Slightly OT, Are some dinners/occasions more "china-worthy"?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (48)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Slightly OT - Do I save the brick from old chimney for projects?
Comments (34)Thanks again, everyone -- especially for your ideas on how to clean the bricks! Here's what was left of the house during the last stages of demolition this weekend: ... and then the chimney came down! Now I have a nice pile of bricks to show for it... you should have seen me digging through the debris to salvage the good ones... everyone else thought I was nuts, so they only "helped" while I was looking! I had to leave with the kiddos for a few hours, and when I came back, a bunch had been thrown in the junk pile. Good thing the dumpster was full, so I could still pick them out of the junk heap before they get put into a new dumpster! There's still a lot of sections of brick left that didn't break apart -- too bad they're too heavy for me to manage (10 or 12 or more bricks still mortared together). Anyway, just wanted to keep you posted. On a side note, I noticed this flowering shrub at the demolition site (our new property) -- can you tell me what it is? So pretty! I get so excited when I see hope of new life at our to-be home! bloomin......See MoreSlightly OT...Favorite Candles?
Comments (36)Sorry to burst the bubble of the natural beeswax candle fans: Take it from a beekeeper, virtually all the beeswax on the market today is contaminated with agricultural pesticide residues. And that's just the US beeswax. Stuff imported from Asia is really problematic. It comes either from pesticides put in the hive by beekeepers to try to suppress varroa mites and diseases or from agricultural pesticides that the bees themselves bring in when they bring in pollen and dust from their foraging. Beeswax straight from a hive has lots of stuff in it. Most of the non-wax solids, coccoons, dead bee parts, etc. is removed when it is rendered. (What's left after the cleaned beeswax is separated out is called "slumgum" - a great Scrabble word!) But many of these pesticide chemicals are lipophyllic, meaning that they enter - and stay - in the beeswax, permanently. They are not removed by the melting, straining and bleaching that takes the hive product and makes it into beeswax cakes. It's a big issue these days in the beekeeping world, because beekeepers recycle cleaned wax as base layers for new honey comb, year after year. It is now being learned that over time the chemicals are building up in the wax, and are believed to be causing some of the problems affecting bees right now. Something to think about it, as well, if you are using beeswax and mineral oil on your soapstone or wood counters. Liriodendron...See Moreslightly OT: how do you store your jewelry?
Comments (18)Everyone, thanks for these useful ideas and insights. You guys are really creative. Pretty much every bit of my jewelry is costume; I only have one nice ring and it's already in the safety deposit box across town. So no theft worries. I'd be sad to lose my costume stuff, but none of it is irreplaceable. Les, your suggestions are just so spot-on re my style: would you please come out to visit and just redo my entire house while you're here? (Bring me some Frango Mints, too?) I hadn't even known those plain, mirrored jewelry cabinets existed. What a great idea. Anyone seen one with Art Nouveau or Lloyd Wright -style detailing? (: (well, a girl can dream...) Igloo, if I see any antique silverware boxes out here in the sticks, I'll emulate you. Love that idea too. You guys are great!...See MoreSlightly OT: in limbo, discouraged...what would you do?
Comments (14)Dear all--thank you so much for these responses. I knew I could count on GWers for wisdom. This situation is ripe for overthinking, something I am much prone to anyway...it is really fascinating to me how these issues of home, personified in the kitchen, are really so deep and wide. I want to respond to each individually but everything seems to be intersecting--so this is for all of you--an I'd love to keep the conversation going-- first things first--jaeedwards, you are absolutely right, and one thing that slows me down is this guilt I feel that I sometimes lose sight of what really matters. It is hard to tease apart materialism from practicality from real need sometimes. But something you said really made a practical point to me--one of the main things I want IS a table!!! Right now we usually sit crammed around the island with our knees squished, and everyone leaves too soon because we're uncomfortable--so that is in my top three--because that IS where memories are made. The more practical I can be, the better. I am trying to say to myself, we are so blessed, this is a wonderful house, life is good, a few changes would make things a little easier, and sooner or later we will move because it's practical and life will continue to be good. As a friend of mine said to me recently, we have privileged problems. Pbris--yay--okay, I think I'm going to use that copper hood, darn it! Seriously, after reading what you said I am fairly certain that most of the changes we want to make are really just for us. That's why the giant bids stopped us short. I think this house is just about maxed out in terms of value, and spending $220K (yes, that's what the bids were!) makes no sense. So--Bmore and cooksnsews--we need to figure out what we would spend on ourselves. (This is where DH and I might have some problems--he is an ascetic Yankee and I am a hedonistic southerner, LOL) Actually, when I think about it, if I just painted the cabinets white I would be so much happier! Farmhouse--what you say makes a lot of sense--unfortunately the two bids were quite close. That's why I got so discouraged--I assumed the first one was just insane and the second would be more realistic. What I am thinking is we should do minor things, and make sure that nothing we do precludes something bigger later, if we decided to really stay. It is weird though when you suddenly start thinking about moving...your heart isn't in the work as much. Mamadada, you understand these crazy MA prices!! We are lucky in that our home has basically held its value (down a little from the crazy inflated values of a year or two ago, but still a lot more than we paid for it). About yards, I am actually a fan of small gardens...they are much less overwhelming and I can be sort of OCD and pluck every stray blade of grass :). But my ever-larger sons really want room for the pitchback and a basketball hoop... I did go to some open houses on Sunday. It was educational. One of them was this lovely Victorian but walking into it just made me tired...I could just feel things breaking as I stood there! I think our next house (if there is one) might be of a more recent vintage. That or already COMPLETELY overhauled (dreaming...). Thank you all again. This forum is wonderful....See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNHow to Lose Some of Your Upper Kitchen Cabinets
Lovely views, display-worthy objects and dramatic backsplashes are just some of the reasons to consider getting out the sledgehammer
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGHousekeeping 101: How to Clean Silver
Learn from a pro how to properly clean and care for your precious silverware
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDitch the Rules but Keep Some Tools
Be fearless, but follow some basic decorating strategies to achieve the best results
Full Story
STORAGE10 Ways to Get More Storage Out of Your Space
Just when you think you can’t possibly fit all your stuff, these storage ideas come to the rescue
Full Story
FURNITUREIconic Designs: 10 Modern Dining Chairs to Know
Elevate your dining space with classic chairs by some of the 20th century’s revered designers
Full Story
ORGANIZING21 Tips for Organizing Your Stuff
Restore order at home with these ideas for tidying up cupboards, shelves, doors and more
Full Story
ENTERTAININGSimple Pleasures: The Reimagined Potluck
Party guests can bring more to the table than just the food. Enlisting help with setup, decorations and drinks spreads the work and the fun
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES9 Things for Every Home’s Wish List
A splurge, some sparkle and a great place to read. Elements like these can dramatically elevate your interior design
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEShow Us Your Hardworking Pantry
Do you have a clever and convenient kitchen storage setup? Throw some light on the larder and share your pictures and strategies
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDRemake Your Backyard Into a Mini Farm
You can get a taste of country life by line-drying your laundry, growing some produce or going whole hog with the critters
Full Story





John Liu