SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aigredoux

Christmas menu dilemma

Butternut
8 years ago

This year I'm hosting Christmas dinner for my family and my husband's family.

My family is made up of pretty adventurous eaters and cooks with high standards. I feel a lot of pressure from them to put on a good meal.

My husband's family does not cook, and mainly eat Chinese take-out. My husband's brother is anorexic and will refuse to eat most anything. My husband's sister and her husband don't eat red meat for ethical reasons, and her husband is Jewish and prefers not to eat shellfish (though he will).

My family's expected Christmas meal would be a prime rib roast. In fact, my cousin told me at Thanksgiving that if I didn't plan to make one, she would bring one. She's full of talk, though. But this leaves SIL/BIL only eating sides unless I make a second main. That's what I've done in the past but I'm trying to avoid that.

I had the idea of making a "southern" menu: ham, mac and cheese, cornbread dressing, greens, scalloped potatoes, pecan pie. This has the advantage of mostly being able to be done ahead, SIL/BIL can eat the mac and cheese and sides - I can add some turkey kielbasa or something too. But DH says his dad doesn't like cheese so he doesn't think this is a good idea.

DH wants me to make a seafood dish, because he likes seafood and his parents like seafood. But my mother is hosting Christmas Eve and is making a seafood pasta, and so I feel like another mixed seafood dish would be duplicating. And there are a few people in my family who don't like salmon.

Is there anything that will please everyone??!?!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County