SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets

I broke up with my hairdresser today...

nhbaskets
8 years ago

And it was hard! I've been going to this woman for a number of years, I though about 8. She got me through going gray, I've seen her girls grow up. Her price just went up $10 this fall, so I thought it might be a good time for a change. I told her I was moving to a salon closer to our home (which is true) but didn't mention the price increase. The salon I'm switching to will be half the price. In the end, I'm glad I told her, as she thanked me for this rather than dropping off the face of the earth. It turns out I've been going to her for at least 12 years. After a big hug and a few tears on my part, I was able to walk out with a clear conscious.

Comments (45)

• User
    8 years ago

Wow, that's quite an increase.

nhbaskets thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Ode to my Hairdresser

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm so sorry that your hairdresser didn't work with you and you ended up with a 'do you don't like. My hairdresser and I have a different kind of relationship that has worked well for the last 2 years. I have just a few basic ground rules, such as it must be easy and fast to style, the color needs to be in the red family, and I like it somewhat edgy. She has been working within those parameters for the last 2 years, and every time I go in I get something completely different and yet also perfect for me. For me, I had to stop trying to tell the stylists to do stuff that my hair just won't do. I used to pick out a magazine photo and ask the stylist to do that, and even it she did it perfectly it wouldn't necessarily work for my face or coloring or it would be a total PITA for me to do at home. Since Jessica knows my hair- how it's curly in humidity but flat in dry weather, how thin it is, where the colics are- it's easy for her to make a style that looks good on ME, no matter what the weather or how long I have to style it. Even though it is short, I can wear it so many different ways. I like changing my hairstyle and color every time I go in, so it's always fun to see what Jessica comes up with. Heck, if I could completely change my hair every day, I would LOL! Honestly, releasing control to the hairdresser is what makes my hair look so good. Obviously, that takes a GREAT hairdresser and I am very lucky to have found her.
    ...See More

I broke my arm! Well, not really...

Q

Comments (23)
    LOLOLOL You are funny. Good job. I thought my brother was going to reach through the telephone and whack me up the side of the head when he was telling me how to connect the tv antenna when I got rid of my cable or when I tried to hook up my old Super Nintendo. Paul got so frustrated explaining what to do that he hung up on me. What did I know about video input and output, yadayadayada. Suddenly a light went on in this old brain of mine and I hooked it up correctly. I was proud of myself too! LOL Keep patting yourself on the back! Anne
    ...See More

I broke my camera :o(

Q

Comments (8)
    You might try calling the company! Few years ago, I bought my son a small pocket digital camera (Sony something or other). Couple of weeks after he got it, he had it in one of the pockets on his shorts. He took those off to go to bed and they ended up in the floor (it's a guy thing..lol),forgetting the camera was there. He got up the next morning and took a step and heard CRUNCH! He knew right off what it was. Sure enough, the LCD screen was cracked...camera still worked. Anyway, he called Sony and they told him where to send it. He did and they fixed it good as new and sent it back...NO CHARGE! He eventually got another camera..and I'm using the one he broke. It'd be worth a phone call to find out before you buy another one.
    ...See More

Pop-up downdraft broke my induction cooktop

Q

Comments (2)
    I never had a problem with that issue. The installer didn't make an effort to anchor the units down either, but they both rested tightly in place. I would have expected filters to crumple until they crushed out of the way but I never had that happen. I did break our glass top, but it was due to horribly rusted/frozen screws. The glass top was far harder to clean than cheap regular metal top units and eventually became stained. I would never have another glass top and consider it a completely defective concept.
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

I used to go to an exclusive salon and they raised their price twice. I used two people there, one for cut and the other for color.

It wasn't as if they did anything special. I now go to a local salon and save over $100 dollars per visit. One person does both cut and color.

It's good to leave on good terms. If in the event you are not happy, you can always go back.

nhbaskets thanked eld6161
  • nhbaskets
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ellen, that's what I figured. I was happy with the service she provided so wouldn't feel funny returning to her at a later date. Will be glad to save $$ now.

