I burn something (which is rare), I have to get a floor standing fan and have it blow the smoke out the window or out the door in the adjoining laundry room. When I lived in Austin, I had a hole in the kitchen wall behind the stove, but at least it had a fan in it. What I have now has no fan. I'm not sure what it would be like to have a hood, since I can't remember having one. I have a picture of my kitchen in Austin somewhere, but I don't know exactly where. I'll try to look for it. Lars
    ...See More

Craftsman Inspired/ Craftsman Light - Thoughts? (Cross Post)

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks to both of you, to clarify, I was going for a floor plan similar to that linked, with a facade similar to the picture (neither exact, as they don't match perfectly). It's hard to tell from the picture, but we have a very steep slope just past that tree line (we have a lot of work in our future cutting some zig zag paths down to the pond). That, coupled with a very deep front setback requirement (40 ft from property line, approx 60 feet from road), leaves us with a max house "depth" of about 45 ft (including any porch on front) before we get into prohibitively expensive sloping terrain. We can go as long as we want to go, but we're trying to stay with a 1500 sq ft foundation. If we do a side load garage, with our slope, we're talking about a significant extra cost in retaining walls along the side of the driveway. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. In this area of Iowa, 95+& of garages (even on very expensive houses) face front. I guess that's why a front-facing a garage door really doesn't bother me. Update - we have a draft of the first floor plan... what do you think? For context, top is north, view is to the north. Neighbor to the east (right) is quite a distance away, and there are trees between. "Back yard" would be to the east. My first thoughts - garage and dining room/living room area might need to be a foot or two bigger. Need to add a fireplace and windows to living room. We'll have 3 bedrooms upstairs (plus bathroom and possibly bonus room), and will eventually have a rec room/wet bar/in-law suite in the walkout basement. I don't have drafts of those yet I really want a first floor master bedroom, which coupled with my max depth requirement, lends toward a little different thought process for the floor plan.
    ...See More

Pella Door Glass options - Please share pictures and thoughts

Q

Comments (9)
    I have searched the net and have had a hard time finding examples. I also went into the store, and all they could show me was a 4x4 piece of glass in the various styles. They had tons of clear and maybe two other kinds of examples on the floor, but a majority they did not. I am going Pella, because that is what my builder uses. I am not using clear glass because there is a direct shot from the front door to our couch, and the thought of anyone coming to the door and having a direct shot of the couch creeps me out a bit. Plus, this house is going to be on a college campus, so a little bit of privacy would be nice. Thank you to everyone who tried to help!
    ...See More
  • neonweb US 5b
    8 years ago

I think the footed tub gives you the look your going for that a drop in will not do. All the seniors I know prefer the shower, so give your self ample room for a shower bench, grab bars, and have the handheld low enough to use when seated.

I don't care much for pedestal sinks because they don't supply any storage below or area to set things on the counter above. They make it hard to keep the bathroom looking uncluttered.

Some of the wood flooring they have now will be fine in a bathroom and you can use the same kind in the bedroom. I also think you could do tile on the floor if you find the right one. Not really feeling any love for the brown ones....maybe a black tile, with bronze hardware.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Beautiful inspiration pic!

The tub is a major design element. Maybe a carpenter could design a custom stool to assist with getting into/out of the tub. A good stool would probably be better than using the edge of a deck tub.

Don't forget about grab bars.

If you don't need the undersink storage, pedestal sink(s) will help maintain the look. Someone on GW posted a pic of how they put cabinet(s) next to pedestal sinks, it looked great.

I have transition of HW and wood tile between my bedroom and bathroom, it looks fine because they are different enough so it does not look mismatched.

I think shutters and plain white tile would look just as good.

