SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dknipe

Partial walkout basement presenting landscape challenge (pics)

Sidney4
11 years ago

This is my first post on this forum....many thanks in advance for any advice or ideas you can share with me. We built a new home on a wooded lot a couple of years ago. Its situated on a slope and the lower level is a partial walk out. We have a screened in porch on the main level that creates an overhang off the back of the house about 14 feet deep and I have no idea what to do with the area underneath it. We've had two landscape design plans drawn up but in each case the plans only landscape to the outside perimeter of the porch leaving the area underneath completely bare. Both designers suggested just filling in the area with mulch which we did but IMO it is an eyesore. Whats more one of our guest bedrooms overlooks the area under the porch so I would like to create a nice view from the guest bedroom window.

We brought in a couple of mossy rocks which I think may be something to build on but I worry that filling the whole space with out cropped rocks without mixing it with something else will just make the space look like we use the area to toss debris.

Do any of you have ideas of ways I could turn an eyesore into an asset. I am hoping some designer with an artistic eye might even have suggestions for ways to make the space a focal point.

The back yard faces east and I am including a few pictures if that is helpful.

This was taken prior to any real landscaping......

{{gwi:28998}}

This was taken after the addition of plant materials........

{{gwi:29000}}

Comments (36)