SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Bluetooth dongle?

chas045
8 years ago

I have a two year old HP Envy laptop. I just acquired a bluetooth speaker. Noting that almost all cell phones and i-pads etc have Bluetooth built in, I was surprised to find that my computer didn't have it. I was able to pair the speaker with wife's i-pad and it seemed to work well at some distance.

After realizing that the computer lacked bluetooth, I bought a $15 bluetooth dongle from Amazon. I was finally able to pair it with the speaker but the sound was static laced even at 3' from the computer. I am returning the dongle. Do you think that inexpensive dongles are a poor approach, or did I just get a dud. I had asked HP and they said that they sold some card for ~$50. I assume a card must be installed in the case somewhere. Are most laptops, netbooks or whatever, easy to open for installation. Until I typed that last sentence, I hadn't looked at the back of this computer. It does show a part of the bottom that could be infered to hold the hard drive, memory and wifi, but there are no screws or anything in that area. Anyway, is a card or another dongle or something else the way to get decent bluetooth?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths