SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurenmeyerjarvis

New construction kitchen-I HATE it!

laurenmeyerjarvis
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hey everyone! I could really use some advice!

We are finishing building a house and they just installed our counters with our cabinets. I hate the way it has turned out.

I know granite will have variations, and it seems the variation we got has NO Browns in it. We chose the cabinet color and floor tiles based on the brown accents in the granite to pull them out and "warm up" the cool colors.

Also, the paint color is the builders standard color. At the design center it was very neutral tan, but in our house is looks VERY gold/yellow and clashes with the cool colors in the granite.

Backsplash isn't in yet, but I put a picture of the backsplash tiles to be installed

I would love some advice as to how I can salvage this kitchen. I'm open to the idea of painting, however the house is open concept so it would require the living room, kitchen stair case and upstairs loft to be painted also so it's a big job!

Most DIY projects are also out because I'm pregnant. The house has taken an extended amount of time to build (11 months!!) so I won't be up to doing any. Also our move in turn around time has been shortened to about 5 days because we have to be out of our apartment lease ASAP

Here are the details of the house:

wall color: sherwin Williams - Kilim Beige

Cabinet color: antique brown - knotty alder

granite: New Caledonia

Floor tile: sandalo Castilian Gray

Comments (29)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Have you looked at your wall color at different times of day? Wall color will change throughout the day depending on how the light is hitting it. I think your backsplash will work fine and your counters are fine. Both your cabinets and the counters are neutrals so no worries there.

Personally at this point, I'd wait until you're moved in, all your furniture is in and the pictures are hung. You may then decide you need to change the wall color, but I'm guessing not.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked cpartist
  • sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I'm not a designer and I usually stay out design threads, but I think this can be salvaged with an off white and very plain backsplash. I would not proceed with the backsplash chosen.

I see your cabinets as a neutral color, like a pair of jeans. I don't really think your granite and cabinets clash.

I think the clashing is more the kilim beige and the granite. My whole house was kilim beige in 2006 and it was very pinky-beige.

The only place where the granite and the kilim beige will meet is at the island. Can you have the island wrapped with knotty alder?

Do you like subway tile?

Summer Vacation · More Info

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Related Discussions

I hate Comcast , I hate Comcast, I hate Comcast.

Q

Comments (16)
    I am canceling my service with Comcast. I have the $4.99 charge to cover me in case I need to have a service call. Well in April I did have a service call as one of my two phone lines was not working. The technician who came out broke my phone and did not tell me that he broke it. I found that out much later -- it should have been a hint when he did not want me to hold the phone. Then he or Comcast put a $70.00 charge on my account. When I called Comcast, I told them about this, they admitted that it should not have been there and they told me that they would credit my account on the next bill, but that I was expected to pay it and they would issue a credit. I need to check the statutes but I don't think you can collect on disputed charges, especially when you are aware that YOU made the mistake. For the $70.00 that should not have been billed, they interrupted the service. I refuse to pay it and have notified my local jurisdiction and the FCC. If you are looking for a cable or internet or phone provider, don't walk past Comcast, run as fast and as far as you can.
    ...See More

Hate the Floors in New Construction

Q

Comments (6)
    We have polished concrete floors and our GC was extremely protective of them during construction. They had a layer of red paper and a layer of Ramboard over them the entire time, until we took it up for the polishing and sealing episode. After that cured, we put it right back down during the rest of the construction period. He said he figured that if anyone so much as dropped a hammer, Murphy's Law would make sure it was right in the middle of a pathway where we didn't plan a rug. Anyway, when the protection did come up, we saw a few small "anomalies" that made me think I would have done that differently, but they were nothing like what you're describing. And I don't even see mine anymore. If they looked like dirt and spills that were just sealed over, I would definitely see them. Every day. I hope you can get them to fix your floor without making a big deal of it. Subs may have mistreated them assuming they'd be covered up with another surface. That's just what they're used to, but yeah, don't let them write it off as "normal," not if your intent was always to have that as your finish floor. Everyone should have been aware of that.
    ...See More

