SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annaw_123

Practicalities of Butcher Block Countertops?

annaw_123
8 years ago

Our kitchen has pretty ugly 1990's formica but we're not ready to do a total kitchen remodel at this time. I think we are probably going to upgrade to a new house in about 2 years so I don't think it's worth investing too much in a kitchen upgrade.
So we had decided to paint the cabinets and install Ikea butcher block countertops so it would not be so ugly. I know the limitations of butcherblock but I'm not going to invest in expensive stone countertops on top of old cabinets when I won't recoup the investment when we sell.
We have a nice dishwasher so do not need to handwash most of our dishes but I always handwash pots and pans. I usually set them on the countertops with one of those drying mats underneath them. I assume that won't be safe with butcherblock countertops, even if we use the waterproofing stuff. Where do those of you with butcherblock countertops put your dishes to dry? We're going to get a new sink which will probably be 60/40 so perhaps I could dry dishes in one side? It's funny because we all need to dry dishes but it's almost impossible to find pictures online of kitchens with dishes drying. :)
We have formica now so I never put hot dishes on the countertops and in fact never did that in the old house which had granite so I don't think we'll miss that. We always use a cutting board.
Are there any other little day to things in a kitchen that will be different with butcherblock that I'm not considering?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH