SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fouramblues

A day late and a dollar short: fouramblues’ kitchen reveal

fouramblues
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Well, actually three years late, and a LOT more than a dollar short from when I started… I introduced my kitchen on this forum in January 2012, and the kitchen was largely complete in September 2012. Most of the people who were around this forum back then aren’t here much anymore, so I’ll send out a big THANK YOU to the Ghosts of GW, Past, Present, and Future. You saved me from myself more than once, and were a great source of information and comfort while I was going through the process.

We built our house in 1994, and Builder Grade was all we got. Even if we’d had the money for upgrades, I didn’t know about such things. The kitchen was cramped and dark (paint color notwithstanding). We had a formal dining room that was used as a computer lab except for the three times a year when we’d clear the decks and host a holiday meal.

My architect (stewartsmithstudios.com) took snapshots as he evaluated the space, and I’m glad he did, because I didn’t think to take ‘before’ pics. He also is the reason I have professional photos of my kitchen; he had them taken for his portfolio. (Aside: don’t assume that all architects know about form only. Stewart introduced me to the NKBA kitchen design concepts.) I really can’t say enough about how he understood what was necessary for optimal function and how to make the space feel light, open, and welcoming. Here is my kitchen before the reno, and this is what it looked like most of the time:

We got rid of the formal dining room and changed the whole layout, as well as added lots of windows, and this is what we’ve got now:

(Pete Albert Photography)

I didn’t do any staging, except removing my gangly aloe plants and adding the flowers and the wine vignette. So this is essentially how my counters look all the time now. Not so cramped and cluttered! I still can’t believe I get to cook in here every day.

A lot of people have reservations about eliminating a formal dining room, but our dining space is so much more welcoming and beautiful than it was before, and we can seat just as many as we could in our old dining room. Here’s a closeup of our bumped out dining area:

In addition to getting a more welcoming dining area, I got desk area and a big walk-in pantry, which revolutionized how I use my kitchen. I use my desk area daily:

Here’s “What’s IN [My] ‘Pantry’”:

Just for fun, here’s what the other side of the room looked like before:

We added a bay window to open up the space, and at the far end of the room a mud room (I’m not sure how we lived without that!):

The details that I remember about materials:

Cabinetry: Starmark, Ivory cream tinted varnish on maple and java stain on cherry

Countertops: Paperstone, chocolate; and Cambria quartz,Buckingham

Desk top: Craft-Art Black Walnut plank style

Backsplash: Apricot Tile, Yura random brick, foggy

Floors: Plyboo strand, Havana

Island pendants: Pottery Barn, Barnard

Sink pendant: Restoration Hardware

Pulls (all 5”, no knobs): Schaub Northport, satin nickel

Dishwasher: Bosch we reused from old kitchen

Range: Capital Precision

Hood: ProLine

Wall oven/microwave: Kitchenaid

Refrigerator/Freezer: Frigidaire twins

Some people are interested in how the twins look when split up. Here’s what mine look like, and I prefer it to all that stainless together:

Finally, here’s a parting shot of the kitchen, which I cropped from the Pete Albert photo above:

Comments (58)

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Bravo! What a cheerful, happy place you have created. I would linger in that lovely dining space for hours. It looks functional AND attractive. In other words, perfection.

fouramblues thanked funkycamper
  • tmy_jax
    8 years ago

Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing!

fouramblues thanked tmy_jax
  • Related Discussions

Rift Oak Kitchen Reveal

Q

Comments (42)
    Thanks again for the comments. gooster: Glad to hear you had good experience with Modernaire. I am probably overly harsh on them. Their service was probably as good as anyone else's. It was more that the range hood itself was just challenging. ppbenn: The island top is White Princess quartzite. The design of dark cabinets and light counter was really inspired by firsthouse_mp and annkathryn. Thank you to them! The WP is fairly consistent in color and not too busy. Has just the right amount of green and grey without being too splotchy. There are several threads on White Princess. I love it! The island size is 92" x 42". We wanted it a little longer to fit 4 comfortably but when we laid it all out we thought it was better to have more room in the aisle by the refrig. We have 46" there and 42" on the sink aisle and range aisle. @kaysd - the painting is oil on hemp. It is from a Vietnamese artist Vu Thang. http://vuthang.vxartgallery.com/Gallery/
    ...See More

