SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

More layout help?

Tmnca
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We're progressing toward planning out kitchen reno, early next year. It will be an Ikea kitchen on a budget, this is a condo and we don't want to over-improve as we want to enjoy living here another 5 or maybe more years, but don't intend to retire here.

I'm using Ikea kitchen planner and on another thread which I can't find now I got lots of great suggestions. Our current kitchen is essentially like the link below - it's 1980's builder crap, but I replicated it as closely as possible in the planner for reference. We hope to remove the pass-through wall altogether to create a peninsula, but the contractor says if there are load-bearing posts we may need to leave a post in the corner. If we do that, we'd probably leave or re-build a partial wall instead of having back faces on the peninsula cabinets in order to create a more contiguous look than just having a post there.

Here's our current layout - you can see how bad it is in several ways:

looking in from the LR/DR pass through window wall (invisible wall)

One of the challenges in this small space is the fact that the short wall where the range currently is cannot be removed or changed because our front entry is on the other side, and I tried to indicate this as best I can but our front door is inset into the home in an alcove so the front door opens up against that wall and comes to 2" from the kitchen doorway.

Another is that we do not want to change the flooring - it is throughout our whole home, and the flooring is discontinued and I have 1.5 boxes left to patch areas but can't change the footprint too much. We also don't want to push into the dining and living room area (not shown - the first floor is 40' long open floor plan) and we do want to maintain a partial barrier between the kitchen and the dining area as a peninsula/serving bar. Initially I wanted to move a cooktop to the peninsula but DH was very concerned about our cats being naughty and jumping up there or when guests are getting food from the peninsula cracking the cooktop or burning themselves... and there is no space for stools/overhang etc.

So here is my latest plan, I love the built-in feel of the fridge flanked by pantries and the range feeling close to the peninsula and sink but against the wall for safety. It will add a lot of expense to move the sink, but with it under the window I am forced to have 3 corner cabinets in the kitchen unless I move either cooktop or sink to the peninsula. Moving the sink to the peninsula would be a lot more expensive of course - probably prohibitively. I don't love the placement of the sink, but we don't spend much time standing at the sink really - we use the DW for everything.

I'm a bit worried about the window wall just being blank, and looking weird. It' just a view onto our front patio and carport, not a great view to highlight.

What do you think - is this a good compromise between budget, functionality, and aesthetics? Or can we do better still?

link to planner:http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm?LoadDesign=2c0e8abee9c54b2b934bb4878bed3461&UIContext=SE_Menu&IsSharedDesign=1

Comments (16)