SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

First KD layout! Would love input!

pippiep
8 years ago

I got a first design from a KD for my kitchen. Here are the background threads, which have a layout created by Buehl. I wasn't sure about the process, so I didn't show that specific layout to the KD. I wanted to see what he came up with first.

Thread 1: Layout help: peninsula to island; yes or no?

Thread 2: Can I get more layout help?

Here is the design:

I don't remember exact dimensions, but the island was around 110-120x36, with 12" cabinets on the non-cooking side. The wall cabinets are 36" tall and will have molding to reach the ceiling. The other wall has 18" deep cabinets for the tall sides, and 21" deep base cabinet/drawers, and 12" uppers. His plan included a microwave drawer on the island; I'll have to think about that, because I generally dislike MW drawers (pulling hot stuff up to take out seems more tricky than just pulling forward, especially for my kids. But we don't use the microwave all that much.)

The problematic wall:

I currently have a 5'7 wall right next to the fridge. We weren't sure if we could budget to have it trimmed down, or even if my husband wanted it gone (he does now). The KD thinks it will be a drop in the bucket to trim it back so a FD can open properly. His estimate did not include plumbing, so we'd have to see how much it will cost to have the baseboard heat removed. Demo'ing the wall was not going to be much at all. YAY!

Corner range:

I was surprised to see the corner range! But there was one in the showroom, and it actually looked good to us. We like to keep our cooking utensils and whisks in two big canisters on either side of the stove, but they are always in the way on a straight run. This would keep them out of the way. I also like the longer, uninterrupted run of counter and wall cabinets leading to the table.

Thoughts?

I found some threads on here that mention it's not a good idea for two-cook kitchens. You can see in one of my older threads that my current configuration has the range right up in the elbow of the peninsula, which means two of us can't stand side-by-side, and I wanted to change that. Is a corner range just leading us down a similar path?

I also saw a disadvantage being that you are forced to pull things out straight over the door... but I always, always do that anyway. I lift weights, so I'm not concerned that I'll ever have a problem lifting out a heavy turkey. I can't think of a time that I've ever stepped to the side to get anything out of the oven. But I'll pay more attention now, because maybe I do and I just don't know it?

Prep space:

My husband and I are both island-preppers, period. We just don't use the perimeter counters for primary prep, especially for anything going onto the stove. I'm not worried about the space to the left and right of the stove, as that will be used primarily for when we need to take hot things out of the oven or move something off the stove.

Baking:

We both do a TON of baking, so I like that long counter run plus the island so that we can both work and really spread out, and have many sheet pans all around.

Countertops:

UGH!!! No, seriously, will soapstone truly cost us 11K??? I knew it was around 95/sq ft installed, but I guess I did the math wrong because I was coming out to about 7K. In this design, we have around 122 ft of counter needed. Even my backup granite (just from looking online, not yet seen in person), Costa Smeralda, would end up being a similar price to soapstone. I'm afraid my husband will pull the plug and say laminate! Do I have to forgot a wavy, swirly stone and get something speckled?? Much disappointment.

Input??

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Comments (29)