SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theroselvr

Holiday decorating / slightly OT

theroselvr
16 years ago

Hubby & I were talking the other day that since NJ has had great weather that we'll go to the storage garage (yes I have that much stuff) and dig out our Christmas decorations. Of course they were the 1st thing to get loaded in, so it will be an all day affair.

I can't wait to start decorating. Christmas has been my favorite holiday, although I have no clue why. Last Christmas I didn't start my shopping until late November, I am usually done by September with small, last minute items picked up in November. Last year was hard, not only because I had back surgery but because it was my 1st Christmas without my dad.

I collect Hallmark ornaments, Barbies for me, as well as Harley's / old cars, reproduction toys and dolls; bears & shoes / purses for my daughter and trains & plains for my son. I also love to find glass ornaments, our favorites are a Christmas pickle & VW Bug. Each year since we've been together hubby & I have gotten a dated "our Christmas" type ornament, my favorite being a champagne glass by Lenox from the year we were married.

We have so many Christmas decorations, it would fit in an 8X10 storage shed. Our tree has tons of lights, mostly white with colored lights as accent. We also have small Hallmark trees for every bedroom, my son has a limited edition train base that's pretty neat. My daughter has a tree skirt that I made when I used to sew.

I love to collect stockings. We hang one on every door and almost have enough to hang one on each side of the doors :) With all of the inside decorating I do, I'm not big on the outside, except for maybe bows & garland. I used to love decorating the outside & have wanted a porch to decorate.

I'm not big on other holidays, although I usually hang a wreath for each season. I love the look of fall (not Halloween) decorating, but never decorated here I guess because I'm too busy tending to the garden, putting roses to bed for the winter & decorating for Christmas as early as I can.

I can't wait to move into our next house because I'm anxious to decorate the stairway (which I've never had) as well as now having the room to set up both of our large trees.

Comments (11)