SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atlgreengirl

Adult child out of hand

atlgreengirl
8 years ago

Today my son is 22 years old.

For the past 3 years he has not lived in my home. He stays with relatives.

There are countless variables that have led to this, but yesterday he went absolutely raving mad at me. I've never been spoken to so horribly in my life. I've never heard dialogue, even from a film or musician, so spiteful and hateful as what he said to me.

It seems like "no big deal", but this kid is 3 times my size. During this raging fit he demolished a large portion of my home and my possessions, to include wrapped holiday gifts for friends and family. Beloved hanging artwork was smashed. My cell phone smashed. The GPS that I loaned him was returned in a thousand pieces. He threatened to "break my jaw" but fortunately did not lay a finger on me or my small elderly dog. (He did mention the dog was s**t and should be put to sleep)

This got so out of hand, within five minutes, a neighbor called the police. By the time an officer arrived my son was already gone. He has a car, he has money, he has nice clothing, the latest technical gadgets, none of which were harmed in the slightest bit during his destructive outburst, and it is so hard for me to simply let go and let him sort this out.

I want so badly to tell him Happy Birthday today.

I don't know if he is safe; he darted out of here and has not answered his phone from me or his friends since then. I assume if he were injured someone would answer his phone? I assume if he were arrested he would have contacted either myself or the family members that he lives with?

The most terrifying aspect to this is that he has demonstrated suicidal behavior in the past, as recently as 2 weeks ago. I had him committed involuntarily, from another state, and they could not keep him for more than 72 hours. He left the hospital bitter, angry, and with a handful of pills.

Clearly he is no longer welcome in my home.

Apparently he is on a substance of some type: either from a "dope house", a college classmate, or his own doctors, this is not the person I know and love and raised to be a capable, compassionate young man.

The family members that he lives with do not care for me.

They speak very negatively about me to him, he has told me this himself. Some of what they say is true, a very large portion is an absolute lie.

I feel as if I've lost a child.

I feel as if I am in a grieving process.

I love this kid so much, my only child, my darling boy, but right now I am actually fearful of him and have decided to take a break, at least for a year, and hopefully land on our feet and come full circle.

For the obvious questions that may ensue:

YES: he is in therapy

NO: he is likely not honest with his therapist

YES: he has done this before, always on a whim, no warning signs, no "red flags"

NO: he was not a difficult child by any means. When he was younger I used to say "I can't have another child; one does not strike lightening twice! And my son is perfect!"

This behavior surfaced when he was a senior in high school. He detested his school and having to go every day. He was not excited about graduation, prom, nothing, and this is an athletic honor student who has girls crushing on him night and day. He freaked out on me and I had him enrolled in a private school with online courses to finish his senior year and arranged for him to live with the relatives where he still resides.

Since that time I have seen him sporadically and it is typically a short but sweet and lovely visit.

Until yesterday.

Out of the blue I am every name in the book, a loser, a failure, those are the only G rated words he used to describe me, and the truly scary part is that he did not yell, he did not scream, he systematically told me what a piece of garbage I was while ruining anything he could reach.

All of my floors were covered in glass.

I cannot live this way and neither can he. I wish I could speak with the people he lives with but they consider me the root of anything and everything that isn't right with him. It's strange because until his senior year "freak out", these same people praised me on being such a successful single parent.

I am confused, hurt, and cannot stop crying.

Thanks for reading.

Comments (9)

Sponsored