SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atomicjay7

Baseboard heating help

AtomicJay007
8 years ago

Hi folks, I've just about exhausted my limited knowledge of how baseboard heating systems work, and so I'm hoping to get some ideas from others here about what may be causing a few of my baseboards to not heat.

Here's the setup: 3 zones of baseboard heat, closed water circulation system heated by a dedicated boiler (does not heat water for whole house, only for the baseboard system.) Baseboards are the kind with metal fins coming off copper pipes.

Issue: In one of the zones, hot water is not flowing to two of the baseboards. All of the other baseboards in that loop are getting plenty hot, except for those two. Those two are ice cold, absolutely no hot water going through them.

What I've done so far to try to fix it: First, I started off by opening the valve at the cold baseboard (only 1 of the 2 has a valve) to see if there was air in the system. I let the water drain out of there for about 15 minutes to make sure all of the air was flushed from the system. The heater was ON when I did this. As the water was draining, it went from ice cold to hot over the 15 minute period of time. I went to the other cold baseboard, and it was emitting heat. The baseboard with the water release valve also began emitting heat. Problem solved, I thought. Closed the water release valve, put the cover back on the baseboard. Came back about 15 minutes later and both units were ice cold again.

Next day, I turned off the heat and let the water cool in all zones. I then performed a purge at the boiler to make sure no air was trapped. I started off by closing the return valve, manually opening one zone at a time and flushing water out of the system and into a bucket. There were little to no air bubbles coming out of the hose submerged in the bucket and the little bit of air that was in there dissipated within seconds. From then on, no air bubbles formed in the bucket. I did about 3 buckets for each zone. Restarted the system, all of the baseboards heated back up except for those same two. BTW - I also inspected the expansion tank (it's at 20psi, and the bladder is still intact.) I made sure the small knob on the top of the expansion tank was open slightly so that any trapped air would be released.

I'm now out of ideas. Can anyone give me some next steps to check out? Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (14)