SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iv_nencheva

Retro Kitchen Refresh - ideas needed!

Eva N
2 years ago

Hi!

This is my second post on this topic . Last summer I had a post as we were thinking through changing the layout and full kitchen overhaul of the current space. Now, 9 months, 3 kitchen designers and quotes later (all around $60k), we have decided to not do a full kitchen renovation (here is the link to the other discussion - thank you all so much for the input there!).

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5940772/old-house-dysfunctional-kitchen-layout-help

The yellow tile has grown on us and so has the retro charm of the kitchen. We are looking to hire a handy man, spend a more modest amount, keep the current layout and try to make it a little more functional and better looking - update stove, new sink, new countertops, new light fixtures, replace windows, add possibly matching yellow tile as backsplash to the white cabinet (butler's pantry space). That is as far as we have come.

I would love your suggestions on what small-ish things we can do (paint cabinets?, countertop - soapstone vs white quartz?, replace the back door with a slider?) that would help make the kitchen more airy and functional 9what will be the biggest bang for our buck to achieve that?)

One last item - having an eat in space in the kitchen really helps with the flow of our house. Debating whether it is worth doing some sort of built in bench over the radiator that also doubles as a breakfast nook in that corner. That will probably end up ~$4k, so not sure if worth it...

I am hoping some of the contributors here with an eye for design and love of the retro kitchens can help with some of these.

Thank you!

Comments (53)

• Julie Schmooley
    2 years ago

Oh and I’d paint the basement door white if you paint the kitchen white!

• Julie Schmooley
    2 years ago

Now looking again if the walls are paint you could trim the windows and doors black it might help tie in the black tile in the yellow. But if you go this route definitely do a white quartz countertop

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Refresh Layout advice needed!

Q

Comments (9)
    I figured that thing moved. I can say your kitchen is unique! I don't care for sketch up, but there are tutorials on how to see a floorplan view. If you really can't go that far, maybe rearrange the ref wall - its not that bad - just move cabinets. Do pantry, range, double cabs from end of run, ref, single cabs. At least you'll get some counter space to one side. Or replace just the single cabs with a drywall broom closet or small amount of open storage. Or Junk Lockers. I would probably try to replace the over the ref cab with a full depth cab and re-hang the doors from the old over the ref cabinet on the new cabinet. I can't tell how hard that would be without seeing the mouldings on that side. All together, nothing a competent carpenter can't do in a couple of days. What doesn't make sense about prep sink in island, but can't be addressed (at this time :) is that your cooking zone is in a major hallway. If the moving bar is staying, it would be difficult to enlarge the island- altho you can still replace the open chrome stuff with cabinets. That makes a mighty small surface for a sink. Also, if you entertain a lot, it might be difficult - but really just a little bit more so, since duffers will tend to use your island sink for bar service! The prep sink makes sense in the respect of giving you a better function work zone. It will be easier to use the kitchen for everyday cooking. If the bar is staying, but you re-arrange the ref wall cabinets - you'll have some counterspace by the side of the range and another possible location for the prep sink. I'd consider it - you won't have to tote full pots back and forth across the hall - just veg! During the next couple of weeks, notice who is the family is using the micro and where whatever came from. We have this theory that the ref and mw have a close and intimate relationship. See if it would make more sense elsewhere. Where it is might encourage more trips through your work area.
    ...See More

Kitchen Refresh BM-Gray Owl painted cabinets bad idea?

Q

Comments (15)
    First, thank you all for the feedback this is why I wanted more opinions. I have more pictures but can't seem to upload more than one at a time. It is nice to hear that at least the cabinets look good from afar. They are not solid cherry if they were solid cherry fronts, I agree I would not be so quick to paint them, they are just a cherry veneer. I included a close up of the cabinets to give you an idea they aren't in great shape. Bee - your kitchen is amazing! thanks for the thoughts. I never noticed the orangey floors but you are right they do look that way and now that I am looking at it, it is overcast from the cabinets. Good idea of painting up a couple of boards, I have little swatches taped all over the space because we get a lot of sun movement in the space throughout the day. The table is 108 inches long, I am drooling over James Moder florale chandelier but need two of them. I don't think I could get DH to agree to three! LOL. A couple of responders noticed the island, the island is a just big box, open box deal, I don't think we paid $300 bucks for it, its a dark stain. Not worth refinishing. I would love to replace the counters, but with the sq ft we need it would be double that of a professional painting the cabinets, and I am really afraid that they would just look worse!
    ...See More

Help! kitchen furniture refresh needed

Q

Comments (23)
    How about a saarinen oval table with eiffel chairs , no rug and some fun colored adjustable barstools like bombo and then some art like mentioned above . Iwould be a complete turn around from waht you have and IMO would be great.BTW when you have the money switch out that fridge for a counter depth one , you will lose 10% storage and gain a much better looking kitchen
    ...See More

Kitchen Refresh. Need 'outside the box' ideas!

