SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

The Galley Kitchen - a Defence & an Homage

Carrie B
8 years ago

My Layout:

Galleys are often seen as a last-resort layout. If you’ve got a very small, narrow space, we’re told, your best option might be to do a galley kitchen, but who would actually *want* a galley kitchen? I’ve seen people say on this forum that they specifically *don’t* want a galley kitchen - I’ve never heard the same about a U or an L shaped kitchen.

Here are a few things I really like about the galley layout:

1. No corners! I’ve seen quite a few conversations here over the years on how best to handle the corners. Inevitably, it seems that corners create wasted space & awkward access. In a small space, especially, it’s really nice to maximize convenient, usable storage & counters.

2. The galley is the perfect setup - the perfect frame, if you will - for a focal point at the end. In my case, it’s the hinged patio door. A tall window, a painting, a mural, a fireplace, or a lovely breakfast nook. Even a narrow galley leads the eye straight down to something you’d really want to look at.

3. A wide galley, like mine, can give a feeling of luxurious spaciousness in an otherwise small space. Pretty much everyone who’s seen my kitchen, or seen photos of it, comments on how much bigger it seems. Not all of that is attributable to the layout, but a lot is.

From countertop to countertop, my aisle is 87”, straight across. There was some concern that the counters would be too far from one another - that walking back and forth from the sink to the fridge would be a pain, and any wider than this, it would be. My kitchen is almost square. The sink run is 134”, and, the width, backsplash to backsplash is 135”. (The fridge run is only 92.”)

If I’m walking straight across, it’s 3+ steps. Anyone with longer legs would easily make it in 3 steps, but there’s really no such thing as a half a step (you’re either lifting your leg & moving it, or you’re not, right?) so four steps if you’re going on a diagonal (from pantry to sink, for example) or if you’ve got shorter legs. In a galley this wide, having the sink & range on the same side is optimal.

I also want to make note of the fact that my first floor is an open floor plan. The kitchen door is now the focal point for my entire first floor, so, living room and dining table. One caution I’ve read here about the open floor plan is that there’s no way to hide kitchen mess. Agreed. That’s given me some incentive to keep the kitchen neater, I suppose, though my old kitchen was open, too.

I will say that the big focal point in the back does distract the eye from anything going on in the work areas. So, if I’ve got clutter on the counters, and I’m sitting on the couch, I’m looking at the cats sitting in the door, I’m not really paying attention to the mess that is technically visible. The working part of the kitchen is de-emphasized by having something I really want to look at right in the middle of my line of sight. Plus, at least during the day, assuming I’m not using the kitchen, the kitchen lights will be off, and the natural light from the doors draws the eye.

For small, open floor plan spaces, there’s a good argument to be made that a wide galley kitchen, open to the living space, may be an ideal layout.

Morning from the couch, counter clutter & no lights:

Comments (36)