JMHO

• Olychick
    8 years ago

if you use oak in your bath with a poly finish (I used a Swedish finish) it is virtually waterproof. They build boats out of oak. If you have a major leak it will likely ruin any floor in a bath if it gets into the sub floor. I think the wood floor and the claw foot tub really define your inspiration pic, a tub in a deck would lose the visual openness at the floor. I agree with others about the impracticality of pedestal sinks. I wonder if you could design grab bars into the edge of the linen closet?

Here's a tub with built in grab bars:

• rockybird
    8 years ago

I love the clawfoot tub. I would keep to that. I think it really makes the room. I would not want pedestal sinks as I like having a little counter space. I like your idea of a quartz or corian instead of marble. I'm scared of marble too (but I still may use it in my new bath somewhere). I think the tile might be too light. I was against wood until I read the comments. It sounds like it can be made more water resistant? If you cant do wood, what about the wood look alike tiles? Or do you think those might be too artificial? I love light blue or mint in the bathroom.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, y'all have convinced me that the tub can't change. I think I knew that but was falling victim to "confirmation bias". The hard thing about the tub is that my husband insists upon a molded seat and arm rests in the tub -- he really, really cares about these details. Yes, I can find an Ultra Bain tub that fits these requirements, but only one ... and it's larger than I'd like. Oh, it'll fit, but I didn't really want a tub this big. It's not a clawfoot tub, but it is freestanding and oval, and I do think that's close enough.

Yes, I'm already thinking about grab bars -- both for the tub and the shower. The tub we'll probably end up with comes with integrated grab bars. The shower is absolutely large enough, and we're already on board with the curbless /no barrier entry.

I like the look of pedestal sinks, and I've seen nice pictures of them with storage cabinets right next to them ... but I'm thinking we'll stick to the pictured vanity (with only one sink, of course).

I'll do some research on wooden floors in the bathroom. I don't want to set myself up for trouble, but I really do like the look of the wood in this picture.

And THANKS for all your thoughts and ideas, folks. I'm open to more!

• User
    8 years ago

My oak hallway and powder room floors have a Swedish finish. It's a tough finish and I highly recommend it. We do have a small puddle stain near the toilet tank, which I think might have been from dripping condensation. Behind the pedestal sink is a bigger stain, which is probably from water dripping when cleaning the sink.

Our upstairs washer overflowed and the water poured through our kitchen lights and flowed onto the hallway. The water took 20 minutes to clean up but the hardwoods did cup slightly. Insurance would have paid to refinish the entire hallway and powder room, but I wasn't going to live in a hotel room with a cat for a week. Of course the tiled kitchen floor wasn't harmed at all.

This is pretty cool for a long narrow bathroom. You could put the small tile in front of the shower.

Bathroom - Bastasch Residence · More Info

I just posted on another thread about larger hexagons, anywhere from 4" - 8". It could be too busy with everything else going on though.

Cross St · More Info

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I like the basketweave pattern. It would make a nice "rug" or "runner" in the bathroom. I don't think it's necessarily the wood floors that are making the bathroom, but the color.

As for the tub, I have a tub deck now, and I don't think it's any easier to get into and out of than a clawfoot would be. You still have to climb over, etc. Get what you love.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

For your husband's concern about the comfort of the tub and arm rests, have you considered a slipper tub with a higher back for lounging and lower sides where he could rest his arms? If you have a plumbing supply place near you maybe there's one he could try? (This isn't a great example, just the first one that came up when searching.)

• Meris
    8 years ago

There's some amazing wood look ceramic tile that would give you the look you want with the ease of ceramic.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like those hexagons -- in a color other than gray -- but not in this application.

Floor: I'm thinking I want tile, not wood -- call me paranoid, if you wish, but I'd feel safer with tile. And, yes, I want the ease of ceramic; it's hard to argue against it. I'm thinking I'll go with a wood-look tile ... and since it won't match the bedroom wooden floor exactly, I'll go with perhaps 6" of 1" white mosaic tile as a "buffer" ... and use that same 1" white mosaic tile on the shower floor.