Q

Comments (12)
    Well it feels like my kitchen remodel took forever but since my post above was 2 months ago that's not so bad. So, update because I love before & afters: Although I considered reconfiguring the island shape and removing/replacing the bead board after the comments above; now that we are finished I'm happy with the results. (And honestly I didn't want to deal w/ the floors if I changed the island & I am choosing to ignore the bead board which I still do not like). Removing the hood, rebuilding it & wrapping it in statuary marble was quite a costly endeavor but getting rid of that bulky hood & exchanging all the brown for arctic white quartz really lightened the room. We are loving our Hellman range though there is a learning curve! Other updates include new hardware, new blanco sink, added a pot filler & new faucet.
    ...See More
  • Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions!

On the tile - I was thinking if we go with a sliding door (for more light), we could save some of the tile and use for a backsplash. Otherwise I was planning on scouring the internet for tile....But you are right that it may be very hard to match.

I agree the fridge is too big, we are considering getting a smaller one. I do not want to crowd the stove more, I need every single square inch of that space for cooking - it is already not enough. The distance from the arch to the dining room door is about 27 inches so not sure a fridge would fit there....

Paint - yes, we are willing to paint - walls, cabinets, ceilings. We were already thinking about neutral white for the cabinets. The reason the walls are green is that the tile border has small green diamonds among the black so I think the intention was to tie it with the yellow (we bought it that way). But we can def do white on the walls.

Refinishing the floors is also something we need to do, they are showing some discoloration in certain parts so that is in the cards too.

On the radiator - where would we move it to?

• Julie Schmooley
    2 years ago

I think painting is going to be huge! White cabinets and white walls! I found this retro fridge on home depot(cheaper than popular smeg brand) however it is a lot smaller than what you currently have. I don’t know how big of a family home you have but this could be a way to get a smaller fridge in the space, if you have a garage you could always have a second fridge in there or freezer! I like the idea of a black fridge to match appliances and maybe black trim on the windows. Hardware is an easy swap! I don’t know what would be more authentic, you could do painted wooden knobs to just match the cabinets. I think finding yellow will be very very hard! Just to warn lol

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

I would go white on all the cabinets and appliances. If you have the budget look for the retro look appliances. Would you be willing to give up some of the butler's pantry to make room for a counter depth fridge? You could also add a narrow vintage worktable to tie the sink and stove work areas together.

They still make the laminate countertops with the chrome trim. That could be very cool.

If you're not opposed to wallpaper, doing the alcove area could tie everything else together.

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. We will look into retro look appliances.
    I am not sure we will have enough space in the butler’s area for a fridge, but it’s an interesting idea.
    We def need some form of freestanding workspace in addition to what we have. Just need to nail down the fridge location and the possible “nook” to determine that.
    Would the space to the right of the door be enough for a built in nook? I am thinking possibly without chairs, it could work.

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

Banquet seating is making a big comeback. I like the nook idea but with the radiator you may not have the space. I have 4 ft radiator in my kitchen under double windows. I feel the loss of space but I wouldn't heat any other way!

If you did a banquet similar to the picture below you can get seating for 4. I would do 48" bench and 36" round table.

My house is a 1910 kit bungalow and I am do a complete kitchen reno. So hard to keep the character and make it function. I am making my contractor keep all the molding and reuse it. He wanted to duplicate it but, I told him you can't duplicate old growth wood.

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. Thankfully the radiator is 18” tall so we could, potentially, do a cover/bench over it & extend it on the door wall. I like your idea as well because we don’t have to have custom radiator covers done and can just get a bench and a table :) additionally that radiator cover/bench combo would run right below a window which is probably not ideal
    Still the fridge is where it is...