I hate my new kitchen

Q

Comments (91)
    Pot lights in a perimeter pattern (about 12 inches from cabinets) the ceiling, a soffit with crown moulding over the cabinets, modern long SS cabinet handles, a pretty modern chandelier/ceiling light with personality to replace the fluorescent light, SS microwave, stove, and dishwasher to match the fridge..... SS appliances, pot lights, crown molding over a short soffit so cabinets appear to go to the ceiling, cool light fixture. Long handles on the cabinetry, again soffit to ceiling pot lights Interesting light over proposed/suggested island. The kitchen needs to be finished before you will feel comfortable in it; items are not relating to each other because you do not have enough items in the kitchen.......when you do have all the elements it will look 'finished' because it will be.
    ...See More

help! hate the area around front door of new construction home

Q

Comments (20)
    Bedroom 3 is my office. Very custom built for my family. Bed 2 has such a big closet because it’s my special needs son calm down space. Can’t do much taller door because will hit front entry light. Thinking of changing front entry light to recessed because then could. Appreciate all your ideas! Meeting with designer tomorrow but wanted ideas. Thank you!!!
    ...See More
  • laurenmeyerjarvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@benjesbride thanks for your input. Unfortunately we can't back out of the backsplash. It's going in next week. These big builders don't allow any modifications, which makes this process hard.

I I love subway tile. Our bathrooms will be subway tile!

i think the Kilim beige was fine as a sample, but it seems like it really pulls out the worst in features.

Again, we didn't get to chose the paint color unfortunately. I've even asked if I could pay and have it upgraded now and the answer was no.

i really like the idea of finishing the island in the same finish as the cabinets! I may do that once we move in!

i appreciate your feedback!

• laurenmeyerjarvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks @CPartist! I've been there in sunny days, rainy days, morning, noon,dusk, and night. Looks yellow all the time!!

im hesitant to pint before getting in, but painting after were moved in sounds like a beating to move and cover all furniture, set up scaffolding, ect. The ceilings are 2 stories and a staircase area to a loft. So if I'm going to paint, I want to do it before were in.

I'm hoping the backsplash will tie things together better...I love the cabinet color, the granite and tile. Just hesitant on how it all goes together

thanks for your input!

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I honestly don't think there's a major problem here. Believe me, if there was CP and I would tell you. The backsplash looks like it will relate nicely to your pretty fireplace.

Best wishes to you in your move and your pregnancy! What a wonderful and crazy time for you all. :-)

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked sheloveslayouts
  • laurenmeyerjarvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you!! This building process has been a nightmare. A 5 months build has become an 11 month build, all while living in a SMALL temporary apartment with 3 dogs and being pregnant! Hubby is in grad school right now too so chaos has been our life! We moved out of an old house that was a true lemon so we never had money to renovate like we wanted so we designed our "dream house" and it doesn't seem to be coming together very well.

We are hoping it will coordinate better once we are in!

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

It sounds so cheesy, but once you lay your eyes on that sweet little person it really won't matter what color the walls are. Our first is 6 years old now and I remember my husband and I talking about not caring to watch TV because we just enjoyed watching her so much.

• laurenmeyerjarvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Congrats to you and your family! I know it's such little stuff to worry over... Just wish it would have been done right. We've had lots of other issues so this is just the expensive tip of the iceberg! We were just excited to have our "picture" perfect house! Here's to a just staring at a perfect baby! Lol

• jcollins84
    8 years ago

I think it works too.

I usually regret almost every expensive design decision I make when I first see it! I always have this idea of what it will look like in my head, and I want it to be perfect. Usually it looks slightly different than how I imagined it, and I am disappointed... and sick about how much it cost, how much it will cost to change, the hassle of having to change it.. After a couple of weeks of living with it, I realize that I love it, and couldn't imagine a different choice!

