SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eosinophil

response to accepting offer?

eosinophil
8 years ago

We are negotiating to buy a house in Southern California. We negotiated back and forth and we accepted sellers counter. We signed it 12/24 afternoon (in the midst of our family holiday gathering), but we haven't had the sellers sign the acknowledgment. I don't get it. All that holds up the offer is their signing to acknowledge we've accepted their offer; there are no further considerations in our counter. It's over 72 hours and we've heard nothing - to my read our counter officially expired more than 48 hours ago. Prior to agreeing to this offer we'd threatened (genuinely -we are ready to move on if this exact deal doesn't stick) to cancel the deal and thus we are thinking they are shopping other possible (and threatened) offers.

FYI - the house has been on the market for about a year with around 15% total price drop and is quite unusual (with features that I suspect renders it less sale-able).

To my read, the deal was officially off the table after around six hours but my realtor says it is standard for the response to take 48 regardless. is that true? we accepted their counter exactly - despite the holiday, why should that take more than a small amount of time other than them delaying / shopping other offers?

i have other options rather than this house- any insights?

Comments (14)