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

I’m not a pro, but I AM a big fan of scouring the internet (eBay,Craigslist, Etsy, retro restoration sites) for more yellow tile and other vintage touches, before changing your gorgeous vintage kitchen for a contemporary white cabinets/ white quartz countertop/ white backsplash look. IMHO that seems a little bland and sad to me, when you have such great unique bones here.
    To each his own, however-I do think white kitchens are often really beautiful; you should do whatever makes your heart sing.
    I’d do soapstone countertops, try to keep that tile, a vintage nook for dining if you can, vintage look refrigerator, and if you replace the flooring, think about Marmoleum. Maybe a vintage stove, if you can.
    Have fun with your one-of-a-kind vintage kitchen! You’re so lucky to have it!

• decordummy_gw
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think I would paint the wood cupboards a green that is similar to what is currently on the walls, paint the upper walls (currently green) to a warm white or cream, and replace the counters with a soap stone look (or other black-ish counter).

Edited - literally 2 minutes after I posted above, I saw a pic from Theresen that is similar to what I envisioned. Theresen's pic is in response to this post Black matte/suede/honed countertops (houzz.com)

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Ok - I’ve read all suggestions so far & studied your drawing. FWIW these are my impressions & thoughts. First - I love the vintage tile & pretty floors! Please keep those floors!

1. fridge - can’t tell how large it is but looks big. I Like the stainless to match all other appliances & wouldn’t spend $$$ to change out & get retro. Can you do a counter depth fridge though for smaller footprint? Mine is 27” deep including door.

2. Back door - I’d paint it white..

3. radiator - wouldn’t cover as will block heat

4. what is that in window - an AC unit?

5. eating table - I like @Sherry Brighton idea of the bench, round table & 2 or even 3 chairs. Don’t know how big your current table is but turn it around & see if it works with bench against wall & chairs facing wall.

6. why are the pans hanging on wall across from stove? Can you move over to where the spices? are? Can you hide the spices?

7. work table - yes, you need one as @Sherry Brighton said & looks like you have the space for it. I’m thinking black turned legs, butcher block top & you might be able to go to 4’ long. Maybe the pans can go in the cupboard or shelves below top of this island. You might find one on wheels if needed.

8. Cabinets - the new ones & granite ? tops are jarring With the vintage tile & cabinets. Can you paint them white & a black countertop might be nice. I‘d leave the white ones as they are along with their white tops but try for matching hardware on both sets.

9. Curtains- I’m not a fan of the frilly white ones. Can they just come down & see how it looks with the blinds only? Or, get a fabric valance for color, something with black & yellow to tie in with tile.

10. basement door - hate to paint nice old wooden doors but it might be better as white too.

11. Wall color - not bad & if you change colors on dark cabinets & back door, it might be just right!

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for the input!

First things first, these pictures are from when we bought the house (literally the house listing); since then we have removed the hanging pots and pans (currently stored on both sides of the range), the curtains & the old air conditioner. Nothing on the windows right now. I think I will keep it that way to get more light in.

Haven‘t changed much else (paint on wall is still pale green with grey undertones, a little less vibrant than what it used to be) and since my kitchen is rarely in a neat condition figured it would be safer to use the old pics:)

Now, onto your comments:

We are definitely keeping the tile and the floors (just refinishing since they are showing signs from our abuse).

I have spent countless hours online googling yellow tile, retro kitchen and any combo of that. Inspiration for a breakfast nook came from this renovation

https://www.cottagesandbungalowsmag.com/design-ideas/vintage-restoration/

I would love a custom made nook, but we need to figure out what the right configuration is (Obviously price also plays into it). Since we only have 52 inches to the door molding, it May get tight for the bench/chairs opposite the one along the wall. We will have to try it out/mock it up (If we walk towards the door and open it to go out, would it feel cramped if the bench/chairs are almost in the way? )

Regarding covering up the radiator and blocking it, what if we had a bench that was “open” or the bench has a mesh front just like the current radiator cover? Do you think that would still block the heat?

Back door - do you think if we did slider with panels mimicking a French door that would look out of place? Desperately want to bring more light in the kitchen. Thinking if we enlarge the back door opening we may be able to reuse the tile for above the range and/or the “butler’s pantry” area.

Regarding the fridge - it Really is too big and we actually have a second fridge in the basement so we can really reduce the footprint. I would love to move the fridge by the stove (on the other side of the arch) & free up that wall for a nice hutch, but that space is only 27 inches. I could fit a Smeg or Big Chill (24” wide) there, but our current fridge has a combined 28 cu ft of space with the freezer (family of 4, who love to eat AND cook); going down to 11 cu ft might be pushing it, even if we have a second fridge. I am afraid without more extensive work we may be stuck with the fridge on that wall. We may go for GE cafe appliances - stove, hood and fridge - counter depth if there’s a good sale around Memorial Day weekend (need to replace the stove anyway, knobs are rigged by my husband to extend its life and only 3 of the 5 burners work).

