Meant i-5 vs i-7 Intel

jane__ny
8 years ago

Sorry, hit the wrong key.

Jane

Comments (30)

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

The average user will never know the difference. The clock speed (usually a number expressed as something between 1.5 and 4.0 GHz) can be noticeable as between one that's slow (lower number) or fast (higher number) but again, other than those doing processor-intensive tasks (like editing video or games), most users won't notice a difference.

Someone doing web browsing and other undemanding tasks (simple spreadsheets, word processing) most certainly wouldn't notice a difference in either case.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

Jane-

Are you aware that you can just go back to a post and edit it if you made a mistake? You don't need to create a whole new post.

• Related Discussions

Significance of 5 leaf vs. 7 leaf roses

Q

Comments (4)
    artemis_mo-- Go to photobucket.com and register (it's a free service). Then follow their easy directions for uploading your photos to photobucket. Once the photos are there, look underneath the photo--find and copy the "html tag" line. Come over here to the forum and paste the "html tag" right in the message box you type in your messages in. That's all there is to it. Oh, you can type above and below the html tag. Don't know the answer to your leaf questions, but I hope the photo info. was helpful. Kate
    ...See More

Flooring decision - White vs Red Oak, Q&R vs Select, 5 vs 7 inch

Q

Comments (4)
    With the dark stain, it visually won't matter that much. White oak will tend to have tighter grain (softer texture) than red oak. It is also a slightly harder wood which is better for dents. Rift and quartered has a different look than plain-sawn flooring. It is linear looking with annual rings running more or less in straight lines along the planks. 10-20% of the R&Q lot will exhibit ray fleck, which is quite pretty. Plain-sawn produces a cathedral pattern with the annual rings, what most people think of with oak. R&Q is superior in dimensional stability and should seriously be considered if you go with solid wood and 5" or wider planks. Anything over 8' in length is probably overkill unless you have huge rooms or very wide hallways where it might show. I installed a mixed width and I don't care for the 7" wide by 1' long. It seems out of proportion. Average length is the key and look for 4'-5'. An 8' long by 8" wide is actually as large as I would recommend for a typical remodel because of access (unless the wood comes in through the windows). Here is what I did (you can zoom in on the pics to see the grain and fleck): Here is a link that might be useful: Waterlox on Oak
    ...See More

Kenmore Elite HE5T vs. GE 6240 3.7cu

Q

Comments (2)
    I think the HE5t is a better washer, but it is also more expensive than the GE. The HE5t is made by Whirlpool (Bauknecht) in Germany and is a sibling to the Maytag Epic and Whirlpool Duet HT, so you might want to consider those as well. I think the GE is made in China, so the build quality is probably not as good as the Whirlpool quality. You can look at the HE5t siblings at Lowes and see what set of cyclesand options you like the best. They all have the internal water heater and are very similar. I don't think you can go wrong with one of those washers. Good luck!
    ...See More

5" vs 7" engineered hickory floor for stability

Q

Comments (1)
    Check the installation instructions for the hickory. I MUST be allowed over top of HYDRONIC (water/oil/gel) in-floor heating. That's first and foremost. And then check to see if you can maintain 45% humidity at all times in the home (A/C might not be enough; dehumidifier located in basement probably isn't enough). Each story must have 45% humidity at all times. Now the width. I see no reason to go with 7". To me there is, visually, very little difference in the floor once the product has been laid. The 7" width is, to me, a trendy product. I know...some classic floors out there have this width (Buckingham Palace being one of them) but it isn't something you see from 100 years ago. I digress. The 5" width is a bit more 'middle of the road' while still maintaining the wide-plank trend. If you MUST have wide plank hardwood in a vacation home with in-floor radiant heat, in an area that has humidity swings, then go with the 5". It is just a snick safer...all the way around.
    ...See More
  • jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Snidley. I was wondering about the price difference.

Kudzo, I did edit the post below but it wouldn't let me edit the title of the post. I tried every which way and would not work. I wanted to make sure I had the #'s correct and noticed my mistake after hitting submit. I went back and edited the body of the post but it would not let me change the title.

