SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_384

Need help deciding between layouts

Kate S
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi there, happy Thanksgiving! We are in the beginning stages of a kitchen remodel and having a very hard time deciding on an appropriate layout. We are working with a kitchen designer who has provided us with 3 options, shown below - I would love your input on which you think would work best (or if there’s another option we should consider).

About our family: we are a couple with a toddler, and hope to have another child within the next couple of years. We just bought this house and plan to stay here for ~10 years. I do most of the cooking, but I’m not particularly enthusiastic about it - it’s just something that needs to be done to get food on the table. There is typically only one of us cooking at any one time (though often with a toddler hanging off our ankles). We don’t do a ton of entertaining and when we do it is typically smaller groups of 2-4 people. We don’t bake.

About the current kitchen: it’s a disaster! Some previous owner with a passion for DIY went rogue on this place probably about 20 years ago, and the result is what you see below. The cabinets were definitely not made by a professional - they are just plain wood boxes. The doors and drawers all stick horribly. The counters are made of backsplash tile. There is no counter space because the top cabinets are not set back at all from the bottom cabinets. The “island” is at a bizarre angle . There is no ventilation for the cooktop. The wall oven, I believe, is original from when the house was built in 1960. There is a large opening in the wall (seen on the left below) where the previous owner had their washer and dryer. There are way too many lights in the ceiling, each controlled by a different switch. I could go on!

First-floor floor plan: (note the room marked “family room” on the plan is used by us as a playroom for now.)

Our priorities for the new kitchen: More storage. Updated appliances with proper ventilation. Make use of the gaping hole where the washer/dryer used to be. I prefer that when I’m standing at the prep space, I’m facing the dining room head-on (rather than at a 90 degree angle). I like the location of the sink where it is now, under the window. I would prefer not to have a sink or cooktop on the island/peninsula - I’d like an uninterrupted expanse of countertop. I’d like counter-height seating for a minimum of 3 people. And of course I'd like a better-looking kitchen :)

Potential layout option 1:

Potential layout option 2:

Potential layout option 3:

I would really welcome any thoughts or comments you might have! In case the photos above don't work, they can all be viewed here.

Comments (25)