SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Fresh Start: plants that bring you joy

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

(I hope people don't think I'm presumptuous but I'm starting a fresh thread on a previously popular topic. My suggestion is to start to post to this, and leave the original one alone, so it will quickly drop off the page.)
I am no longer a big daylily fan, but "Chicago Apache" is such a rich color, heavy blooming and its foliage stays decent looking for much longer than most daylilies. The form and color make me happy.
I had a big empty spot next to "All Gold" haknone grass. I put a beautiful clump of sedum "Autumn Joy" there and was reminded again why this plant is a classic. Maybe it will be replaced by Autumn Charm, but its form and vigor when well grown is unmatched. Same for Matrona, which would be a great contrast with the gold grass; however I didn't have a spare one foot clump hanging around to transplant.
If I went to the garden I know I'd come up with others. Isn't it interesting how often the tried and true rises to the top? If something is beautiful but only hangs around a season or two, the joy it brings me is diminished. Sort of like loyal people you love: part of their beauty is that they keep showing up.And everytime they do, their beauty and the happiness they bring you is clear.
Marie

Comments (27)