SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntipton

Kitchen remodel, looking at Viking fridge, ongoing quality issues?

NFT
8 years ago

I have lurked on here for many years, but never got it together to actually post. I have done extensive searches and read what folks have said through the years, but there does seem to be a deficit of current (2014-2015) information on Viking.

We are in the midst of planning a kitchen remodel and we have the range mostly figured out (BS or CC), a Miele steam oven, and Bosch dishwasher. But the fridge is a big wild card. We had planned on a Liebherr after Internet research and the help of salespeople at a number of local sales floors. But, one sales person told us he thought we were making a mistake and should seriously consider the Viking VCBB5363ERSS. I slightly gasped and couldn't believe this was a serious suggestion, but he showed it to us and the fit and finish truly exceeds the Liebherr. With the free Viking "professional" hood, the price comes out to about $1000 more than the Liebherr + Vent a hood we were considering.

My concern, besides the Viking reputation, is the single compressor.

The salesman swore up and down that the company has improved dramatically with the acquisition. Build quality is better, customer service is better, etc. it sounds a bit like the local rep has made substantial inroads with this salesperson, but is it at all true? There is minimal post-2013 information out there, and certainly there are very few 2014 and 2015 stories (good or bad). Are there any recent Viking owners that have good stories? Certainly the 3 yr warranty helps - and I guess anyone who has purchased since the acquisition is still in that warranty - but have there been a lot of warranty repairs? How was customer service from Viking gone?

and, other than the Liebherr, are there fridges I should be considering? I want to keep it around 7-8000 including the hood. Can't go Thermador because I want my range, Miele and sub zero are out of my budget. Anything im missing?

Thanks!

Comments (21)