Here's the tub that I think will work -- as I said, I'm concerned that it's larger than I really want, but I found a store where I can see it on display (hopefully sit in it), but it's about two hours away and with exams /final grades coming up, it'll be a bit 'til I can go see it in person. Here's the picture:

It's not a clawfoot, but it is freestanding.

My husband is very fussy about his tub, and -- after he found a perfect tub in a resort -- we've searched for a tub with these details. He isn't fussy about too many things, but I want this to be "just right" for him.

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

I think if your DH insists on a tub like that (which is fine, of course) you will need to shift your vision for this bathroom. That tub is much more modern looking and I don't think it will tie in with a vintage style.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Agree. Also, I would travel if necessary to find a display that I could sit in--that seat looks very uncomfortable to me and I wouldn't buy a tub like that without trying it, that particular model, not just something similar.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is the only freestanding tub I've found that includes the molded seat and arm rests, and I think it might end up being a compromise between modern and Victorian.

The seat is to the left /kind of out of the picture ... you're looking at the footrest. Note the direction of the arm rests. He is dead-set on these features, but, yes, I know where I can see this particular model -- I'm just not able to make it over there 'til exams are finished.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Whew! I thinking that seat looked like a misericord. It's hard to say without seeing the outside of the tub, but it looks like you could go transitional and still work in some of the details from your inspiration pic.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

You might look into glue down cork tiles for the flooring.

Pedestal sinks are the worst of all worlds in my opinion. A pain to clean around, no storage, no space to set your toothbrush and hairbrush down. Wall mount at least makes it easier to clean and a vanity offers storage.

If the tub is a must, I think you need to start with it for your design. Find pictures you like with similar more modern tubs.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

That bathroom is soooo pretty! The only thing keeping me from giving it 10 stars is the floor. I'd love to see a dark wood (wood tile) floor with that beautiful blue-green paint and white marble. But, I think I read earlier that you would have to match a connecting wood floor. Good luck with your choices :)

• Debbie B.
    8 years ago

I agree you should get what you love, and I also agree you should prepare for the future, which you are doing with the shower. I'd recommend putting the grab bars in now, not waiting until you "need" them. You could slip tomorrow and break a hip. That's not the time you want to go out shopping for grab bars.

I'm only 55, but I have severe rheumatoid arthritis that was diagnosed when I was 2 years old. I'd love to take a bath, but haven't been able to for about 2-3 years now. I use a shower chair in the shower. I couldn't use the chair mdln posted because it doesn't have arms. My balance is too off and I'd be terrified sitting down and standing up from it. I also couldn't use the two aids pictured above that are to help people with disabilities get in and out of the tub; I'm not saying they're bad products; I'm sure they help a lot of people! But it really depends upon what kind of disability you have and how severe it is. The one thing that came close was the photo of the claw foot tub with the big grab bars.

One thing you could do to help you plan is to visit a small, independent drug store that carries aids for ADLs (activities of daily living), and ask them to show you what they've got. You can explain your thinking and they will be thrilled to show you everything! There are literally hundreds of aids on the market for assisting people with their ADLs...for instance, I have a form thingy that I put my sock over and then, using long cloth strips, I can put my foot in it, pull on the cloth until the form comes out, and voila! I put on my own socks! Most of the people who own small independent drug stores are really nice people who really care about their customers. I'm not saying you have to prepare for Armageddon, but it would be nice to kind of know what's out there for when the time comes down the road.

As for floors, I've read hundreds of people, just on these gw forums that either despise or passionately defend every material out there. If correctly installed, just about any floor you choose should last a long, long time. But if you have a major leak or water disaster, no floor on earth will live through it. So get what you love! :-)

I've thought a lot about these kinds of questions because I bought a house in October and am going to spend the next 3 years or so remodeling from top to bottom. I'm trying to use universal design concepts everywhere, particularly the kitchen and at least one bathroom. I use a walker now, and it's highly likely I'll be in a wheelchair sooner or later. I can only afford this remodel once. It will need to last me the rest of my life, so I need the house to be able to accommodate me come what may. That's also why I've agonized so much over things like wall color and back splashes and lighting fixtures--I don't get a do-over. I'd better get it right the first time and still love it in 30 years.