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked jcollins84
  • owlface
    8 years ago

I'd paint it. Go with BM revere pewter-it'll look loads better with that granite. It'll feel like a pain but if you wait you'll hate looking at that color on your walls forever-you will be way too busy after baby comes. Revere Pewter is the magic color and it looks good with everything.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked owlface
  • User
    8 years ago

It isn't too late NOT to put a back splash up. Just tell them not to do it. Scraping it off to replace will be a PITA and may require you replace the backer board. If you must have something fire proof behind the cooktop, just have them do it there and call it good until the baby starts sleeping through the night and you recover.

I am sure this is a very stressful time for you. I LOVE the fire place!

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked User
  • desertsteph
    8 years ago

"It isn't too late NOT to put a back splash up. Just tell them not to do it."

I'm with this. To me the BS is too busy with the granite - and they are right up against each other. I think there are too many variations in the BS to go with the speckled granite. I'd rather just have paint on the walls than something busy. It also looks more rugged - is it smooth enough to clean easily in a kitchen? Many people here don't get to the BS for a yr or so down the road. Maybe wait until after you have the baby, your things are in and around it and you've adjusted to a new baby and new house and then take another look at it. A lot less stress then rather than now.

If something must be behind the stove, I'd have them put up a piece of stainless steel or something like that just in that spot. (things like that can be found at HD). But as nightowl said, it'll be much worse to get the BS up there and have to rip it out. A piece of SS there will come down easily.

congrats on the baby and the house!

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked desertsteph
  • Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

How far away from the perimeter cabinets is the island? It looks too close. You should have at least 42". Are those 18x18" tiles?

If it's at 36" I'd pay to have them move it out.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
  • annac54
    8 years ago

I agree on double checking the paint color. We had or condo painted and the painters had to get more paint to do the kitchen. I kept thinking it didn't look right, and sure enough, the paint was a pinky color when compared to the previously mixed cans of paint. Home Depot replaced the paint, but we had to reprint the kitchen ourselves as the painters were done and gone.

Also, if you picked a certain brand's color and the painters used some other brand's equivalent, the base colors and pigments aren't always the same and you can end up with a color that's not quite what you wanted.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked annac54
  • laurenmeyerjarvis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback!

I think uploading the pictures distort the shape a little bit, but the island is about 45 inches from the cook top.

i bought a paint sample the other day and put it on the way to check the color and it did have a shade variance. My sample was much more true tan and I didn't see as much gold. The builder is saying the color variation is due to their paint being flat and mine being eggshell (samples only come in eggshell)

i brought my color concern up to the Sales office but haven't heard anything yet.

Just to to clarify I didn't CHOOSE the paint color. It was the color the house was painted. However, at the design center our representative assured me the colors would coordinate perfectly. She actually suggested them based on that.

I know you can't blame the design center for this, but I don't want people to think I just went rouge with the paint and tile/granite choices! I trusted their "professional" opinions.

i don't know if anyone has worked with large builders in the past, but they do not veer from the plans a bit (unless it's a mistake, which is frequent). So they are required to put up THAT backsplash and no other. We can't even get them to NOT put up the large contractor mirrors in the bathrooms!

The backsplash pattern is actually very simple and neutral, not what's on the sample board. I'm hoping if anything it will calm the granite down with the natural stone look and pull out whatever Browns might be hiding deep in that granite and coordinate the fireplace into the kitchen.

the fireplace stone also is a lot more yellow than it should be. It's the same color stone we have on the outside of the house and it has some beautiful grey tones in it! Looks like the stones they chose for the fireplace were some of the more tan of the bunch!

After 11 months of waiting and lots of frustration, I'm very very anxious to get settled in!

Also so if you are considering a DR Horton home... Talk to me first!

• lenzai
    8 years ago

Repaint in eggshell, the whole downstairs. That little one will get his hands on the walls and flat paint is so much harder to clean!!