Jane

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

Jane-

Aha...well I learned something...thanks! :-)

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm Assuming that this means you're looking for a new Desktop Computer Jane? An i3 or i5 would most likely be plenty of computer for you! Like Snidely posted: you most likely won't notice the difference in an i5 or i7. An i3 would be plenty of machine too, IMO.

I'm using my New Laptop right now. Went from a Pentium Dual Core - 2.0GHz to a Quad Core - Core i5 at 1.6GHz - 2.6GHz. As Snidely also posted: If you only doing Web Browsing, Word Processing and Spreadsheets you won't notice the difference in speed at all. If you're going to be Gaming, Editing Videos, Etc... you may need more speed (something tells me you're not)!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all.

Actually, I was looking for a Christmas gift for our son. He's still working on an old Vista machine which still works but I thought it would be a nice gift.

I tend to look for the 'latest and greatest' so it will extend the life and ability of the computer. I feel like ordering a machine with i3 is like ordering an old model of a car, lol.

I figure if Intel came out with i7 going with i3 is an old system. Is that correct?

Plus, the price difference was about $120.00. So if you were choosing would you go for the faster processor at the price difference?

Bugs, I was looking at desktops but they wind up being so expensive! About $1,000 because they don't come with a monitor. So, I decided to live with this laptop and see if I can get my old monitor to work with it. I really do not like working on a laptop. I feel like i'm getting a neck strain looking down at the screen. I'd like a bigger screen.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

The thing with any computer (if you're trying to go Top of the Line) is that you need to make sure you're buying the Newest Processor out there. Great Prices sometimes (guess I should say, most of the time) means you're buying older Hardware. You really need to compare and doing your homework is where it all starts.

The i3, 15 and i7 have been around for quite a while now, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's old technology, just the reuse of the name. I'm not sure what Generation Intel is on right now, but lets compare it to MAC and the iPad. If you've ever noticed, MAC has the iPad 1st Gen, 2nd Gen. 3rd Gen and 4th Gen (maybe 5th and 6th, don't know for sure). Each one is still called the iPad but is better and faster than it's predecessor. Intel is doing the same thing, the i3, i5 an i7 each have had the next generation a few times over.

So Yes, The i7 is better than the i5 and i3. You just need to be sure you're buying the newest i7 Processor available (or the best you can afford)! The Intel Core i7 is available in Quad Core, 6-Core and 8-Core at this current time. There may even be older versions out there (be careful). An 8-Core Intel Core i7 is going to cost $$$$ just for the processor! Here is a link to Newegg for theIntel i7 Processors. If I were you, I'd take a look at Newegg's Prices on the i7's, i5's and i3's, then decided what price range you might want to be in for the Whole Computer (not just the Processor)!

Hope I haven't confused you! A Budget would be a very good thing to start with and trying to stay within that limit!

• User
    8 years ago

BTW Jane, I have a Desktop with a 26" Screen. I hate using the Desktop because the screen is so large and it hurts my neck. I find myself looking up too much just to see the screen. Using my laptop while it's sitting on my laptop doesn't bother my neck as much. It may have something to do with me having had Cervical Surgery on my neck years ago!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Interesting about the large screen. I find I'm hunched over looking at the laptop. I have it on a laptop table but I am always looking down. On my old desktop, I could read for hours straight ahead. We are all different. I have a bad shoulder (broke it years ago) and using the laptop keyboard hurts my shoulder after a while.

I just ordered a new desk from Target that has a keyboard tray (hard to find those anymore). I was hoping I'd find a desktop but decided I will try to hook up my old monitor to my laptop and use it that way.

I didn't order my son a computer because I got totally confused with all the different specs. Depending on what website I visited they were all different with different prices and I just gave up. I've decided looking for a bargain for something you use every day and expect to work well is not worth bargain prices.

I just expected prices would have come down from 8 years ago. Doesn't seem like they have when you want a decent computer.