• dedtired
    8 years ago

Ph, wow, congrats to you for handling it so well. I have been tempted to leave my hairdresser of many years. Sometimes I just want a new perspective on my look. I just don't have the courage to leave her! I feel like we have been through thick and thin (life, not hair, although I suppose that, too) together. The only way I could do it would be to disappear, wich just feels all wrong. The salon is a good half hour from me, so I suppose I could use distance as a reason. If she raised her price, I'd be gone. Anything more than $128 and tip would put me over the edge. Hope you like your new person.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

$128.00 every time you go to the salon dedtired? I don't think that I could ever pay that much. I've been going to the same hairdresser for about 15yrs, and for a cut style and double processing (color & highlights), I pay $85.00. I have shoulder length thick layered hair. That also includes a deep conditioner. Where are you located, that it is so expensive?

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Wow.. 128 is very inexpensive for cut and highlights here. I am 2 hr west of Ded and in a much smaller area and I pay about 180-200 for cut and foil highlights (no special conditioning.. but sometimes she'll throw in a brow wax)

• LucyStar1
    8 years ago

I pay $120.00 every four weeks for cut, root touch up, and blow dry. Plus $20.00 for the tip.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

Holy cow! I would be interested in where these prices are paid. I went today for a cut, eyebrow wax, color with highlights, and style. Same place I've been going for years, one of the best hairdressers in our small town in Missouri. $55.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm located in the Seacoast area of NH. When I stopped coloring my hair 2+ years ago, I was paying $130 every 5 weeks for color, cut, and tip. For just a cut + tip, I was paying $72. The salon I'll be switching to is $30 for the cut. I'll be seeing the owner, so don't plan to tip. It certainly does add up.
  • Funkyart
    8 years ago

I am in central PA.. and my cost estimates don't include a tip. It does vary because they charge by the foil. I paid more when I lived in the Phila area.

• roxanna
    8 years ago

and then there's me...super-frugal (as far as my hair is concerned) and haven't been to a hairdresser for more than 30 years. Still have very little grey/white at 69, always hated the way my hair was cut, so no hairdresser or color, etc for me ever. Just can't be bothered! And I cut it myself, have for years and as long as I don't poke an eye out, will continue to do so, lol. Would much rather use the $$ for my gardens or for books. I'm grateful my hair is forgiving and easy enough to cut, and that I'm not particulary fussy. (Of course, I am rarely out in public, so I'm not frightening the horses or small children, and I DO always wear a pretty hat when I am allowed off the property.)

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

LIttlebug,

I live in Connecticut. My salon charges different prices for different stylists, depending on the level of experience and training.

approx Price (without tip of course):

Haircut; $50-100

Foil highlights: $150-200

Brow wax: $30

These prices are comparable to other area salons and to the salon I used in Northern NJ . It has been a while since I got my hair done in Manhattan, but at the time it was actually a little less than the burbs (more competition in NYC, but then again a much wider range of pricing too ... you would not believe what you can spend. ) Granted, the salons are very nice.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Wow, I will happily pay the $85.00, and my husband will know how lucky he is that I'm so frugal!

• Yayagal
    8 years ago

I live south of Boston and a cut, highlights cost me 200 + tip.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Yup, K Sissy, and even add a few thing on next time! LOL

• User
    8 years ago

I live in a small town in Georgia and the "published" price for highlight, lowlights, and a cut is $125. I consider that dirt cheap, since the price has not changed in 13 years. I go to the salon every four weeks like clockwork, and have this full service done every 8 weeks, alternating with just lowlights and a cut on the alternate visits for $90. Every few years I give the stylist a raise. After 13 years I am now paying $165 for the full service and $125 for the reduced service, excluding tip. The shampoo person's tip has gone from $7 to $15.

Every time I ask the stylist why he doesn't raise his prices, he tells me that people would quit him if he did. I always thought that was an irrational fear and now see that it isn't. Believe me, your hairdresser knows the reason you left. Maybe she feels that she would like either a new, younger clientele or customers who don't think a raise every twelve years is unfair.