Week 18: a day late and $$ short

Q

Comments (40)
    I love gray days, but it's probably somewhat of a grass is always greener thing. The grayest places I've lived are a couple spots around the Bay Area. Mostly I've lived in so cal. I'm at school/work waiting for students to finish a quiz. I'm advisor for Academic Decathlon this year, I can't believe all these students volunteer to study and take quizzes. Amazing. My top of my head list of what's to be done by the HD GC: Finish crown Fix existing crown Install floating shelves Install remaining furniture base (was back ordered) Install all light rails Install 3 fillers Fix drywall which was broken out around 3-gang switch Fix door frame that they put 15 staples into Get faucet flowing properly (it's about 1/3 if what it should be) Then there's the whole end panel situation (got call today that it's arrived), which means coordinating them, the floor guys, and the SZ guy) Still missing some shelves and ancillary parts, I delayed pushing those because I wanted that ordered only once. Our other GC and local cabinet guy-Frame and plank (some have called it a canopy) need to be built and installed with the pendants. Got estimate earlier in the week and gave asked for a written plan/design sketch. Local cabinet guy is not quick, we know, which is one reason we didn't go with him for more. But he will also shave down the door and drawer necessary. Oh and innermost rep was getting me some side to side adjustment capable drawer hardware and a few other things. Last, but not least, we're about 95% sure that HD paid the GC without us signing off. We paid quite a bit for permits, and only a lighting permit was pulled, and if course it's not inspected or anything yet. When the HD KD and innermost rep were out 2.5 weeks ago, it sounded like we might not be dealing with THAT GC again. Now that the panel is in, it's time to go chat with HD and find out. This post was edited by cal_quail on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 18:31
    ...See More

Very. Late. Reveal. Small, rustic, white oak kitchen. Pic Heavy

Q

Comments (137)
    So I'm a year late in commenting but SO happy I got to see this amazing kitchen, thanks to the "best reveals" thread. I followed this with interest and worried a little, you seemed so ambitious in including a gazillion good ideas and I wasn't sure it would lead to a cohesive, attractive result. It is a stunning kitchen, full of beauty and functionality but it is more than that, you've infused it with depth and soul. Congratulations!
    ...See More

Better late than never...My Kitchen Reveal

Q

Comments (134)
    Oh I'm squealing with delight to see this reveal. I missed it earlier somehow. Amy, you have one of my all time favorite kitchens. I'm serious....I have had your kitchen picture saved for a looooong time. It would be my dream kitchen if I could chose one. I love everything about it. I had actually posted a picture of your kitchen on someone's thread a while back who was wanting a similar layout. Yours is going to inspire so many. You and dh did an amazing job. That hood is awesome. You should be so proud because it is truly stunning.
    ...See More
  • anitamo
    8 years ago

That's a terrific transformation . Love that ceiling and all the colors in your decor. Beautiful

fouramblues thanked anitamo
  • dovetonsils
    8 years ago

Very bright and pleasant kitchen. Wow, that is some serious refrigeration.

fouramblues thanked dovetonsils
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I'm so glad you came to post. What a wonderful transformation :)

fouramblues thanked Errant_gw
  • msmagoo
    8 years ago

Beautiful! Doesn't even look like the same house! Can you try to explain how you did the ceilings? And was it a nightmare mess to do?

It looks as though you have 9 ft before?

fouramblues thanked msmagoo
  • schoolhouse_gw
    8 years ago

What?! wowsa I just love befores and afters, esp. ones that surprise the heck out of you. Very nice, good job.

fouramblues thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • lisa_a
    8 years ago

Am I still a Ghost of GW Past if I'm still here? I remember your planning posts but I hadn't realized that you never posted a reveal thread. So glad you did! Better late than never.

Love your ceiling and your desk area. That walnut top is gorgeous! Love the 2 aqua chairs at your table. And all the windows! Swoon! Cool shape to your island. How many can you seat at it? Looks like quite a few.

I contemplated doing away with our formal dining room but DH and friends and family who are realtors all said, "no." They told me, in no uncertain terms, that for our neighborhood and size of our home, it would be a very bad idea. Instead we just made our DR much nicer so that I now want to use it regularly.

fouramblues thanked lisa_a
  • BirchPoint
    8 years ago

" I didn’t know about such things. " You sure did become a master of "such things"!! Amazing job --- looks like a magazine!

fouramblues thanked BirchPoint
  • fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Errant, me too! :) I'd always intended to post, but it sometimes takes me a while...

msmagoo, our first floor is 9', and our wonderful contractor simply (ha!) framed out the 8' ceilings, leaving the center still at 9'. Other than the kitchen/dining, the rest is still 9'. Make sense? The whole kitchen/dining area was sealed off during the reno, because it was a complete gut remodel, so YES it was messy! :)

Yes, lisa_a, you are one of the ghosts, past, present, and perhaps future. Hi and thanks! We have four chairs at the island usually, and can squeeeze in one more. The wide angle lense makes the island look longer than it is. And as for dining rooms, it's all about use. If you do, then that's perfect! If we ever wanted to sell this place, which I can't imagine, we'd stage the adjacent living room (not shown in the pics) as the dining room, since it can be important for resale.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

BirchPoint, I didn't have houzz when we had this place built! ;)

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haha, schoolhouse, it surprised the heck out of me too! (I'd sort of forgotten what the old space felt like.)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

fouramblues thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • rebunky
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! I want that pantry and everything that is "IN" it! :-) I could use that wine rack for sure.

The little details keep catching my eye. Just a couple quick examples, the detail over the fridge and freezer and the turquoise chairs at the table and the desk....but I could go on and on...

