SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

2-Toned Kitchens - Trendy? Too much for small spaces?

steph2000
11 years ago

As I continue to scour the net and vacillate between inspiration and confusion, I keep getting drawn back to the look of 2 toned kitchens. I am most likely going to end up with a galley or U-shaped kitchen open to the DR and the front door/entry room. So, an island is likely not in my future. However, I see these kitchens occasionally that have darker lower cabinets and white uppers. I currently have a white kitchen and have loved it. I am still leaning towards a white kitchen with the remodel, but I do see some things to recommend the 2-toned look.

The dark lowers seems to ground the kitchen and not make the uppers look top heavy. It also seems like it would be easier to clean and disguise dirt if the lowers were dark wood. It could be a compromise point for my partner and I as he really wanted stained and I wanted white paint.

I tend to like it most when the counters are light/white. I suppose one has to be careful with the counter/backsplash applications with these kitchens?

In any case, I'm fishing for conversation and my bait is eye candy.

These first are IKEA kitchens:

(Notice the crazy/creative way that upper over the peninsula was wrapped around that beam via the crown)

Here's Bossanova's black and white carriage kitchen:

And a prior GW thread on this topic for more eye candy:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0623550010553.html

Here is a link that might be useful: And a prior GW thread on this topic for more eye candy:

Comments (25)