SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scone911

Bulkhead entrance from garage to partial basement

scone911
8 years ago

Hi there! :) I'm planning to build a variation on this plan: Cape Cod style house and I'd really, really like to avoid a basement. I hate basements, for myriad reasons, and I really don't need a huge storage space. All of our cwaptastic stuff will fit into the garage. In addition, the only area of the lot where we can put a house apparently has a ginormous "whaleback" ledge of granite, so any basement would have to be blasted-- think $$$. I'd be spending big bucks for something I don't want in the first place. BTW I don't need or want any extra living space, this is a retirement home for my DH and myself only.

However. I need some place to put the furnace, water heater, well tank, possibly a water softener, radon mitigation, etc. So I'm thinking of having a bulkhead entry, with a half flight of stairs, into a partial basement under the area that's labeled "covered porch" on the plan. Of course, we would be enclosing that porch with glass sliders. This would give a mechanical room down there about 12' x 14', which I figure is more than adequate. And the HVAC techs, plumbers, etc. should like it because they can back their truck into the garage, and walk right down to the equipment-- easy access.

Now I checked with the local code guy about this a couple of years ago, and he was o.k. with it. And I had a bulkhead entry from the garage to the basement in my last house, which was surprisingly convenient. There was a door at the bottom of the stair, and I would make that a fire door on general principles. The furnace and water heater will be propane, so I imagine it will need to be vented up through the enclosed porch wall, out through the roof.

The obvious concerns are venting, carbon monoxide, open flames, gasoline spills. But I think they can all be addressed. If I'm wrong, please let me know! TIA for your time. ;)

Comments (3)