To be perfectly honest, I genuinely think your bathroom would look fantastic with the tub your DH wants and the design elements and colors you want. I think it would be unique and special to both of you because you gave him the gift of the tub, and he gave you the gift of everything else.

I hope this helps! :-)

Here's the type of sock aid I use:

• lkplatow
    8 years ago

Honestly, I would go back to your tub-in-a-deck idea before going with such a modern-looking standalone tub. I have seen several really nice implementations of tubs in decks that keep that vintage/cottage feeling. There's a user on here named Polly929 who has a gorgeous "decked" tub in a vintage style bathroom. You can see if if you scroll down on this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3490847/clawfoot-or-drop-in-help-me-decide?n=11

That's my thread - I was in a similar boat -- wanting the look of a clawfoot but the practicality of a tub in a deck. (And I agree with you as far as the decked tub being far better for aging in place -- no offense to the posters who suggested them, but those stools are not exactly pretty and not something I would want to feature prominently in a new gorgeous bathroom!)

I ended up ordering the microsilk drop-in tub which I plan to undermount in a soapstone deck. I'm hoping I'll end up with a look similar to polly929s. Our contractor can't start til March so I won't know the final result for a while.

• enduring
    8 years ago

Something to think about. The windows will have to be tempered glass I believe due to the proximity of the tub.

• Debbie B.
    8 years ago

IKPlatow, I read the other thread and agree that Polly's bathroom is amazing! Sometimes you have to sacrifice beauty for practicality; disability aids are what they are, but one could store them away when not in use. Nevertheless, a drop in tub with a surround like Polly's would be the easiest tub to get in and out of, whether it's just age or disability. My daughter takes a bath every single night. She sometimes lives with me and that's the reason I'm getting a tub. If it were just me, I'd get a walk in shower, since I can't use any tub. My bath in the MB is just a half bath, so I think I'm going to steal a little space from the bedroom and build a walk in shower. My issue with the tub is that the house I just bought is an old 1979 mobile home. The tub/shower surrounds they put in those things are cheap, lightweight plastic and very small. Cast iron is inadvisable, and any new tub will need reinforcement of the subfloor. I can live with that; it's the size. The tub can only be 4.5 feet long. Luckily, my daughter is only 5'2" and luckily Home Depot now sells quite a few tubs in the 4.5 ft. size. There is really no way of creating space to make it bigger. A deck like Polly has is really beautiful but that would also take up too much space as the toilet is almost slap up against the end of the current tub. You might want to reconsider a comfort height toilet; if you or your DH ever have a hip problem, the comfort heights are so much easier on the hips! I'm getting a comfort height elongated seat (also easier than a round for older folks) with the pressure assisted flush that uses way less water. Just food for thought. :-)

• Kippy
    8 years ago

Oly. Where did you find that tub with the grab bars? That looks perfect for us. Mom is a very active 92. And uses a bench seat to slide use our vintage claw foot.

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

Just a comment about standalone tubs, including claw foots. The common, built in tubs are usually set so that the floor of the tub is at almost the same level as the bathroom floor so when you get out of the tub, there is little change in level. Clawfoots, including mine, as well as many other standalone tubs cause you to step down when you get out of the tub since the bottoms of these tubs are higher than the bathroom floor. This makes a long stretch to reach the floor and can be very disconcerting to those using them. And for older people, it can cause them to lose their balance when getting in or out and there is nothing for them to grab onto to help them.

I love my claw foot and wouldn't replace it, but when I had my hip surgery, it was quite a challenge getting in and out of it.

Diane

• mrspete
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'd recommend putting the grab bars in now, not waiting until you "need" them.

