SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlyjones

Watch out for Holiday "Sales"

curlyjones
8 years ago

I watched a rug for a couple of weeks now and the price increased 30% today at Rugsville. Buyer beware!

Comments (31)

• Rudebekia
    8 years ago

I've been looking for a new washer and dryer and thought I'd wait until Black Friday. I realized that the so called "sales" aren't sales at all. Suspect this is true with many things.

• KATHY
    8 years ago

They think consumers are dumb, but with the way things are going, we are doing our homework more and more and I would say most of us here try to avoid being taken.

• Related Discussions

Pioneer Garden Club Holiday Sale, December 4 & 5, Ocala, Florida

Q

Comments (1)
    I have pals in Ocala, just wish I had known about this in advance! IS ANYONE GOING!??! 1) is there a handout that can be posted here about the rooting technique? 2) any idea on the bulb prices? 3) is anyone willing to pick up some and ship to TX? THANKS, K
    ...See More

Holiday & Tablescape Garage Sale Finds! (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (13)
    OMGosh, Jeanne, you really hit a jackpot....I think you just gave Candy a run for her Bargain Queen title. LOL. At least for one round. So MANY wonderful things that I hardly know where to start. But the big Santa in the first photo really is fabulous. I'd have gladly paid a LOT more for him. The little Elf reading the book is just darling, and perfect for you. But all the elves are cute and the little fairy girl too. I'm so glad Dollbaby now has her very own cloche. You'll have to find her some miniatures to put in it. I have to applaud your restraint, coming home with only two boxes. I shudder to think of the load I'd have bought, and no place to put any of it. The only restraint I have is to NOT GO shopping in the first place. LOL. You did good, Girl. And should be grinning all week over it. hugs, Karen
    ...See More

Holiday Sales

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm sorry I'm just now getting back to this board; I've been really busy since the last time I was here. I noticed that Sears, Best Buy, Lowe's, (Home Depot and HHGregg? I think so) had unbelievably good deals on Black Friday - FL and HE TL w/d sets at half price, basically both for the price of just one. It's hard for me to believe they'll offer better deals than this after Christmas. Makes me think they're trying to clear out inventory right now. It will be interesting to see what their deals are, during the rest of this month.
    ...See More

Holiday movies. I like to watch this one every so often

Q

Comments (13)
    I like White Christmas, Holiday Inn, Little Women with Susan Sarandon, Noel, also with Susan Sarandon.. it's sad but I still like it. So many I like it's hard to choose. I have both Mrs. Miracles because I love Doris Roberts. I did not watch Christmas Shoes or Christmas Blessing this year. I've been watching the funny ones too. Christmas vacation, Christmas with the Kranks, both Home Alones, Elf, Fred Clause. I plan to watch Christmas Carol with G.C. Scott tonight. Salgal, I do like The Family Stone too..thanks for reminding me. Collecting movies Christmas and other) is a hobby for me..I have to many to mention
    ...See More
  • Springroz
    8 years ago

Consumers ARE dumb...sorry. Witness the people camping in front of stores to get a "deal"......running out on Thanksgiving afternoon to get some "deals"....clever marketing to the rampantly materialistic!

• msmeow
    8 years ago

Yes, I saw an ad on TV last night that Old Navy is giving $1,000,000 to one "lucky" person in line waiting to get into one of their stores. Not sure if they are opening today or if that's tomorrow. I don't know about y'all, but there's no way I'm waiting in line to get in any store!

Donna

• Amber
    8 years ago

There are plenty of sales, you just have to be intelligent about it. ;)

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Marshall/TJ Maxx had an ad on tv the other day showing people spending time with family at home, and saying something about how they would all be closed to celebrate. I was so happy, I feel like going over to one of the stores soon even though I don't need anything. I am so against stores putting their profit in front of family and tradition on Thanksgiving (and maybe Christmas next?) that I've been trying over the years that this abhorrent activity has been promoted and is gaining speed to purposely AVOID as much as possible giving my business to such stores. I hope more stores take Marshall's/TJ's lead, and advertise their intention to refrain from engaging in holiday destruction.

• Gooster
    8 years ago

REI is having no Black Friday sale and is closing their doors on Friday, paying their employees, and encouraging everyone to optoutside.

On the other hand, I have no problem waiting in line at Old Navy for a friend or family member that desperately needed a shot at winning the money to pay for medical treatment (yes there are better ways to do it, but hope is everything).

• cawaps
    8 years ago

My brother works for REI and was really happy with that decision--he can spend two days at home for Thanksgiving for the first time in forever.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

auntjen, that's a very specific claim. Source please.