Thinking about trying life without microwave (maybe keep one in the basement next to the second fridge). Are we crazy?

About working table - we absolutely want to buy a beautiful movable piece (table rather than island) once we figure out the rest. Willing to spend some on that to make sure it improves not just the looks but also the functionality. We just hosted a 7 adults Easter dinner and were able to do it without feeling super cramped but a work table would help so much! I like the idea of butcher block to tie back to the wood floor.

On countertop, since we have so little counter space (ha!), I think we can “splurge” for soapstone. Need a big farm type sink as well to fit a half sheet in.

Cabinets - I think we want to paint them all. One concern I have is that the “new” cabinets are JSI, which is not a great brand from what I read. Hoping that doors can be removed and reattached, cabinets taken down from the wall where needed without falling apart.

Cabinet color - I did not think of any other color but white for the cabinets. The idea of having green-ish lowers Or uppers is interesting. You can’t see it in the picture but the yellow tile border has tiny green diamonds in it. White however may be a safer choice. Very Interesting suggestion on the cabinet color, thank you for making it.

Thank you everyone again for your input, this has been quite helpful to me starting from last summer through now. I can’t believe I once hated the tile ;)

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Ok so rethinking after your updates on what space looks like now. I do think a slider with a French door look would be great. Maybe the opening could be on stove side to free up space or make it less congested on the table side. I looked at the link you gave for the nook idea & it just might work. I see the radiator has a cover on it now so maybe if that comes off, the footprint of radiator is smaller. That point along with the French door opening at other side should give you more room to work with. I looked at the sage green cabinets & I now agree with @decordummy_gw on color scheme she proposed! Sagey green cabs with creamy white walls. Fabulous with your floors & the tile! I’m confused about where you’re thinking on placing a smaller frig - other side of arch on stove side looks like dining room entry. But, if you’re getting a new stove, think about one without that tall back so you can see the entire wall/ backsplash of tiles. Microwave - not very convenient down in the basement so probably won’t be used. Can you put it on long counter of original cabinets or, better, sacrifice part of the upper cabinet door on end closest to kitchen to retrofit a shelf for it? You’d have to do electrical for a plug in behind it but you don’t need a huge microwave do you?

• Jennifer Havin
    2 years ago

what's the door to the left of the stove wall? I think you should be thinking about using the cabinet wall for the fridge and your appliances would that work?

Sunny Yellow Retro Kitchen · More Info

white cabinets, white sink, black hardware, paint

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Door opening to the left of the stove (other side of the arch)is to the dining room. There are 27 inches from the arch to the opening of the dining room that is currently covered by what I believe is an old ironing board closet.
    There was a suggestion to put the fridge there, which would mean 24inch wide fridge. Almost impossible given that we are a family of 4. The cabinet wall that has the “butler’s pantry” can’t handle the fridge because that would block the walkway or the half bath entrance.
    I think we are stuck with keeping the fridge in the basement entry wall but may think about a smaller model.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    2 years ago

Would it be possible to recess the fridge into the wall where the butler's pantry is now? If the dining room is large enough to lose a couple of feet you could perhaps disguise the bump of the fridge recess with built-ins, bookshelves, etc.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

I love your tile and I think you are making a good decision to keep it. A sliding door would not look right to my eye in the vintage kitchen. If you need more light, you could switch the current door to one with 3/4 glass and it would keep the look more consistent with the vintage tile. If you need more light, consider adding under cabinet lighting and possibly adding some small LED recessed lights over the countertops. It won't cost any more money to put in the lighting instead of a different door and then you can have light in the evening and night time as well. You also might be able to add brighter bulbs to your existing fixture

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The good news:
    Our dining room is very large compared to the size of the house and kitchen. So there’s space on the other side of the wall.
    The not so good:
    Not only do we need to recess the fridge to be flush with the cabinets, we would also have to move actual cabinets to essentially widen the hallway. We currently have 30 inch or so wide hallway, I think we’d need more than that for a fridge to comfortably open, close, stick etc.

