SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hcvande

In Over My Head - Kitchen Remodel

hcvande
8 years ago

I'm asking forgiveness in advance, as I have lurked for a long time on these forums, but never posted. I'm not really sure where to begin, but quickly found I am in over my head trying to remodel a 1980's ranch kitchen (honey oak floors and cabinets). I sought the help of a KD, but they want to work with their line of cabinets leaving me no good way to price out other options. I haven't received those drawings yet and after reading through hundreds of GW posts, I am trying to get estimates from other non-KD vendors. I need more than cabinets though...lighting, fixtures, most appliances, cabinets and countertops. I thought I might work on the layout on my own, but I'm afraid to manage the project without a KD. I was hoping I could post a few pictures in hopes of getting some feedback on a new layout.

My current kitchen dimensions are 15'x12'7" and includes a 6'x3' enclosure with bi-fold doors for the laundry, so the actual kitchen area is small. We have the washer/dryer side by side, but would like to tear down the enclosure and stack the W/D so we can add a pantry. We don't have much room for seating in the kitchen, but I would like to attempt something. We recently replaced all the windows in our house so I can't really change the three windows in the kitchen. Any advice on how to better utilize our limited space? The first picture is our current layout with the WD side by side and the second one is my attempt - is the banquette seating too cramped? Maybe a slide-in range and skip the cooktop? Not sure I'm on the right track. Thanks so much to everyone posting on these forums. The information is so helpful!!

Comments (38)