Thanks again,

Jane

• mike_kaiser_gw
    8 years ago

Back in the day, processors were a BIG selling factor because there was huge and apparent leap between generations of processors. Heck, the home builders would overclock processors to eek out a little more performance. I had a Intel Pentium 233 that I overclocked by upping the speed of the front side bus and an AMD Duron processor that could be overclocked by just using a pencil to trace between a couple of contacts. Then you would slowly turn up the speed just to the point before where the system became unstable. Fun stuff! Now we've reached the point that processors are plenty powerful enough for what most of us do on a regular basis. As someone mentioned, gaming (like first person shooters, not Free Cell) and video editing are the real exceptions. Then the graphics processor (video card) plays a big role too.

Today, I would make sure the system had enough memory (8 gigs is a good number) and if you're feeling frisky, a solid state drive. Unless you take and keep lots of photo and more importantly videos, even the most modest computers come with a plenty large enough hard drive.

• User
    8 years ago

You should only go Top-Of-The-Line if you have lots of money to waste! It's always good to buy a Later Generation and save your Money! My New Laptop for instance was over a year old when I purchased it, originally a $800-$1000 laptop. I picked this Laptop up for $350.

Check with your son before buying a computer though. If he's a Gamer, a Basic Off the Shelf Computer might not be good enough (he may want to add some of his own $$$). Like Mike posted above, Gamers usually need a Great Graphics Card in the computer! Taking your son along with you to shop may not be a bad Idea either (if he knows anything about computers)!

Snidely has it right! If he's only doing Web Browsing, Word Processing and Spreadsheets, any computer on the shelves today will be more then adequate!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all the info.

Bugs, I went to your link. I would have no idea what to do with those. I am not building a computer. In my old age, I want to be able to buy a decent computer.

Snidely, I appreciate your advice.....but, but, but.... I do not want to pay the same amount for old stuff, vs newer stuff. As I look around at the, so-called sales, what I see are great prices for old 'stuff.' If I'm going to pay over a thousand dollars, I want something which can handle the changes in the next 5 years. But you are right, I do go overboard on trying to analyze everything. I do the same thing when I am buying a new car. These things have to last a long time and I don't want to make a mistake. But I loved that phrase :))

I know nothing about AMD but would prefer to stick with Intel. I always thought AMD was cheap stuff. So I don't look at those but notice they had great prices on them on the shopping channels.

I've had good luck all these years with Intel. I've also had good luck with Dell machines. Maybe Dell has changed, but those machines are still working and working well. Some over 8 years. My hubby uses them to store his zillions of photos. Hard drives still spinning and no problems. But, I'm open to other companies. Had an HP machine and it was good.

I am not a gamer, my son is not. But he does a lot of work on his computer. He works for the Dept of Labor and hosts job fairs and helps Vets get jobs. Lots of paperwork and resumes. Stores tons of info on people. Time for a new computer. Vista has done a decent job but he worries about the slow loading. So, I'd like to get him a good machine for Christmas.

Mike, you are so smart and savvy! I wish I were, but I just want the computer to work quickly and not give me a hassle. I do find I am having so much difficulty navigating Win 10 and finding things I need to find. I do find some things but by luck! Can't find my way back. I don't like that. As you get older, things don't come as quickly and 'stick' as well as they did when younger. Plus, I find I don't want to spend my day doing this. I want the computer to do what I want and I do want to spend forever trying to figure out each new operating system.

Apple may change, but things stay the same. I use their phone and IPad. The Ipad is old but everything stays the same. I can find my way around. I'm tempted to look at their computers, but they are sooooo expensive for very small machines.

Now, solid state, that's another story. I've come across that and was going to ask you guys what that is all about. Seems quite expensive. Is it worth the money? I assume it does away with the hard drive.

Anyway, hopefully this can help others if they are looking for information on buying a new computer. I feel guilty taking up so much time.

You guys are always the best!!! Thank you so much.

Jane

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

Jane-

Time to order the Windows 10 book so you can find things intentionally, not by accident!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    8 years ago

The Dept. of Labor doesn't provide a computer for your son to use at job fairs? Where are my tax dollars going? <lol>

I haven't been following the processor wars but AMD processors have generally been a bit less expensive than those from Intel. That doesn't make them "cheap" nor necessarily less capable.

