SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noscco427

Designing a new kitchen in a small space

Noah Covert
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm looking at remodelling my kitchen because there are some layout issues and the 1950s style cabinets are an eyesore. I've come up with a design that I like, but I'm not a professional designer, so I am open to advice on what to change.

Here's what the kitchen looks like now. The refrigerator is in a terrible spot, and everyone loves to stare at a wall while eating at the bar. See the proposed design for dimensions of the walls.

Here's the new design that I came up with. I removed the bar, replacing it with a pantry and moving the fridge to that wall as well. The bottom left corner is confusing as is, so let me explain. Ignore the 3" filler on the left wall. That cabinet running there will be a blind 36" cabinet, with a 15" door and 3" of filler space to allow the doors to open properly. Ignore the 3" filler on the left wall as that will be part of the blind cabinet. Another concern of mine is the space by the doorways in the top right corner - does there appear to be enough clearance there? Would I be safe adding an extra pantry cabinet of the same size next to the other two? Any suggestions on what I should change would be appreciated.

The wall dimensions were measured from the inside. The door openings were measured from the corner of the wall to the end of the doorway, including the trimpieces.

(If you are about to suggest structural changes like moving walls or the window, forget it; all the walls are load-bearing and the left wall is the only exterior-facing one.)

Comments (48)