I too am pleased that REI is closed on Friday, which is way cooler than just being closed on Thanksgiving. I remember when everybody (Safeway and Starbucks included) were closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Google is your friend (;-)), but here is one article that explains it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/11/27/dont-buy-a-tv-on-black-friday/3768903/

• handmethathammer
    8 years ago

I typically have done my Black Friday shopping online, as stores often offer free shipping this time of year. Sometimes I wait all year to buy something. For example, my son moved to a queen sized bed and needed a comforter. We moved in June, but I waited until November and bought a Black Friday down comforter for $17. Could it be a lower quality comforter? I don't know. I bought the same one for my older son two years before and it still keeps him comfy and warm and looks good. I can't say the same for the $10 pajamas I bought.

My spouse has worked in retail for 25 years and loves the energy of Black Friday. I love what REI is doing, but I go out shopping on Thanksgiving anyway. It really isn't that crowded (not like Black Friday mornings), and I am not a morning person.

• User
    8 years ago

My Mom and I went to a fabric and craft store once, more than a quarter century ago, before either of us had heard the term "Black Friday". We were there for their 6 am opening. Typically crafters are pleasant as crafting and sewing takes patience. It was a mad house. One woman ran up and grabbed a garland literally out of my hands, yelling at me "I want that". I was so shocked at how rude she was. Mom and I just shook our heads and walked away. We stood in a long line, paid for our stuff, went home and never did "Black Friday" again.

At that time I typically had all my shopping done by the end of October to give me time to hand write 40 some individual letters to put into Christmas cards during the first few weeks of November so they'd be ready to mail after Thanksgiving. This way I could sit back and enjoy the holidays. Now I do 90% of my shopping online. I often stay up all night Christmas Eve reading about Jesus birth in my Bible with Christian Christmas music playing in the background.

Since our children have become adults and harder to buy for, I'm no longer finished shopping so early. I am finished with all but Hubby and our son though.

• User
    8 years ago

One woman ran up and grabbed a garland literally out of my hands, yelling at me "I want that".

Says the toddler. Geez!

Yes the advertising of sales and shopping in general being pushed down our throats this time of years bothers me.

• curlyjones
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Until just about two years ago, the "Black Friday" event seemed pure in its own way. One could venture out if you chose to, or perhaps, even a guy like me could order a couple of ladders online and pick them up at a hectic Big Box store with patience, of course. This past year, the marketing geniuses have bastardized Black Friday by having it all year long, e.g. Black Friday in July, Black Friday prices this week only (and it's August 1st). It was so ridiculously excessive this year and reflective of the IQ of the marketing geniuses behind it all and their obvious opinion of consumers. I applaud REI and others who choose the sanctity of the holiday and reward their dedicated employees with family time....Oh heck..I lost track of time...it's time to go shopping! Not!

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

The curious part is the BigBox stores with the longest lines and most crazed shoppers--now sell all their deals on line, don't run out, and offer free shipping!! WHY would anyone....

The "seconds" or inferior versions of certain brands is NOTHING NEW...tools have had this going on for years. That is why a certain big box store can sell a tool for much less..looks like same same, but if you look at the serial number you see it is not the same. Usual plastic vs metal, less powerful motor etc. BUYER beware!!

• User
    8 years ago

I'm with gramarows. The in-your-face consumerism and marketing makes me physically stressed and NOT want to shop at the places that do it. I make a mental note of the companies that have paid Yahoo to have a "screaming" video advertisement at the top of its home page, and I will not shop at those places because of that one thing. Every time you go on, it's there screaming at you. I really dislike it.

On the other hand, the stores that decided to close on Thanksgiving, to give employees and their customers a real holiday, to be able to indulge in an actual holiday, they I will shop at for that reason.

But so long as there are suckers out there willing to part with their money to buy junk and be the first to have it and sleep on a sidewalk to get it...it's like a drug for some people...those who want their money will continue to "do what works".

• deegw
    8 years ago

sjhockeyfan325, If you are wondering if that awesome deal is a true mark down or a lesser, made for the sale item all you need to do is Google the model number. If it is the manufacturer's regular item you will be able to see reviews, prices at other stores, etc. If it is a made for the sale item you probably will find very little info about it online.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I think everyone who opts out and refuses to buy needs to let the companies know why and since we are all on social media already, post there too.

Mom used to work as service staff on holidays, we needed the money and she usually worked for the same person (singing Davy Davy Crockett king of the wild frontier) But it really made holidays sad as an only child with no relatives in the state. I have worked my share of holidays and so have my sons. Last year was nuts trying to squeeze in a hour to eat between one having just an hour lunch break and the other having to go in for that evening opening. Thankfully neither work for those companies any more.

I have gotten some good deals in the past, but even better in the couple of weeks after the holidays. But I have no need for even cheap junk, so many of the sales seem to just sell the really low end stuff. If you are really broke, it might be something you could use, but so late in the month your money is already gone. And just why would I need to head to Michaels at 4 on Thanksgiving?? I will head to Home Depot today, but not for anything on their ad, but something I forgot to get earlier in the week. I wish Black Friday meant the stores were black and that the new "Shopping Holiday" would come right after Halloween, then maybe we can get back to enjoying Thanksgiving

I plan on buying every present I can at REI and any other opt out company I can

• User
    8 years ago

I'm another who makes a conscious effort to avoid those stores with marketing practices that obviously cross lines and are in our faces constantly.

