SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Help choose vanity, tile etc for bathroom

Tmnca
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are renovating our master bathroom which currently looks like this (on the immediate right behind door is a tub/shower combo then a wall and the toilet beyond that. Pictured are the original 1980 vanity with cultured marble top (painted to make livable) ugly cheap peel and stick vinyl tile, and a lovely hollywood light.

Note there is no window or natural light in this bathroom.

Our plan is to:

- replace floor with tile

- replace toilet

-replace tub/shower with a walk-in shower (60" wide x 32" deep)

- replace vanity/counter/double sinks

- replace lighting

- replace door with pocket door since it currently opens against the tub and we leave it open a lot, but have to close it to access the controls.

Having only done DIY-level stuff before I have no idea where to start! So I posted on the bathroom forum and got some excellent advice, so now I have some idea where i am starting. So here are some choices and an inspiration pic...

This is enduring's shower - I like the french glass doors and the general style. They used a Kohler cast iron pan, which I have been convinced is a better choice than a tile floor.

So let's assume we are going with a white pan similar to that (drain and showerhead at the right), now I have to pick a floor/shower wall tile and a vanity, top etc.

I saw this tile on YHL and I really like it. If we used this one the floor and the shower walls, would it be too much? Or do you think it would give a soothing spa look?

manufacturer link (their photo looks wring - brown?) https://www.tileshop.com/product/blas+anthracite+porcelain+floor+tile+-+12+x+24+in.do?from=Search&cx=0#tile-estimator

For the vanity I am torn - I posted on the bathroom forum about using Ikea kitchen cabinets since we are doing our kitchen as well, with Ikea. It would be convenient to order everything from them and match the kitchen. But with a 104" run, it will get expensive because the cabinets alone plus the countertop (we plan granite for kitchen) fabrication and sinks, installation etc. Versus buying a ready made vanity from Overstock or Costco. The only problem there is they are not long enough the longest I could find that I liked was 80", this one

So there would be 1' space on either end which I think would look bad especially as you come in the door. If we squeezed it up against the wall on the door entry side, we'd have 2' gap on the other end, I think it would look sloppy and we'd have to replace the existing mirror, too. BUT it would be about $2000 cheaper than cabinets, countertop and sink with fabrication/installation altogether.

There is also a matching 2' wide linen cabinet (an additional $1000 seems steep for this) but I don't know if it would fit in the 2' beside the vanity with whatever overhang of the counter, or if all the little feet together would look weird.

has anyone built a toekick for a "furniture style" vanity to make it look built in and avoid all the dust bunnies? Maybe if a toekick covered the feet, the vanity + cabinet would look more unified... if they fit.

What do you think of the tile for both floor and shower walls, and what about vanity choices?

Comments (22)