Oh, I'm totally with you on that ... not so much because I think we'll need such "helps" within the near future, but because it's cheaper /more efficient just to do it right the first time.

I have seen several really nice implementations of tubs in decks that
    keep that vintage/cottage feeling. There's a user on here named Polly929
    who has a gorgeous "decked" tub in a vintage style bathroom. You can
    see if if you scroll down on this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3490847/clawfoot-or-drop-in-help-me-decide?n=11

Hmmm ... I'll investigate this further. I'm a little thrown off by the marble, which I don't like in any rendition, but materials are alterable.

Something to think about. The windows will have to be tempered glass I believe due to the proximity of the tub.

Okay, this I didn't know, and I really don't get the point. I see that doors ought to be tempered because they're opened/shut frequently ... but I don't see why a window above a tub needs to be special glass.

Regardless, here's what I found on the subject:

Tempered
    glass is glass that has an extra proceedure done to it to make it 4 to 5
    times stronger . . . The areas considered to be hazardous safety glazing areas requiring tempered glass are:

1. Glass in any door;

Glass in any kind of shower, bathtub area, hot tub, steam room, sauna
    or whirlpool area where the bottom edge of the glass is less than 60
    inches above a standing surface and drain outlet;

3. Glass in
    fixed or operable panels adjacent to a door where the nearest exposed
    edge of the glazing is within a 24” arc of either vertical edge of the
    door in a closed position and where the bottom edge of the glazing is
    less than 60” above a walking surface:

4. Glass in fixed or operable panels that meets all of the following conditions:
    * Bottom edge is less than 18” above floor
    * Top edge is greater than 36” above floor
    * Total area of glass is greater than 9 sq. ft. (1296 sq.in.)
    * One or more walking surfaces within 36” horizontally of the glazing;

5. Glass in walls used as a barrier for indoor or outdoor swimming pools or spas when both of the following exist:

The bottom edge of the glazing is less than 60” above a pool side of the glazing
    The glazing is within 5 feet of a swimming pool or spa deck area;

Glass in walls enclosing stairway landings or within 5 feet of the
    bottom and top of stairways where the bottom edge of the glass is less
    than 60” above a walking surface

You can select tempered glass on any of the windows you order from
    Discount Door and Window. Select "Glass Strength" option, and choose
    tempered glass.

Clawfoots, including mine, as well as many other standalone tubs cause
    you to step down when you get out of the tub since the bottoms of these
    tubs are higher than the bathroom floor. This makes a long stretch to
    reach the floor and can be very disconcerting to those using them.

Yes, I've experienced that step-down-to-the-floor, and disconcerting is an appropriate description -- and I have no mobility issues.

• lkplatow
    8 years ago

I think the idea behind tempered glass next to the tub is so that if you should slip and fall into the window, it either won't break or will shatter like safety glass into a million little pieces instead of slicing you in half.

• salex
    8 years ago

We have 3 small windows above our tub/shower area, and our local inspector required all 3 to have tempered glass.

While I LOVE the look of claw-foot tubs (and freestanding tubs in general), I suggest you reconsider the freestanding vs. tub-in-deck decision. I tore my ACL skiing a few years ago, and after surgery I stopped using free-standing tubs (temporarily) for all the reasons mentioned above. Even with a small bench, I always felt precarious sliding into the tub and climbing out of it and down onto the floor. When we re-did our master bedroom, I installed a tub-in-deck simply because I knew that if either of us ever had another injury (or even when we're older and less able), being able to sit, turn, and easily move in and out of the tub is hugely important. And even with a deck, grab bars can still be a good idea. To evaluate various options, I suggest trying to get into and out of any tub you're considering - but try it without using one of your arms, or using only one leg, and see how comfortable you are.

That said, your inspiration photo is gorgeous. I love the look of the dark wood and have seen many fake-wood tiles that could easily get you that look. Best of luck!