SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamerkat10

(Very inexpert) orchid help- losing a leaf and growing a flower spike?

gamerkat10
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So, I'll admit I don't know very much about orchids, but I received one as a gift from a friend a few years back, and I've been giving it 3 ice cubes a week for that whole time, and it's done fine. It has occasionally lost or grown more leaves, been re-potted once, and it blooms a few times a year. But right now it sort of has me worried, because it's doing a few things it's never done before and I don't know if they're normal.

So, the first thing I noticed, is that it's currently losing a leaf. It has four counting the dying one, and said dying one doesn't appear to have rot or anything, it has just been slowly shriveling over the past 3 months or so and is now rather limp, although still green (and a bit brown near the tip). But the plant isn't making any new leaves- instead, it recently bloomed, and seems to be about to do so again. For a fuller history; I didn't cut off the spike when it bloomed two times ago much earlier in the year, and then over the summer it grew a smaller spike off of the other one, and bloomed again. After that, I cut them off (although not all the way down; perhaps I should have?). And now, it's growing a third spike, from just below where I cut it last time, despite the leaf!!

If it helps, the repotting was quite recent (October), although it was before I was sure the leaf was going. It's an orchid that can have air roots, and it has a lot! It also had a lot of white roots that had woven in circles around the pot under the mix, and very few that were rotted at all, so I was hopeful. I also did a lot of research beforehand, so I think I did a decent job- I tried my best not to break any roots, and put cinnamon on them if I did, I kept the pot snug, I used a bark mix without any real soil that looked like the stuff the orchid came in originally, cleaned my hands and any tools I used, all of that. I also kept the blinds near it more closed than usual for the week afterwards, and kept the fan running in the room it's in.

|s all of this this normal, and this a silly question? I don't know a whole lot about what an orchid should do, but I've had this one for a few years and I'm a bit attached to it. I just can't shake the feeling that the thing is trying to bloom a lot rather than stay alive, haha, and I'd like to hear that it's not (or... if it is!)

Should I cut off the new spike and stop it from blooming so it can focus on the leaf and the new pot? Or is this normal, and I should trust the plant? Heck, is it even a good thing??? I'd appreciate any and all advice here!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!