Hard drives have always been the slowest part of a computer because the amount of time it takes to read and write information to the drive is MUCH longer than it takes anywhere else in the computer. To put it simply, everything else in the computer is waiting on the hard drive to do its thing. A hard drive uses spinning magnetized discs to store information while solid state drives use memory chips (somewhat like flash/thumb drive). The result is much faster read/write times but the drawback is higher prices (dollars per unit of storage) and the chips can only be written to so many times. Prices for SSDs have dropped and a good quality SSD with about 250 GB of storage goes for about $80, while the same $80 would buy well over a TB of storage in a traditional hard drive. But the reality is that most of us don't need anywhere near a terabyte of storage. It's kind of like getting a good deal on a semi tractor/trailer to go grocery shopping, you aren't going to fill the trailer.

If you're planning on spending over $1,000 buy a MacBook Pro or the Air with a 13" screen. Doubly so if he already has an iPhone and/or iPad because the devices integrate so well.

• User
    8 years ago

Jane,

My link was just so you could see how many options that there are out there and that if you wanted Top-of-the-line that you would pay well over $1000 just for the processor! I wasn't trying to get you to build your own (I would however be happy to build it for you)!

AMD, long story short: AMD makes great capable Processors and have been making them for a very long time (just as long as Intel). My current Desktop Computer is an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition at 3.0GHz. Like Snidely stated: once the Processors reach a certain speed you won't notice much of a difference buying a Newer Faster Processor! My AMD is around 7-8 yrs. old and still runs like a champ. It will compete with most computers being sold today!

SSD Drives: like Mike stated, Hard Drives have always been what slows your computer down. I won't go into any Details, Mike has already done a fine job. Running a decent sized SSD Drive (250GB-500GB) to run the Operating System (Windows), Office Package and your Programs, then using a Standard Hard Drive for Storage will definitely increase the speed of the computer.

Our New Laptops I purchased came with 500GB Hard Drive 5400rpm. I add an mSATA SSD Drive (256GB) to these laptops and reinstalled Windows 10, MS Office and my Programs to the SSD Drive. I then reformatted the 500GB Hard Drives and set them up to handle all the Storage on these Laptops (Documents, Photos, Videos, Downloads, etc...).

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, I get the picture of SSD Drive. Not necessary for what I want to do nor my son. They are very expensive from my research. Macs are ridiculous as 13" computers are $1,500. That's crazy. So, I'll stick with PC's.

AMD's are much cheaper than Intel. The shopping channel has been selling them for around $500. Check the link I posted.

Mike, this is Florida. Dep't of Labor is basically a private recruiting setup with funds going to a few people who help the Vets (which my son does). He has an office computer but the job fairs are on fair grounds, parking lots, Goodwill, Salvation Army. He uses his laptop. Its complicated to explain but the system is very poor. Long story, not going to bore you with it.

Yes I can see the AMD processors are a lot less expensive. Not sure about them as I've never had one. I'll probably stick with Intel. Haven't bought anything yet, probably keep looking. Maybe as we get closer to Christmas, prices will drop.

Kudzu, I know. Maybe I'll order it tonight What bothers me is that everyone who has a Win 10 has a different desktop. But, I'll order it from Amazon. I really don't want to learn another system. Its so time consuming and my memory is not the greatest.

Thanks guys,

Jane

Dell 17" Laptop

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Walmart is a better place to buy PCs than any TV shopping outlet. Easier no hassle returns, better prices.

Along with ignoring specs for a midrange machine, you can also ignore who makes the processor. Shop by price only for a mainstream machine of a well regarded brand (which Dell is not). Whether AMD or Intel is a cost factor for the manufacturer and not a matter a buyer or user needs to think about.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    8 years ago

There's more to a computer than the size of the screen but Macs have always been expensive and that's not likely to change. I'm typing this on a Windows laptop with a 15" screen. The area of the screen I'm actually using is about 7" x 7" so there is a fair amount of "wasted" space but the screen isn't sufficiently large so that I could open another application and use them side-by-side. Well, maybe I could but I'd have to up the strength of my glasses. <lol>

The biggest advantage to a Mac is the operating system and since Apple is the only game in town... But similarly spec'd PC's aren't cheap either.