2 years ago

Yes, 30" is too narrow to open the fridge, but if you place it next to (or very close to) the door to the DR it looks like it would open into the room rather than the hallway. You might have to lose one cabinet on the end of you butler's pantry run, but it might be something to think about.

Also, I know that you are planning something less than a full remodel at this point (and no idea if it is possible structurally), but have you considered removing basically everything on the sink wall and doing an island with sink and DW instead? The layout you have now would frustrate me greatly, having to cross the entire room diagonally to go between sink and range.

• Lisa T
    2 years ago

Not a pro, but here's my thoughts.

I understand why, but I'd go for a Dutch door over a slider.

I'd move the fridge to the right of the back door, facing your sink area. I know there's a window there and hopefully the fridge isn't so wide or deep it covers the window much.
    I also like the suggestion of putting a fridge in the pantry area with a counter depth fridge.

My table would be in the middle of the room. Narrower than most and able to double as work space.

I'm a sucker for retro so I'm loving your dilemna. Can't wait to see how this ends up.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

Latch Tile in San Francisco may be able to help you match your vintage yellow tile. I have not used them, but a friend of mine did, and apparently that’s their specialty.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

I suggest “Bungalow Kitchens” by Jane Powell for lotus of great ideas for this era. Also, the Retro Renovation website has kitchens as well, such as this one https://retrorenovation.com/2015/08/11/yellow-tile-1940s-kitchen/.
    Love the vintage tile and arch! Such a treasure. I would suggest new cabinet door fronts in a shaker style and paint the cabinets white. Inset doors are period correct, but overlay doors added on would be so much more affordable and leek just fine. Use bin pulls or basic round knobs in either chrome or black. Linoleum or Formica countertops are an afordable option that would fit great. You can tile the countertops as well, but I had that in my bungalow and did not really like it for practical reasons. Butcher block countertops also look great, but I do not know about the upkeep.
    We just bought the apartment size Chambers fridge, it is pretty great. You can replace the large fridge with a black or champagne one.
    Instead of an L shaped banquette, a bench on one side with a rectangle table provides more seating. Bench on wall side, chairs opposite. There are lots of cute pictures of built in banquettes, but no one ever sitting at them. Round tables are hard to sit at on a bench.
    Signed, serial bungalow dweller.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

Oh and yes to the Dutch door! One of my houses had that and I loved it.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

Oh! And we redid our bungalow bathroom with Skyline tile from here. https://www.bwtile.com.

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, I saw the B&W tile website, I will contact them to see what options I have on the tile. I did not know about latch tile place, thank you for mentioning that option as well.

Zerzurax - The Chambers fridge - how many people in the household do you have? Is that your only fridge? How do you like it so far? Preliminary research for me says that some of the retro type refrigerators (excl. Big Chill possibly) are not as reliable as you would think given the price point. But significant concerns is obviously the space.

May I ask - what is the practical use of a dutch door? I looked up a few, they do not seem to provide more light than the current door, but wondering if there are any functionality reasons I should consider. My house is dutch colonial so the "dutch" in dutch door has me intrigued :)

The table in the middle of the floor (it would have to be counter height table right?)...We tried that with the kitchen designers, you just can't have an island type space with seating in the middle of the kitchen. We are a foot or two too narrow with the current set up. But this is something we can also trial since it is not too hard to move a table. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Lisa T
    2 years ago

Eva N,

I suggested Dutch door because that is a door true to the time of your kitchen. i suggested it for the looks only option. 😊 Open the upper half of the door and you'll get lots of light. ;)

Gotcha on the table. That's too bad.

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Biondanonima,

I have not considered removing that side of the kitchen and doing an island in any of the designs. It was always used for something, fridge, sink.
    Removing a wall of cabinets and putting in an island is not something I want to take on especially because of plumbing and the expense of new cabinets, islands.
    Also I realized (after starting to pay attention) that our kitchen flow is heavy with the back door. So anything we have there needs to be easily maneuverable, which a narrow table/island/workspace fits depending on how we do it.
    I am thinking about the green cabinets. I can’t decide if the yellow tile and greenish cabinets (wall color) + white walls would go. I totally see the green complementing the time period.

• Isaac
    2 years ago

We have a Dutch door and I can't wait to get rid of it - it is impossible to weather seal, and we never open the top half. In a different climate or somewhere mosquitoes weren't an issue, it might work better.

2 years ago

@Eva N Definitely understand - moving the plumbing, etc. is a lot of work. Given your current layout, maybe a table with (locking) wheels would come in handy - you could leave it over in the corner where the radiator is when not in use, then easily pull/push it over to the sink/range areas depending upon where you're working at any given moment.