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

After too many years with less than great hairdressers, I found my current fantastic one about 8 years ago. I've followed her through several salon changes and will follow her if she ever leaves her current one. She's that good. She's become a good friend, over the years, as well, and I really enjoy my time with her. She recently raised her charge $5 to $128. This is pretty much a blanket charge that includes whatever you need at the time: cut, color, high and/or low lights, deep conditioning. She will do just a styling for a special event, though, for less. She chooses to only work 3 days a week and so her clientele is limited. And very loyal. The salon is nice and every hairdresser rents her station and does everything for each client (shampoo, cut, color,etc.). Each appointment is approximately 90 minutes. I don't think my DH has any idea how much I spend on my salon appointments. He'd probably be surprised, but he does appreciate how she does my hair. I go every 6 weeks.

Back when I was single and living in Michigan, my salon there in Grosse Pointe had a doorman, and separate people to shampoo, color and style. I remember being offered (free) mimosas or champagne. Nowdays, I'm offered tea, fruited water and assorted cookies, which is just fine with me.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I much prefer going to a shop where one person does it all (wash/cut/color, etc.). I don't care for fancy salons where you are served drinks, snacks, etc. I'm one who wants "down to earth" and does not like to spend alot of time at the beauty shop. Granted, I live in a small town and I get a haircut every 4 weeks for around $25 (that's without tip). Two weeks ago hubby and I both got haircuts for $45 (minus tip). My gal lives nearby and is very flexible. I can text her and usually get my hair done the next day. Shop is clean, nicely decorated but not fancy. Every now and then I will decide to get highlights and I believe highlights and a cut are around $80. I do not have my hair colored otherwise. I don't need brow-waxing, but I think they are pretty cheap on that. I have gone to this girl for years.

• amylou321
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I left my last hairdresser several years ago. I didn't tell her I was leaving and I don't think she's given me another thought. She was an older lady I started using because of a recommendation from my sister. I always got highlights and a trim. Or that's what I asked for. Anytime I would call for an appointment she didn't know who I was even though I used her for years. And this wasn't a feeble forgetful old lady. Everytime I went she spent the entire time gossiping with either other customers or random family members who dropped in and let their kids run wild. I would never participate. I couldn't if I wanted to anyway since I had no clue who she was tearing down.Then she would proceed to take off 3 more inches than I asked for. I tried to change what I asked for over the years so I would get the length I wanted, but always walked outta there with hair cut above my shoulders,which looks ridiculous on me and makes my face look fat. 5 years ago a truck driver that comes through where I work handed me a flyer from his daughter who is a few years younger than me. She was starting a salon out of her home. I called her immediately and have been with her ever since. For very heavy highlights,a cut and style she charges $65. I always give her 80 because I am so happy with the results and the relaxing experience. I was paying 120 to the other lady.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I think "fancy" is relative and surely varies by area. My stylist does it all shampoo, cut, color, wax (brows only) -- she's even done my nails in a pinch (though they do have separate staff for nails, wax and massage). They serve coffee, wine and soft drnks. There are light snacks in the "quiet room" where you let your color process. This may seem fancy to some but it's fairly standard here for all but the mall kinds of places. Some may not provide wine or may not have pedi chairs but they all provide a majority of the services ime.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

A friend goes to a salon that opens at 6am -- mine does not but I think that's a GREAT service. My stylist laughed a little too long when I mentioned it lol.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Oh of course Funky one, I am in a somewhat rural area. I've been to the shops that serve wine, etc. in the big city near me (where I work), it's just not my cup of tea. My shop does not have a nail person. Funny you mentioned early hours, there is a shop I sometimes pass (if I take a shortcut) on days I work, and there are always several cars there before 7:30. Not sure what time they open. Many shops stay open later certain days, but in my area, I think ones that open early are few and far between. If I wanted/needed more indepth color processes, nails, etc. I would probably go to the city.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I've followed my hairdresser to seven different salons. Now she's about a 20-mile drive each way. My hair has gotten longer and I've stretched out cuts to every 8 weeks. All gray, no coloring. Haircut is still just $60, not including tip. It would be very hard to leave her, although I did try once when she first moved away, but decided her new location isn't a factor with the infrequency I go. I trust her. I'm very opinionated about hair styles and cuts, tell her what I want, and she delivers.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

wow! i used to go to the salon more regularly when i was younger and had shorter hair... i got regular foil highlights and trims- really don't remember what it cost, but wasn't ever over 75-100, i know!

