SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Bulbo culture, or help save the last spike

whitecat8
15 years ago

I have 3 Bulbos, all purchased from different growers w/in the last few months. All 3 vendors said they need intermediate conditions. NOW I read that Jay says all 3 need hot conditions. Aaauugghh!

Bulbo ambrosia - supposed to smell like honey

Bulbo barbigerum - rumored to have been thought the missing link between plant and animal because of the action of the flowers http://www.orchidspecies.com/bulbophylumbarbigerum.htm

Bulbo (Hyalosema) grandiflorum - way cool flower http://www.orchidspecies.com/bulbograndiflorum.htm

The ambrosia's mounted on cork & a bit of sphag. Recently, it got 4 spikes and has blasted all but 1.

Conditions: Solid intermediate temps and light. The plant's been in a large, clear glass vase w/ a clear plastic top on it. Stones & water in the bottom. Sprayed enough so it keeps moist.

The vase is 1 row back from the big E/SE window and under T8s that are on for 14 hours/day. After the plant spiked, it started putting out 2 new pbs.

Jay's says it's hot- to cool-growing, but his icons indicate hot-growing, for sure. Also, his photo shows plant on cork (I think) w/ no sphag.

I'd hate to lose that last spike.

As for the barbigerum, it's in small bark in a plastic pot. Recently, I put plant and pot down in a larger, white plastic pot w/ stones & water in the bottom to keep it wetter longer.

The grandiflorum is a much larger plant in CHC and a plastic pot. It blasted its 1 spike awhile back and has put out 2 new pbs since. In my care, most of the leaf tips turned brown. Moi, the underwaterer, has been watering only when it was almost dry.

In the last couple of weeks, the plant and pot have also gone down in a big, clear white pot w/ stones & water, plus I covered the top.

Any way for these lovelies to be happy in my house? Winter night temps are low 60s; highs are low to mid-70s. The daytime highs could be in the mid-70s almost all the time, but that's about it.

Thanks for any info.

Waaaa Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbo ambrosia, Jay's

Comments (7)