Usually I don't watch shows I haven't recorded (so I can stream past the ads) but last night I didn't have anything recorded and had Kimmel on. During one of the commercial breaks I got up to get water, went to the restroom and even took the dog out. When I came back the commercials were still going! So just out of curiosity, I scrolled back to where the commercial break started and counted; there were 21 commercials in that one break! 4 of them were from Target! Alright already so your crap is on sale, we get it! The only thing worse is the magnitude of prescription ads on tv now too. It drives me absolutely batty when they start rambling the disclaimers. Really? It's beyond ridiculous!

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I thought Black Friday was bad enough but when stores started opening on Thursday night...UFF DA!! Yes, I'm yelling. When I was a kid, no stores were open on Sundays. Not even grocery stores. People rested, played, worshipped if they chose to, and spent time with their families on Sunday. It was all good. If you ran out of milk because you forgot to get it on Saturday, oh well. Not a tragedy.

As the one who usually hosts Thanksgiving, I admit that I get a bit miffed when guests leave early to get in line for sales on Thursday night or because they need to get up at 3am to get in line. If they had another obligation with other family or friends to head to, I would be fine with them having to leave. I respect that people have other loved ones to visit and encourage that. But to go shop? We seem to live in a culture where quality of life means accumulation of goods instead of creating memories with people we care about. Sad, isn't it?

I do try to support locally-owned stores on Small Business Saturday.

• User
    8 years ago

I don't usually pay close attention to TV commercials but I stopped and watched every time the TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Homegoods ad came on stating that "the only thing people should be wrestling for on Thanksgiving is a drumstick" and they should be "camped out at home spending time with family instead of in a parking lot." I am going to try to support those businesses this holiday season more than I might have because I support the message they're putting out.

Many people who work as sales help in stores do so out of necessity. I think it's absurd to make them work on Thanksgiving. And the irony is people are bolting from family to buy stuff for them to show them they are loved....?? What a sad disconnect from what holidays are meant to be.

• User
    8 years ago

I remember stores closing on Sunday's too. The exception in our area was the grocery store which was open 7 days a week except holiday. And when we lived in the south even though the grocery stores were they weren't (and maybe still aren't, I don't know) allowed to sell liquor. I would be upset too if people left a family gathering on a holiday to go shop.

Amck2 I didn't see those commercials, but have to agree 100%. I also think you nailed it in your last paragraph, there is absolutely a huge disconnect. The only thing I have to add is that I blame it on corporate greed. This is just another area in our lives where investors and corporate greed has ruined this country.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Corporate greed? Who are the people who are out shopping on Thanksgiving - they're not corporations!

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Well, corporate greed is fueling consumer greed....what is that line, if you build it they will come? Now becomes, if you're open (and enticing) they will shop.

• Gooster
    8 years ago

I think the blame lies with all of us -- I'm glad to see the hype dying down and the backlash is growing.

We're not going out shopping today but may hit a few stores for Small Business Saturday. However, I did succumb to some online sales today. I've had some purchases I've been queuing, a birthday gift to buy and the same merchandise is marginally better this weekend (say 5 to 10%) with coupons and rebates. I did grab an Instant Pot from Amazon on some sort of limited time webbuster.

• 4boys2
    8 years ago

Did anyone shop the Houzz Black Friday ?

Note the banner across the top.

• User
    8 years ago

Yep, corporate greed. I don't see any of the "Fat Cat's" up the corporate ladder working on their Thanksgiving, do you? But they don't have any shame or problem making the minimum wage workers do it. And I bet they're the first to see the reports on how sales were. And giving all the folks who haven't had raises in years a chance to save money by shopping the holiday is corporate greed in MY opinion as well. It's the trickle effect and it DEFINITELY starts at the top!

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't doubt there's corporate greed, but I think the consumer is equally to blame. If people didn't buy on Thanksgiving the stores wouldn't be open. No one forced a customer to shop on Thanksgiving.

• akl_vdb
    8 years ago

So I'm in Canada and we are having Black Friday sales here too! We did not have Thanksgiving yesterday (though my dh did watch football all day ). I did some online shopping, and we did have to be out...madhouse.

For us I think part of it is that we keep our money in Canada. The US is 2 hours away, and we do go down once in a while to get our now defunct Target fix and get the cool stuff we don't get up here.

• User
    8 years ago

I had to come back to admit that I went shopping today, but only because Hubby's car stereo stopped working and BB had a great sale on a Bluetooth one. We didn't leave home until well after 4 pm, so though it was still Friday, it wasn't the mad rush of the door buster sales. No long lines, pushing, or "I want that".