SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Low light blooming houseplant that are not poisonous to cats

paulsiu
8 years ago

I have asked this before, but I thought I asked again now that I have more updated information. I am trying to get plants for my mom's open air porch in Walnut Creek, CA (zone 10a). The porch on the outside, is covered by a roof and gets only about 2 hours of direct sunlight. She also own a cat. She has some rather difficult set of requirements.

1. Plant should not be poisonous to cats or at least not attractive to cats. Some plants are toxic but appears to be uninterested to cats.

2. Plant should survive in dry Northern California weather. Note that if we can increase moisture by sitting it on a dish of water and pebble, that would be acceptible.

3. Plants should bloom.

The 3 requirements are difficult, especially flowering requirements. Here's a number of plants tried:

Brazilian plume flower (probably justicia carnea) - appears to grow and flower weakly. Due to the low light, the leaves are unusually big and needs to be staked. I gave her the plant because I thought it was shade tolerant but didn't realized how much shade it was.

Arrow Leave Sage - not even a shade plant! Given by mistake when it was mistakenly listed as a shade plant in a catalog. Appears to have survived like the plume flower and flower weakly and need staking.

Aloe Vera - given by my sister. Not my mom's favorite because she apparently do not like succulent, even though it would make more sense to grow some in her area. Toxic to cats, but he seems to totally ignore it.

Unknown tiny catcus - given by a neighbor. May be toxic to cat but based on experience, cats usually do not go near catcus.

some sort of fern - given by my sister. It worked for a while but is often attacked by the cat. It died one day. My mom thinks she overwatered it.

Africian Violet - I gave her this plant because it's not toxic to cats and I thought it was a low light plant, but I am thinking that there isn't enough light for the plant. It died in less than a week.

What do you suggest? Something like Peace Lily would work, but I never had one and do not know if cats are interested in nibbling on them. I have some possibilities:

1. Anthurium - I have one growing without too much issue in a northern facing window. The plant is toxic to cats, but I don't recall cats ever being interested in the waxy leaves. I notice one that grow on volcanic rocks, which would work for her.

2. Lipstick plant (Aeschynanthus radicans) - not familiar with the plants except that I see them in Florida. I am thinking that it needs moisture. Not toxic to cats. Anyone grown them in the bay area?

3. Goldfish plant (Nematanthus) - not familar. How much light do they need? Appears to be non-toxic to cats.

4. Some kind of Orchid - can they be low light. I recall some species are not toxic to cats.

Paul

Comments (13)