SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

What is this?? (Very deformed leaves)

SoFL Rose z10
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been growing roses for about 5 years and this is the first time I have seen this. It seems to affect new growth. The leaves come out very thin like a needle and never fully develope. Its affected about 10-15 of my rose bushes. Some have certain branches growing this way while other new growth is normal. Oddly enough some of my roses have to been affected at all while others are completely deformed. It has me very nervous. Is it chili thrips or other insect damage? Or is it some sort of disease? I have 2 well rooted Bolero plants and one is completely affected while the other is not at all. Here are some pics:

olero cutting completely affected (every leaf)
My other Bolero growing normally. These two were about 20 feet from one another

Here is Charles Aznavour a newish band almost 100% infected. You can see the other roses near it have normal growth.

Poor Medallion is completely infected
Here is an even odder case of affected leaves that somehow developed more and formed some odd largely elongated leaf.

This is on Queen Elizabeth. At first I thought ot was Chili Thrip damage, but they dont have the classic puckered form that usually acompanies chili thrip damage. Its extremely odd. Should i prune out infected growth and hope for the best or just leave it and wait to see if new growth comes in normally?

This is Scepter D'isle. See the needle like new growth on the step towards the bottom left hand side. Above that is the oddly elongated leaf form as well.

I should add that cold is a non issue here as we've had days in the 80s and nights in the 70s for some time now.

Comments (8)