but, i never highlighted when i was pregnant and after my last pregnancy never got highlights again. i only go to the salon every ~4-5 months and color myself, since i couldn't imagine going every 4 weeks or so! that is one of the reasons i am so hesitant about getting my haircut shorter-- needing to go for hair appts more often! i have toyed with the idea of having a salon color again, but really would have to come to terms with frequent visits first! :(

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

I know busybee3. It is a commitment, but I think that it is the one thing that I can do for myself. I colored my hair at home once, and it made me sick, and was a big pain, so it is a relief to have my stylist/friend do it. She only charges $25.00 extra for the color because of the cut, highlights, that I get. I could not make it longer than 4 - 5 wks because my hair is so thick that I would look like a lion, and could do nothing with it.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Wow Linelle, $60 for a haircut only seems very expensive to me. That's what I usually pay for cut, deep condition, and lots of highlights. Money, though is usually not the primary reason that we go to the hairdressers that we use. While it is important for me, the main reason that I use the person that I do is because I think that she does a good job with my hair. At this time in my life, I think that I deserve to do some nice things for myself.

• Boopadaboo
    8 years ago

I live in an area where I have not been able to get a haircut I like. I work in an expensive area (that I can not afford to live in :) ) I do get my haircut there.

Have you heard of this new stuff for color? OLAPLEX

I was getting 3-4 diff color highlights and a cut. I have really long hair (to my waist before it is cut usually) and I know that costs more so sometimes it is confusing. I went in for the 3-4 colors after a long time and the oloplex. I almost passed out when I got the bill. :) It was like $320. I only made a haircut and single process for the next time I went and told her that was nuts. Probably not nuts for the area but for me. :p she said it would only cost that much the first time but I have no idea how much it would cost ongoing as I only go every 10 weeks or so (which is a big increase considering I used to go every 4-6 months! I am trying to keep more of a shape and I have gray now right smack in the front. She sells a touch up color kit for home I might get. I cant remember what I pay now for just the single process and color but it is probably close to $200 still given the length of my hair which i get - I have to stand up even for part of the cut.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

yeah, k sissy, i spend too much time looking like a lion rather than a lioness!!! :) i think i'm getting closer to making a change....

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Good luck busybee3.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

Hi boopadaboo. It doesn't sound like getting your hair done is relaxing at all for you. That's a big thing for me. Maybe you should consider a new stylist, who could give you a new perspective about easier, better ways to manage your hair. A newer,lighter style might be just the thing for you...less maintenance, maybe less $. Good luck!

• 3katz4me
    8 years ago

I just changed too - after over 20 years with the same person. I moved though probably not much farther than the long drive I was already making but I used that as my excuse. She often cut my hair shorter than I wanted and talked too much about her causes and beliefs which were pretty much the opposite of mine. I got sick of hearing that stuff every 4-5 weeks. I've been to the new person twice and not loving the haircut but the color is nice. I'm bringing a picture next time to try to get her to cut it as it was with the last stylist just not quite as short. It's $150 for cut and one step color with a very modest tip. And she is one of the moderately priced people at this Aveda salon which is pretty much no frills in terms of fru-fru extra service.

• User
    8 years ago

My stylist for decades has been my sister. I can only imagine how difficult that breakup would be!

She is solidly booked with loyal customers so I've always insisted that our hair relationship be professional, meaning I would make appointments and pay like any customer.

We've discussed the awkward situation that arises if a longtime customer leaves and she said she always appreciates knowing the reason, especially if it's a case where the person is just wanting a new look from someone with a different eye. She understands that and has switched stylists herself over the years. It might be a difficult moment but then she's not left pondering if the customer wasn't pleased or if she unknowingly did something to offend.

• runninginplace
    8 years ago

I live in Miami for purposes of price comparison and get my hair cut and colored every 10-12 weeks. I love my hairdresser, have been going to her for well over 10 years, maybe close to 15. She and her husband bought property on the west coast of Florida and I joke that some day I may be doing full overnight trips just to get my hair done :). She charges me $90 and I round up to $100 for lowlights and the haircut. That's extremely reasonable for this area; I think most full service salons would run around $125-$200 for comparable service.

