SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahannseitz

IKEA Sektion Kitchen Remodel DIY

Sarah Seitz
8 years ago

IKEA Sektion Kitchen Remodel · More Info

The Story:

6 months ago my husband and I embarked upon a major kitchen remodel! We bought our Seattle 1948 mid-century rambler with basement about 3.5 years ago. It was actually the first house we saw when house-hunting, and although the home was in great shape and had good bones...the kitchen was just so outdated! And I mean top of the line 1970s chef's kitchen:

The kitchen was also completely closed off to the rest of the house, and with two young children this meant I could barely cook without employing the ol' TV babysitter while I worked. Here's a before view of the living room looking into the kitchen through that doorway. Behind the dining room is our living room. You can also see just how dark it was in that kitchen!

Kitchen Remodel Process · More Info

So 3 years after living with our 70s kitchen, we finally decided to take the plunge and do the remodel. We knew it would be a slow process since my husband was doing most of the work himself (and also has two jobs) so we moved in with my parents during the process.

Day One: DESTROY that kitchen! Goodbye drop ceiling (hello extra 12"!!), adios brown tiles galore, au revoir florescent lights and oak cabinets!

You know what's not fun to remove? 4" of mortar under said ugly brown tiles...thanks dear husband for that! We eventually figured out they used mortar to level out a transition between the kitchen subfloor and a concrete block stoop which the previous homeowner reappropriated to become part of the kitchen.

Next came the day I couldn't wait for...removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room. This was a turning point for me in the remodel, I don't think I realized how amazing and functional my house could be with a modern open concept floor plan.

Now that we had the space opened up, we realized that a huge improvement could be made to the space if we removed the wall over the stairs to our basement. After consulting a structural engineer my husband went to work securing the trusses in our attic. About a hundred dollars of materials and a few hours of (hard) work made a huge impact on our space.

Top: Before (see studs to the ceiling over the stairwell). Bottom: After (wall removed except for about a 3' section across from the dining room).

Another exciting day of the remodel, DRYWALL! Plus my cutie 3 boys :):

Now to the fun part...I designed the Kitchen using IKEA's Kitchen Planner. I have a real love/hate relationship with that program...but in the end it worked out nicely and I ended up with a really good, realistic image of what my kitchen would look like.

We purchased the cabinets during IKEA's sale and qualified for 20% off our order. The next few weeks (months...) were dedicated to putting together cabinet bases, drawers, shelves, and then finally installing the kitchen. IKEA recently switched to a new kitchen system in early 2015, Sektion, which we purchased. Being that the system is brand new, there was little to no user experience reviews of how the installation process was compared to IKEA's former system. For the most part Sektion works nicely. But folks, be warned, BUY AT LEAST A 6' LEVEL WHEN INSTALLING THE BASES. We ended up with tiny inconsistencies in the levelness of the bases and had to re-install one portion of the cabinets after a failed countertop templating.

Above you can see my kitchen plan from IKEA's program, and below how similarly it all came together.

Early on in the process I decided I wanted to put some sort of a custom spin on our IKEA kitchen. I spent hours researching custom doors/drawers for IKEA bases (Semihandmade, Kokeena, Dunsmuir, Scherr's, Evan's Cabinets & Doors, etc.) but for the most part it was either too expensive (first three options) or felt too risky to me (though I know plenty of people have used Scherr's with great success). Being that the whole design process was so DIY, I was really concerned that there would be lots of exchanges/adjustments to be made once we started the installation process, and I didn't like the idea of having to do returns and pay high shipping prices at a place like Scherr's. I live about 30 minutes from an IKEA store, and liked the idea of being able to visit the store in person to deal with issues (I'm sure I went to IKEA 5 or 6 times during the whole remodel).

What I ended up deciding to do was to purchase the IKEA Bjorket (birch) doors and have them custom painted with a highly durable conversion varnish finish here in Seattle. I also had my painters fill in the gaps the Bjorket doors/drawers have between the shaker stiles and rails. I didn't care for the way IKEA highlighted those gaps, and I think filling them in gave me a much more custom look (who would know these are IKEA cabinets?). Professional spray painting is expensive, but in the end I felt it was worth every penny for the custom look I added to the stock IKEA cabinets.

Without further adieu, here are the finished photos of my IKEA Kitchen Remodel (more in the comments as I could only attach a limited number to my post):

Find more finished pics in the comments below. Please feel free to ask any questions you have about the process or building an IKEA kitchen. We feel so blessed to call this place home!

Comments (107)