SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawjedi

If I wait for perfection, it'll never occur: 2 Toned Kitchen Reveal

lawjedi
8 years ago

I think I began planning this kitchen remodel before we moved to the house. In 2008. Life happened and the kitchen kept falling down the list. The original kitchen was falling apart, my appliances were finicky and the dishwasher was held together with zip ties. Over the years, my dh made a few, "can't wait" changes for me including swapping out a very shallow double sink for a large basin and new faucet and replacing the broken, unsanitary missing tile counters for formica. The best change was definitely when we knocked out a half wall and rebuilt it a bit more into the family room, gaining us both more space and a built-in banquette.

If you've been around Gardenweb for a few years, you might remember when I decided to build a cardboard island to experience a 2 tiered island before truly committing. Apparently I am secretly MacGyver, that cardboard island stayed up for nearly a year before we tore it down for the remodel. ;-) (I forgot... I also painted the cabinets to see if I liked 2 toned kitchens... I did!)

So... details:

Ultracraft upper cabinets (had the perfect color that I wanted) and Omega lower stained cabinets. Pecan wood (basically hickory). I LOVE them. The wood is so strong, and the variation in color, in my opinion is gorgeous.

"Wood" tile flooring - from Home Depot.

Subway tile - I think they were the allen & roth line at Lowes. It was pretty hectic at that point.

Appliances - Bosch Benchmark dbl ovens and induction cooktop, Bosch (800?) dw, Best hood. reused microwave and refrigerator.

Stages 45 sink and Karbon faucet

counters: leathered absolute black and white spring (island)

My brother and his crew did most of the work. I had dh make a few of the trim pieces that either weren't avail through the cabinetry or I wasn't interested in paying the unbelievable prices for them.

Structural changes made: widened entrance to dining room. It only ended up 5 inches wider -- there was an unexpected pipe on one side and we decided not to spend the extra money to move it. We also made the kitchen window much larger. I waffled back and forth so many times whether I wanted to make it a bay window or just regular. I finally did a last minute decision to splurge with the bay. My favorite splurge decision by a landslide.

(My brother on the left, dh on the right)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but it's time for pretty pictures!

during construction - nice pic of island granite

dh & I made a stained bead board backsplash for this side of the kitchen.

We also made the corbels and there is bead board between the corbels. (subway backsplash every where else)

Instead of a half wall holding up the second tier, we have a mini cabinet. It actually is useful to me too!

(wraps, bbq tools, and a big, big cutting board)

I think I've run out of space for pics... to continue post...

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations