SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Counting my garden blessings on Thanksgiving Day

Rosefolly
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

First - good clay soil. Many people grumble about clay soil, and pure clay is indeed dreadful to work. However, a good clay soil like mine is highly fertile, holds water but still drains, and hangs on to nutrients.

Second - rain. Yes, I would like more, and hope to get it. But I'm very glad to get some rain. Many gardeners are much worse off than I am. Rainfall is so clearly superior to irrigation water (for which I am also grateful). Not only do I not have to do any work to get rain, but also it is purer water and the plants do noticeably better with it.

Third - knowledgeable friends who have taught me so much. I love my garden library and would not willingly part with it, but friends have brought me the combined blessings of friendship, encouragement, and knowledge all together. I have made strong friendships through the garden and through Gardenweb that have enriched my life.

Fourth - good health. I'd probably garden through poor health, at least a bit, but being strong and healthy makes it possible to do so much more.

Fifth - family. My family support me exactly to the extent I would wish. They let me do as I please in the garden, then admire the results. I know that some couples garden together but I would not like that. It is a joy to me to have a vision and bring it to life in the world. (Tom is in charge of the vegetable garden, and I try very hard to keep my opinions to myself there.) And if I come to something I cannot manage on my own, Tom cheerfully lends me a hand. I don't ask very often, because my fairness compulsion tells me that if I'm the boss of the rose garden, then I am obligated to do the work they roses entail.

Comments (6)