As I said, you can buy a 250 GB SSD for about $80, which is about $40 more than the same size traditional hard drive. That's hardly VERY expensive.

I don't think you've mentioned an actual budget for this purchase. Maybe that would help people make recommendations.

• DA_Mccoy
    8 years ago

Strictly as a reference:

A recent read of the Consumer Reports 2016 Buying Guide left me with the impression that excluding Macs CR found a three year failure rate of all brands of laptops averaged 1 in 5. Mac was 1 in 10.

Always had an Intel processor until this AMD. For me, and what I do, I can't tell the difference.

DA

• User
    8 years ago

I've been using AMD Processors in my Desktop Computers for quite some time. My last Intel Desktop Computer was a Pentium III 750MHz. Every Desktop Computer since has been AMD Processors.

For me, I've never owned a Laptop with an AMD Processor, only Desktop Computers. I'm sure AMD's would work just fine in a laptop, it's just that I found some good deals on Intel Laptops at the time when I needed a new laptop.

I'd agree with Snidely that Dell aren't the best Computers out there!

As Mike stated above: MAC's have the better ratings when you look at failures (they have less). This is mainly because there are just so many PC Manufacturers (different makes and models). Some Manufacturers have good reputations, other not so much! It's always a good Idea to do some homework to find out who's making the quality computers these days. It's usually not the Processors that Fail on Computers, it's the Hardware like Motherboards, Hard Drives, Fans, etc...

BTW, a Budget would be nice (how much $$$$). Also, are we looking for a 15.6" Screen or a 17.3" Screen. How about Touchscreen, is it a necessity? If you can give us some of the basic requirements this would be easier!

• mikie_gw
    8 years ago

Hard to go wrong with a thinkpad laptop. T series is especially popular. Seem to last years. Have to look around to select one as there are lots of thinkpad models with big price differences. The do have an E economy series ThinkPad but it maybe isn't up to the normal quality.

Intels latest is 6th generation cpu's but its really really new. The 5th generation is new too. Newer generation processors have better battery life. There are some newer win10 features that require newer intel processors.

i5 and i7 are same processors basically - the i7 is the top of speed line. My laptop with i5 2.5ghz cpu was replaced with a i7 2.7ghz.. tell absolutely no difference.

I don't know why give those speed ratings as they really are variable speed cpus depending on whats happening and that published speed is the speed the processor runs when overheating... it slows down to that speed. Actually run around 500ghz or slighly more faster which can heat up if run under load constantly.

I've had intel, I've had AMD. Intel generally is cooler running which is nice in a laptop. Intel cpu has a wireless mode which some newer tv's have that amd wont have.

I love SSD's - bootime here is under 5 seconds to a working desktop on win10.. even faster if I were to enable win10 FastBoot which is sort of a limited hardware & settings only hibernate type shut down.

My laptop main drive is a 128gb ssd. I have a second hard drive internally, its a 250gb ssd & on my Wi-Fi accesspoint another spinner hard drive attacted there on usb3 - with AC Wi-Fi its almost as fast as an internal drive, for storage its ok. Acts just like an internal drive... as a mapped drive. Simple stuff.

Was given a Vista laptop, slower than molasses with 3gb ram & about 8 yrs old. Oh so painful to use while cleaning it up. I put in my 128 SSD after I spilled hot cocoa on my regular laptop, which needed a couple days to drain and dry... suddenly this old computer with a SSD its about same feel as my i7 16gb ram laptop. Seems mostly as fast for sure until you hit the memory intensive programs.

• User
    8 years ago

A few year back I added a 500GB 7200rpm Seagate Momentus XT SSHD Hard Drive to my Older Acer Laptop. This drive is a Hybrid Drive and it did increase the speed of my Old Acer 2.0GHz Dual Core Laptop tremendously.

