I'm breaking up with Baker's Joy!
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (41)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
The Small Joys of Gardening
Comments (28)The key word for me, Ingrid is 'small'. My allotment can be overwhelming (and here is where I bow in amazement at those of you with acres to care for). After a summer (ha) of rain, the weeds are appalling but, as long as I do not raise my nose higher than a foot, the careful and intense weeding (of a square metre)can be astonishingly satisfying - teasing out every single weedling, with a daisy grubber and trowel, I feel completely in control and what's more, it becomes totally apparent that a garden can always be brought back from the brink by doing a small job extremely well - as opposed to my normal MO of attempting to move mountains, rushing and skimping, bodging along with a maniacal sharpened hoe. And then, as a reward for industry, there is nothing nicer than to sit opposite my eldest son,with a large sheet of paper on the kitchen table, sorting and cleaning our seeds - I have a started a special collection of big seeds such as nasturtium, sweet peas and sunflower, ready for my grand-daughters baby fingers to poke in little pots and wait for the spark of life. I have to say, though Ingrid, it sounds like you did more than just a gentle primping about - digging daylilies in the heat sounds heroic....but so very virtuous and enjoyable, gazing upon the results of your labour. Glad to hear you are not being beaten down by the US weather. I hear you, Mendocino - I have fantasised about drip irrigation but always foundered at the prospect of directing water to the hundreds of pots of different sizes, with different needs - the continual rain this year has been a let off for me as by August, I am usually totally disheartened and fed up with the endless chore of watering (that sick pressured feeling when you can see your plants practically lying on the floor, wilting like a lettuce leaf on a tin roof. If all else fails, a good broom in the garden can be my most useful bit of kit....See Morehappy happy joy joy..seedlings live!
Comments (95)Tom: OK, maybe you will have to water. Some pointers that may help. Do you have some kind of SUV? I have a Suburban, so I am lucky. I have been watering about 400 new trees and some that I planted in prior years, If I use my methods and had just 100 or so--"piece of cake." I got a shallow rubber-like or flexible plastic tray that fits in the back. I can line up 40 jugs on this and can re-fill them right there and drain off the spillage out the back of the tray by pressing down its lip. I have another tray in the side that holds another 18. I drive close to me trees and carry them by twos or threes to the trees. For 90% of them I created a nice berm to hold the water, so I can pour it out fast. 100 trees, if they are in rows close toghether, maybe 2 or 2 1/2 hours. With kids helping, much less. No problem! Good luck. If you water them and keep up their strength, they will get established fast. If you see good buds form and the thick leader develop, you are home free, and one good watering now could do the trick. If the buds are really small and the leaders don't show any thickening, you should water more regurlarly until fall, if needed. --Spruce...See Morethe JOY of being counted!
Comments (16)Digit, now that you've done yours, can you do mine? Just kidding! The census of ag 1997 says that here in Wyoming greenhouses and nurseries were the 4th largest contributor to total crop sales. While that probably changed 5 years later because of drought, it tells us that there is a viable industry that would get passed up if we don't take the time to fill out the census. Unfortunately the census IS designed with the larger producers in mind,and I know it's a little scary for the large # of smaller producers, just keep in mind that it's just a tool for data collection so that they can see what's going on in ag in the country. I've got a feeling the face of Ag is changing, with loss of land to urban areas and new smaller organic farms popping up, there is just so many ways this statistical data could be used to our advantage. Just think how CSA's could demonstrate how thier market is growing, and that increases their visibility which can increase their customer base. I wouldn't be surprised if the supermarkets don't jump on the bandwagon and introduce local growers onto their shelves, but they won't if they don't see that there is a demand. The census can do a part to demonstrate that increase in demand. Goat man, your wife did it right, schedule F 1st, then census....See Moresolid, easy to clean, joy to cook on 36' rangetop/cooktop?
Comments (12)I have a Gaggenau gas cooktop and a Wolf induction cooktop in two different homes. I would have done gas in both homes, but only electric was possible in the second home. While the induction cooktop is miles ahead of standard electric cooktops, I still prefer gas. I like the visual cue that one gets from seeing the size of the flame. I have the Gaggenau model KG-291, a 36" five-burner model. It's definitely at the high end of the price spectrum, but it's a dream to use, and it cleans up beautifully and easily. Everyday cleaning is accomplished by lifting off the grates and spritzing with Windex or Formula 409 and a quick wipe with a sponge. It takes less than a minute. A more thorough cleaning (about once a week) involves lifting off the burner assemblies and scrubbing more thoroughly, usually taking 10 to 15 minutes. There are no crevices, gaps or crannies for crud to accumulate. The burner assemblies are sold brass, and darken over time, but they still look good, although not that nice brassy yellow color they have when new. My cooktop is almost 5 years old and still looks like new. It cooks like a dream with the same low simmer temperature available on all four of the main burners, regardless of whether it's a large or small burner (2 of each). The center burner is much larger, and can't be lowered to quite as low a temperature, which isn't a problem. The only real drawback to this cooktop is price. It has gotten significantly more expensive than it was when I bought mine, but I still think it's worth the price. I'd buy it again if I were outfitting a new kitchen. Here is a link that might be useful: Gaggenau KG-291...See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
Related Stories

WINTER GARDENING6 Reasons I’m Not Looking Forward to Spring
Not kicking up your heels anticipating rushes of spring color and garden catalogs? You’re not alone
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘I’m Never Leaving’ and More Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
MOST POPULARThe Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
ORGANIZING‘Tidying Up’ Author Marie Kondo Tells How to ‘Spark Joy’ at Home
A new book from the author of ‘The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up’ delves deeper into her KonMari Method of decluttering and organizing
Full Story
EXTERIOR COLORThe Joyful Exterior: Rev Up With Red
These 8 exteriors prove that red is right at home on more than just the front door
Full Story
EXTERIOR COLORThe Joyful Exterior: Perk Up Curb Appeal With a Splash of Green
You may not want to douse your whole house with it, but green can work wonders as an exterior accent color
Full Story
LIFE10 Things Around My Home That I’m Thankful For
A designer shares the comforts big and small that she is grateful for
Full Story
CEILINGSBreak Up a Bland Ceiling the Modern Way
Banish a boring drywall ceiling by using these techniques to create architectural interest
Full Story
COLORBreaking the Rules: Brighten Up Without Relying on White
White doesn’t always perk up a dimly lit space. Instead, choose a color that radiates warmth
Full Story
SHELTERING AT HOME15 Essentials for the Baker’s Kitchen
You can turn out delicious home-baked goods with ease when you own these utensils, tools and pans
Full Story
Jasdip