I also agree with not getting that backsplash. A plainer tile will make the beautiful wood cabinets pop more.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked lenzai
  • gwlake
    8 years ago

Now, that I know it's flat paint. I would absolutely repaint before you move in. You will need to paint with the next 24 months. Especially with baby hands. :) if you want a beige suggestion. Bunaglow beige (home decorator color) at Home Depot Is a great beige. It doesn't look yellow and it is not a gray/beige.

I just painted my house revere pewter. People love it in this house It did not work in my last house at all.

If anything, I would do whatever I could to avoid the backsplash being put in. They don't want to mess with giving you a credit. Sheesh, to help their paperwork process. Take more grass or landscaping as an option.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked gwlake
  • amykath
    8 years ago

I suggest getting a quart of the Killim Beige from SW or a sample (they have those smaller plastic containers and see if it does look the same or different. I think the BS might look good. It is really hard to tell. However, if you aren't sure don't have them put it up. My DH and I just did our own and if I could do it, believe me, anyone can!

I also think changing the island at some point to look less like a wall with a baseboard and more like a piece of furniture would help A TON!

Another idea is adding crown molding to the cabs and hardware. That will make a huge difference.

You already have a lovely warm and inviting beautiful home. I am sure once your move in an add your touch to the place it will begin to feel better!

Congrats on your pregancy!!!! How exciting.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked amykath
  • gwlake
    8 years ago

I just looked at the kilm beige paint chip I have. It absolutely has gold in it.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked gwlake
  • raebutt
    8 years ago

I am not a designer or an experienced renovater, just a house junkie! Based on the pics my eye sees your exterior stone and fireplace stone as gold toned and the walls look great with that. However, your granite and kitchen floors appear to be predominately grey. The close up of the floor sample looks more beige and when looking at all the samples together they look like they coordinate well. In the kitchen pic the walls look gold and the floor and granite look grey toned and that makes it look disconnected to me. Maybe you should try a grey based paint on the walls in both kitchen and living room near the fireplace and see if it enhances the grey in the fireplace and softens the kitchen. Just a thought. Repainting now will be way easier but so will living with it for 2 years and then repainting with a more washable paint than flat! New home, first baby, Congratulations on both!

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked raebutt
  • Karenseb
    8 years ago

I have Kilm beige in the whole house that we bought a couple years ago and it does not look at all gold or yellow anywhere. It is very neutral. Still, it is a warmer tone and I think your counter, tiles and back splash in your house pic look more gay, but in closeups, I see more tan together with gray in everything. One of the pics you showed with the counter, your back splash, tile and cabinet choice showed a nice color behind the counter. Kind of a putty color with a hint of green.

Personally, I would live with everything for a couple years and when the baby is around 2 years old (and taking 2-3hrs naps), repaint with an eggshell or flat enamel paint which is more forgiving with children. You might decide you like the color and you might decide on other colors for other rooms.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked Karenseb
  • johnsoro25
    8 years ago

I also have Kilim beige throughout my entire house. I was not aware it was a builders favorite when I chose it from the entire color wheel :) I love it as a warm, neutral beige that is a great with wood floors. We get tons of compliments on it. It does change color a bit with the time of day, but never looks pink or gold in my home.

I really love it on your walls, but not on the island- where it is directly adjacent to the granite. That would seem like an easy fix to repaint once the baby has a regular nap schedule. Congratulations on your first baby- so exciting, especially with the holidays coming up!!

And I like your backsplash- it think it will tie in the granite and cabinets.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked johnsoro25
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Remember too that computer screens are not accurate. Relax, live with it and after things settle down then decide. The rooms will look completely different once your things are in it

• fldirt
    8 years ago

Well, wall color is really hard to tell bc all computers show it different. But I must say I really think your backsplash is to busy for your counters. That being said now would be the perfect time to voice your complaint. Are they running behind on construction? do you have in writing when the completion date is? If it is their fault that the house is running off schedule…start making some noise. Maybe you can get them to use a different tile…plain ones. Other than that your house is going to be beautiful & having a new baby will make this all seem so small.