In my New Acer Laptop I do have a Crucial 256gb mSATA SSD Drive as my main drive. It also has the 500gb 5400 rpm (thin) hard drive that came with the computer still in the laptop for storage. I will eventually replace this drive with something faster.

As Mike Stated: the Boot time on the SSD Drive is awesome! I'm totally logged onto my laptop and ready to go in under 13 seconds. This time does include the time it takes to type my Password. The Seagate Momentus XT SSHD Drive was impressive but not quite as fast as the SSD drive is, maybe about 17-18 seconds to boot!

I do agree with recommending a Thinkpad. They are very good reliable Laptops that are made to last. Although, I have an Acer Laptop I purchased at the same time as my wife 's Thinkpad and both are in excellent shape after 6 years (the battery is 6 yrs. old too). The life of a Laptop can depend upon how well you take care of your Laptop, My Acer looks like it brand new.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My budget is $800.00 max. The computer needs Office installed. Touchscreen isn't necessary. 17" screen with dvd drive.

Not sure about solid state drive. I've never seen one (maybe I did and didn't realize it). Sounds great but cost is a concern.

This would be a gift for son for x-mas.

Shopping channel has a Dell 17" AMD, A8 processor. 8 Gig Ram, 1TB hard drive. This deal offers a Canon Pixma Printer.

Price for 17": is $700.00

Easier to paste:

• 2.2GHz AMD A8-7410 quad-core processor, up to 2.5GHz
    • 17.3" diagonal HD+ TrueLife LED-backlit display, 1600x900 resolution
    • 8GB RAM
    • 1TB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
    • DVD drive
    • Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • AMD APU
    • Waves MaxxAudio
    • Waves MaxxAudio
    • 720p webcam
    • 1-year Microsoft Office 365 subscription
    • SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader
    • USB 3.0 port
    • Two USB 2.0 ports
    • HDMI 1.4a port
    • Lock Slot

How does this deal look ?

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

That computer would be okay for your son, but I see on the other post you ended up buying a Laptop with an Intel i5 Processor!

Did you happen to notice that the MS Office Package is a 1 year Subscription? The New Office 365 is paid for yearly. At least this way you do have the newest MS Office all the time!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I didn't order that computer above. I went directly to the Dell website and ordered a Intel i5, 8GB, 1TB, and a single order for MS Office. I didn't want the subscription. It wound up costing me $800.00. 17" screen, no touch, lit keyboard, three usb's and dvd drive.

I got so tired of looking around. We've had good luck with Dell's and all our machines are so old and all working, I didn't know the other companies, never bought anything beside Dell. Sort of like having a Chevy and always sticking with them.

I'm glad its over. Hope I didn't overpay but I needed to to get this xmas gift going.

Thanks so much again for the great advice. I hope it can help other's.

Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have my Office disks from our older computers. I am going to see if they will work on MY Win 10 laptop which doesn't have office. The newest version I have is Office 07. I'd like to keep it as I'm familiar with it. I do not want a paid subscription.

Has anyone noticed how much cloud storage costs? I find I'm spending money here and there for storage I'm not sure I need.

Photobucket, ICloud, All Recipes, ITunes. It doesn't break the bank, but it does start to add up.

I just went to ICloud and began deleting photos. Boy, do they add up!

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

Just asked at your other post who the manufacturer was. Guess it's a Dell! There are still other questions on your other post!

Our New Acer Laptops have Intel i5 Processors. I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 12GB and Added a 256GB mSATA SSD Drive for the main drive. I kept the 500GB Standard Hard Drives that came with the laptops as Storage Drives.

Those SSD Drives are awesome. Under 20 seconds to fully boot into Windows, and that includes the time to type the password!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Too many threads, I apologize! Yes a Dell. I looked at the SSD Drives, but they were way out of our budget. Maybe over time the prices will drop. I wish I had your tech savvy to do what you do.

Thanks again,

jane

• User
    8 years ago

Nothing really hard about working on computer in todays world. If it was 20 years ago it would be a totally different story. Most of todays Hardware is Plug and Play and the Operating Systems (like Windows) do the work for you. In the old days it could take hours on end to install a CD Rom or a Sound Card to go with it!