BTW I love the idea of green cabinets with your yellow tile, though definitely a different green than what you have now. Maybe something like SW Gallery Green, Haven, Lounge Green, etc.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

With your cute windows in your door, you are right. A Dutch door is for light and to leave the top open for connection to the outside (I am in California). It would also not work there because to leave it open you would block your cabinets.
    Our Chambers is the smaller short size (56”) and we got it for a second fridge. It would not be big enough for a main fridge for even just a couple who eat at home all the time. I think it is really nice for the price point, but this size is pretty basic - they make a larger one. I found the Northstar/Elmira counter depth 20cu model too late for our remodel. I read that these are made with Whirlpool fridges? https://www.elmirastoveworks.com/northstar/refrigerators/models/model-1958-1959/ Smeg is also making a larger fridge now. Yes, they are priced more than standard fridges, you are paying for the enamel, the style, and the finished sides. With your fridge freestanding and prominent, that may be worth it. I have a GE Cafe Matte white fridge and see that they do offer side panels, otherwise the sides are unfinished and black. I like the fridge a lot except it does not make a lot of ice.
    Clay Squared tile is the retail distributor for B&W. If you need help with amounts, samples, and figuring out trim; that is the place to go. B&W is the manufacturer and you need to know exactly what to order. https://shop.claysquared.com/mid-century-tile-colors-c10.aspx
    I would suggest you paint the walls and perhaps the trim a very light cream such as in Jennifer’s post above. White might look harsh with the yellow tile. And painting the basement door the wall color, not white would help blend it into the space better. I suggest Benjamin Moore’s Affinity Collection for really nice colors that look good in older homes.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

I had a freestanding boos butcher block counter height table in one small kitchen to increase work space and it was great. You do not have to store a separate chopping board. Rejuvenation has several versions including ones with shelves or on castors. All our cabinet hardware is from Rejuvenation.
    I had the exact cabinets you have in your pantry area in one house. The counter was actually nice wood under the paint. We stripped it and resealed it and it looked great.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

Edited to add, I like the green paint with the yellow actually. I used Green Earth through several spaces in my current house and Parrot Green for the window trim in my kitchen with cream walls and trim.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

...for the walls. Green for the walls. I would still do the cabinets in vintage white. But mock it up in photo shop!

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

Yeah, taking out that wall really would be the best. Make it into a matching arch and it will look stunning. And then you should get new cabinets and countertops. You can keep all the tile. You’ll have to patch the wood floor (that is doable). But really, it might not be hugely more expensive than repainting and refacing cabinets, and you will end up with a better layout and more cohesive kitchen.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

It is possible to replace your radiator with a smaller, low profile one. There are modern, low profile radiators that would fit easily under a banquette. There are threads on Houzz that discuss this process. You might even be able to find a smaller vintage radiator that would fit the space and be less problematic to build around. Check with a local heating and cooling expert in your area who knows about radiators...and with local salvage stores that sell used, vintage radiators. Good luck!

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone again. Things may change but I don’t think right now we are willing to make structural changes and new cabinets etc (that kind of defeats scratching up the 60k expense tag).
    Since you mentioned paint color, we currently have Behr Sandstone Cliff which looks green in our space (go figure). I think it complements the green tile, so I may keep it for the wall or cabinets.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

Color is so funny! I understand you with the no to moving walls. So in an effort to not overspend on refacing the cabinets...
    I found this photo of cabinets with a detail on the doors much like yours painted green with yellow tile, although not black in it. If you changed only the dark wood drawer fronts to a flat style with rounded edge to match your vintage ones, and paint them all, it may tie them all together. Are the insides of the cabinets dark wood? You could take off the doors of the two uppers next to the sink and next to the table. If not dark wood, then paint the insides as well, although maybe a really dark color as in the photo. You could also take those two uppers off and add open shelves by the sink to lighten the look.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

The lower back of the range does look much better there, since you mentioned getting a new range.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

Last idea. What about adding a return on the sink wall next to the arch? This would give a bit more prep space. And you could put two benches in to make a nook with the back against the return under the arch. (I’m not sure about your radiator there.) Make sure to get a pedestal table. More photos of a cute kitchen similar to your layout here. This has white cabinets with wood countertops.

https://www.cottagesandbungalowsmag.com/design-ideas/vintage-restoration/

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love love love that kitchen! That was the inspiration for the breakfast nook!
    This looks so neat the way they did it.
    If we are not redoing the cabinets however we may end up with a mismatched countertops between our table/peninsula and the rest of the sink cabinets. If def would not look as neat as these built ins. We will have to figure out how to do something similar on our “beer” budget.