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked fldirt
  • llcp93
    8 years ago

I wish I had pics on this computer to show you but I think you will be fine. I have stained cabinets and grey countertops that have a fleck of the brown in them. I too was so worried when they went in because I thought the brown would be more noticeable. Once the backsplash is in, it will tie it all together. Put your accents and decorative stuff and it will come together even more. It wasn't what you were expecting, but I think it is going to be something you love.

Once the backsplash is in, reassess the paint. We just remodeled our master bath and with the brown coliseum granite and torreon travertine, the paint is much too pinkie beige and it needs to be repainted after I just had it painted

I will try to upload a few pics if you like

laurenmeyerjarvis thanked llcp93
  • architectsdaughter65
    8 years ago

I have skimmed most of the input regarding your situation, so forgive me if I repeat something that someone else has already said. I am going to "go rogue" here, and say I think the back splash you have chosen will look great with that granite and those cabinets, in that house! It will provide textural relief to the granite and will carry some stone over to your kitchen, that will complement the stone on your fireplace and the front facade of your home. From what I can see in the pictures, it will be rustic and interesting and natural. The island could be faced with wood paneling painted a high-gloss enamel off-black or charcoal black, to make it look like a piece of furniture. The black will also provide a great focal point and balance the other colors. I do agree with the one person who suggested painting the kitchen walls in a warm grey/greige tone. However, I can't see far enough to the right of the oven cabinets to see where that paint line would end. Once the backsplash is installed and if you wrap the island base, there won't be much of that Kilim Beige left in the actual kitchen vicinity and you could hang a large vertical piece of art between the oven cabinet and the window to break it up, or else hang natural linen drapery panels that extend far enough to cover much of the paint. It will break it up a lot. The paint looks great in the shot of your beautiful stone fireplace. I do agree the paint should absolutely be eggshell. Wishing you much luck in your new home and congratulations on your pregnancy!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I am going to "go rogue" here, and say I think the back splash you have chosen will look great with that granite and those cabinets, in that house! It will provide textural relief to the granite and will carry some stone over to your kitchen, that will complement the stone on your fireplace and the front facade of your home. From what I can see in the pictures, it will be rustic and interesting and natural

I agree 100%.

• llcp93
    8 years ago

Got home and took some quickie pics with my phone I said I would show you. While not identical, I have beige walls, SW Trusty Tan (6087) and ceiling SW Simplify Beige (6085). The counter top is not the same pattern, obviously, as yours, but it is still grey. It has tiny flecks of white, gold (looks yellow in photo) and the brown, like my cabinets. I thought the brown would show up a lot more to pull in the brown cabinets, but it doesn't.

My flooring is porcelain 20x20 travertine look-a-like, the back splash is 4x4 real tumbled Torreon Travertine with buttercream grout (goes on yellow, dries beige-y off white). I have sealed the travertine back splash 2 x in 18 years and it wipes clean with a wet sponge. I also cook with a lot of tomato based dishes-goulash, spagehetti, beef stew, etc. I have 0 stains. My stone was pitted like crazy and the grout fills them in and it is a cinch to keep clean. Seal yours well and you will have easy clean up. Have grease splatters? Dawn soapy water cleans it right up.

If you cannot wrap your island right away in wood to make it more furniture like, as some have suggested, you could pop off the existing baseboard, wrap the island in paneling, replace baseboard (may could use existing depending on thickness of paneling or just replace) and paint it or just paint it as is a contrasting color for now. I contrast painted my pantry last year, just for a little change. Bought 2 sample cans of the darkest color on my SW palate, SW Java (6090).

My kitchen is not everyone's taste or what they would pick or do, but I like it. It works for me. Go with what works for you. I think what you have chosen will all come together and look great. It is just not complete yet and your touches have not been added.