SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ferroplasm

shrub arrangement and perennial herbs recommendations

I removed some red tip photinias from a fence line and I'd like to replant with a more diverse border. My goals are: screening from neighbors, incorporating some edibles, and providing refuge for beneficial insects, pollinators, and birds.

I have a variety of plants currently growing in pots that I'd like to use. Some are edible. Some are not. The first set, all blueberries, I absolutely want to incorporate. It's not critically important that I follow spacing for optimum production. I'm thinking form over function here.

The blueberries are:

(3) O'Neal Southern Highbush

(2) Misty Southern Highbush

(1) Sunshine Blue Southern Highbush

Other edibles:

(1) brown turkey fig (medium/high priority)

(1) muscadine seedling (low priority)

Here are the ornamentals I have in pots:

(1) 'State fair' pomegranate

(1) Needlepoint holly (medium/high priority)

(1) Chindo viburnum (medium/high priority)

(1) Red formosa azalea

(1) Formosa azalea

(1) Rosea azalea (high priority)

(1) Wolfpack red azalea

(2) Conversation piece azalea (high priority)

Other potential ornamentals I'd like to plant but don't currently have:

(1 to 3) Southern magnolia var. 'Little Gem' or 'Teddy Bear' or similar (must have)

Camellia

Nandina

Coneflower

Peony

Rhododendron

What I could really use is some advice for how to arrange the plants along this fence. If it were up to me, I'd probably end up planting everything in a straight line. I know this isn't the best way of doing things, but I'm not sure how to best select the order of planting. Are there general rules for grouping or arranging?

How about compatible herbaceous flowers? The soil is on the acidic side and fairly well drained. If possible, I'd like to tuck some coneflower in between the shrubs. What else might work? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Comments (4)