• zerzurax
    2 years ago

A lot of people do stone around a sink with wood countertops anyway. So keep the stone there, and do new wood countertops for the return and around the stove to tie it together. That is a really cute kitchen.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

Is your radiator steam or hot water? I was looking for pictures of my radiator bench and found this one showing the original cupboards and the butcher block counters. That was in my previous house and I also had a tile wall with a fridge against the tile between two doorways. We had the fridge standing there like a soldier for about ten years before we bought a smaller one and then we relocated the microwave to a cart in that spot. We were just used to walking around it. Like your space, there was only a single central fixture for the main area and then one over the sink. When we bought the house, there was a ceiling fan with a one bulb light. We chose that fan because it put out the most light we could find in a fluorescent fixture.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

The important characteristic of a radiator is that it actually only provides a small amount of heat through radiation. The major heat transfer is by convection so radiator cover design is quite important. The cool air flow coming in at the bottom needs an uninterrupted path to the radiator so the front cover can't sit on the floor. Above that, you need a solid front to keep the air flow moving to the top to exit creating the current which pulls in the cool air. You can do a bench if you have sufficient room for air flow at the bottom and above the radiator either underneath the bench top or out the top through a grate.

It is possible to change out radiators but it isn't cheap or easy.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

Try number two for attaching the photo

• Eva N
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lyndee Lee, habit or inertia is a powerful thing.
    We have had this house for 6 years now and have made zero changes to the kitchen space. Our old fridge died a few years ago and we just bought the same size/look one because that was the easiest thing :)
    So our soldier fridge is still standing.
    Thank you for the background on radiator covers. We will have to carefully think through what we are doing in that corner.

• Ellie G
    2 years ago

@Eva N, what gorgeous yellow tile! So great you've decided to keep it. If you're still debating countertops, I'd personally go for white rather than soapstone in that space. It will keep with the brightness of the tile. Another option, which you may have seen on retrorenovations (I think people recommended that site on your original thread), would be to use white 4x4 square tile on the countertop, with black v-cap or box-cap edging. Tile countertops are making a comeback, they're cheaper than stone, and super durable, and would be true to the period of your kitchen. You can get inexpensive white field tile from Lowes/HD and then get the more specialized edging tiles from someplace else. For my 1920s kitchen, I found reasonably priced v- and box-cap trim tiles from B&W and Daltile (their Color Wheel and Semi-Glass & Matte collections are great for retro kitchens). Modern grouts are much more stain resistant and easier to keep clean than before, so I'm much less worried about the grout lines getting grimy.

As for cabinets, repainting in all the same color would go a long way to covering up any mismatches in the style of the doors. Another option would be to decide which style you like better and replace the other doors/drawer faces with matching ones. (Personally, I love the white flat-front ones in your butler's pantry! They're what I'm putting in my retro 1920s kitchen.)

• J D
    2 years ago

I haven’t read through all the comments but I wanted to say that backsplash is soooo awesome. I would never change it even if I change everything else. Gorgeous :)

• Cal Antha
    2 years ago

So much charm in the tile and the arch! So much awkwardness to the layout!

Something to consider for the countertops would be Marmoleum. It's period accurate, and quite a practical surface. For inspiration check out "Dream Kitchens for 1941" on this page:

From Hazel Dell Brown & Armstrong Cork Co. - 12 online catalogs from 1929-1951 - Retro Renovation

Or, probably less expensive, a vintage-style laminate like one of the Wilsonart "Cracked Ice" colors.

Thinking outside the box, would it be possible to change the window next to the radiator into a door, and use the wall where the back door is to make an L shape?

Adding more color inspiration from the period.

Classic colors for a 1940s kitchen: Ming Green, Ivoire de Medici, T'ang Red, and White - Retro Renovation

I definitely think a different paint color would brighten it up.

• rockyroad33
    2 years ago

Haven't read all the comments. I think you should paint the cabinets white. Soapstone or butcher block counters.

I'd get rid of the breakfast table and put in an island, maybe put a couple of stools on one side.

And definitely paint the walls. I do not think the colour you have complements the tile at all.