SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Slightly OT, Are some dinners/occasions more "china-worthy"?

l pinkmountain
8 years ago

I've inherited my mom's china. She hardly ever used it, mostly for Christmas and Thanksgiving, and the teacups and dessert plates for afternoon tea parties and evening coffee gatherings. The pattern is "Westwind" by Lenox. Here's a link where you can see it. http://bigyellowcottage.blogspot.com/2012/10/autumn-thrifting-finds-etc.html. I have loved it all my life and it is in very good condition. Mom used it so rarely, particularly in later years. She has a lot of other more casual dish sets that we usually use. So anyway, I'm having a Hanukkah dinner party Friday. It's just for my two co-workers and landlady. I'm just making latkes, applesauce and a marinated beet salad which I would have to serve in mom's clear crystal salad bowls. Seems a tad too fancy for this simple meal. Maybe I'll use her plain cream everyday plates for the dinner and serve the cheesecake dessert on the china dessert plates. I want to use the china but I also want to keep it for nice and special. It's just that those occasions are so rare. The china is irreplacable more or less, since it is not made anymore. I'm sure I could get some kind of replacements if I had to though.

Anyway, do you think some meals/foods are more china-worthy than others? This isn't exactly a barbecue, but it's a plain simple menu of kinda "homey" foods. How do you usually play it with using your china? Back at my own home I had grandmas old plain cream china with the gold rim, it worked for just about any occasion. It goes with mom's china and she used them together before I got it. But grandmas china is in deep storage so won't be coming out any time soon.

Comments (48)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!