She used to own a salon, now she rents a stool and has told me she clears more this way with less stress. She also cuts my daughter's hair, which is a feat as daughter has long very curly hair that she's extremely particular about. A good hairdresser is worth her weight in gold, IMO.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

I went back to a stylist that I used several years ago. She knows I left because I follow my colourist anywhere and everywhere and she left to go to another salon. I just went to a stylist at the new salon but eventually couldn't stand how she was cutting my hair, she really couldn't be bother to get to know the hair. I still go to the same colourist at that salon but didn't give any reason to the stylist for leaving. She doesn't do a job I like, I don't owe her a reason for not going to her anymore. So yes, i go to one salon for my colour and another for my cut. Sacrifices. And for that I pay at the high end of the prices quoted on this thread.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I broke up with my hairdresser around a month ago. She totally mutilated my hair so bad I didn't want to leave the house. The thing is she can cut hair when she applies herself...but one never knows...she can be lazy. Plus, the salon changed their prices. If you want your hair styled after the cut its gone up $25. Overall the prices are not bad it's just that they aren't good enough for a price increase.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

At this time in my life bifenton, I fully understand doing what is necessary to make oneself feel better. If that means going to two different salons to get the look you want.....go for it.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

Wow. I have really been saving a lot for a long time! It shows of course too.

I had a favorite stylist and even worked for him for a bit way back when. But once I got married my husband had a fit every time went to him. Finally it was too much and I stopped going. I never found another that really did a good job. I left with crooked bangs, lopsided backs inches too short or just plain a massive pain in my neck from them . I have no desire to color my hair (it has always been kind of a different ginger brown blonde color and I get asked what the colors are called) and think gray is really pretty on others and plan on seeing how mine goes.

I learned a lot about cutting back in the day and realized since I was coming home and fixing the paid for cuts I finally just did it and cut my own. I would love to have mine done, but no idea by who and seems my sampling salons has only gotten me the worst....maybe that should be my 2016 resolution

• dedtired
    8 years ago

I am just outside of Philadelphia. That's the price for cut and single process color. I if I get cut, single process, highlights and lowlights, the cost is about $225, plus tips. Pretty ridiculous, I think. It sometimes amuses me that I will spend whatever it takes on my hair, but I won't pay for a Smartphone.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

a good hairdresser is worth her wt in gold, and is so hard to find... for my crazy hair at least!

• User
    8 years ago

Amen, busybee. A good hairdresser is a godsend, and I feel fortunate to have found one just right across the street from my office. She stays very busy, but I can text her and she'll work me in quickly, and she's just a very sweet person. I consider her haircut at $50 to be a bargain, and love the fact that she takes very little off my hair (as I request) but still manages to greatly refresh my look. I swear she's a magician.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I live in South Central PA and pay $75 for a cut, single process color, and style. That is without a tip and I go every four weeks. I am going to try every five weeks but I have a feeling I won't be able to stick with that because my hair grows very quickly.

• User
    8 years ago

My hair started to go gray in my twenties. Husband started to lose his hair in his twenties. Someone in the family needed to have Good Hair, and I decided it may as well be me. Also, I reasoned, if people looked at the pair of us and wondered why one married the other, I wanted them to wonder why I married himand not the other way around!

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

You have your priorities in order dedtired!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

This may be hard to believe but I have gone to the same hairdresser for over 30 years. We have lost track but I think I started going to her in the early 80's when she was with one of the better salons in our mid-sized city. I still love the way she does my hair. I have only gone to someone else during one period when her first husband was very ill and eventually passed away due to cancer. At that time, she owned her own salon and I was spending a lot of time in DC so I went to an Aveda salon there for a couple of haircuts. She eventually closed her salon and is in another salon that is still a great location for me. I pay $115 for a color and cut not including tip. I'll sacrifice something else if I need to do so for my hair care. Always on time and always listens to me when I am ready for a change. My girl who does my pedis? I would change in a minute if I knew I could find someone good.