I also think that was so smart how you spun the cabinet to the right of the range hood. Fabulous!

fouramblues thanked rebunky
  • treehuggergirl
    8 years ago

Wow! Amazing transformation!

fouramblues thanked treehuggergirl
    8 years ago

What a wonderful upgrade! I've been wearing out my fingers reading comments and flipping up to look at photos, scroll down, repeat. Do you have LED or other lighting in the ceiling cove? If so, does it provide much useful light, or more just ambience? We're considering something similar, so my fixation-of-the-week is on cans and lumens and kelvins and CRI. The little lights above your table are intriguing too. Also, what's the vent above your fridge/freezer? Thanks for putting together the reveal.

fouramblues thanked AvatarWalt
  • amykath
    8 years ago

Wow!!!! That is a serious change from the before. It is magazine worthy! I love all of it. So many well thought out details and so bright and cheerful! Congrats to you!

fouramblues thanked amykath
  • smalloldhouse_gw
    8 years ago

Wow, I love how creatively you reimagined the space. And the "twins" in a kitchen that is not stadium-sized makes me incredibly jealous! It's really such an inspiring transformation, I wish I'd seen it before we redid our kitchen!!

fouramblues thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • Chanop
    8 years ago

Love the amount of natural light you are having now. Your little desk is pretty nice; it's your corner.

fouramblues thanked Chanop
  • autumn.4
    8 years ago

It looks like a completely different house! I love the windows and that walnut desk area. It looks very convenient and useful. Wow! I also love the look/color scheme you chose with the pop of aqua/teal. Very nice.

Thanks for posting the day/year late as I'm in the same delayed state so it makes me not feel so bad. :)

fouramblues thanked autumn.4
  • kimihh
    8 years ago

Love your coffered ceiling. And those windows!

fouramblues thanked kimihh
  • bpath
    8 years ago

It really is so lovely, the dining is a place to linger, much better than a formal dining room! I really like the light fixture over the sofa in the box bay! We have a bay window that I like, but it's hard to light for reading. Yours is a great solution I haven't seen before.

Question about the kitchen itself: is it bigger than before? Or just better designed for efficiency and storage? (And beauty, of course)

fouramblues thanked bpath
  • mgmum
    8 years ago

Wow! I love it! The desk area and pantry are very useful and I LOVE the bay windows in the dining area. Did the whole kitchen move down, or the dining room was just repurposed for the pantry/desk. In any event, it's really wonderful.

fouramblues thanked mgmum
  • romy718
    8 years ago

That is one beautiful kitchen. Love your new dining room. All your details, from the aqua accents to your choice of light fixtures, are perfect. Great ceiling. What is your paint color?

fouramblues thanked romy718
  • User
    8 years ago

We would LOVE that corner desk area. Truly wonderful - all of it.

fouramblues thanked User
  • fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Aw, you all are so kind! It feels good when other TKOs appreciate the change.

rebunky, the turning of the cabinet as well as the whole layout was all on the architect. It's good that we had a good one!

A few of you mentioned the dining set. This kitchen was a good high/low exercise. I gel stained the old orange table, and painted the old orange chairs a pretty turquoise. We did buy four new chairs, since we needed more seating, and I thought four turquoise chairs was overkill. The extra seating is stored for large gatherings. (We served 22 people in this area two Easters ago!)

AvatarWalt, I researched lighting until I practically dreamed about it! Sadly, I've forgotten most of it. Everything except the sink pendant is LED. All the recessed housings are Nora brand, and the 4" cans are Ecosmart bulbs from Home Depot. The cove lighting is ambient, not task, but it really opens up the feel of a space to have light washing the ceiling. The vent by the freezer is my solution to makeup air, described here: My makeup air solution

autumn.4, does that mean I should be lurking, looking for a reveal from you soon? ;)

bpathome, the kitchen is bigger, as it took over part of the dining room. Here's what we started with (I cringe when I see comments about 3' aisles like, "Oh, I think it'll be fine!". Well, I can testify that it's not!):

And this is the layout before you'd all convinced me that the dishwasher and prep sink were poorly placed (which my architect tried to do to no avail; you guys are more persistent):

mgmum, see above! :)

romy718, the first floor paint is BM Stonington grey, except for the family room, which is BM Ocean Air.

I hope I answered everyone's questions!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And about the windows... They really make the space for us, and DH insisted that we spend a chunk of our budget on really nice ones. He didn't have to press me on that! We have a western exposure, so in the afternoons we're just flooded with light. In winter, sometimes DH sneaks away from his desk at work and does the last couple of hours of work on his laptop at home in the dining area. He has a difficult time when the hours of light get so few. We have an exterior roll-down shade for summer afternoons when it gets just too darn hot.

• bpath
    8 years ago

'Nother question, this time about the pantry: did you add an electrical box in there? Or did you move it from somewhere else?

And, the pocket door, I like the handle, it solves a drawback to pocket doors, but does it mar the door jamb? Or does the door not go into the wall far enough for that to happen?

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We needed another electrical panel for the stuff we added to the kitchen since the old one was full. The pantry handles haven't ruined the door jamb yet, though the doors otherwise would fully retract. All the snack stuff is in the pantry, so there's lots of kid activity in there, and the setup is holding up in spite of this, thank goodness.

• bpath
    8 years ago

Thanks. I really like your pantry, and that whole set up with the desk by it, a window, the coffee :)

i also like your island shape, I was pondering something like that for my kitchen which is a traffic route from garage to the stairs. It would help guide bodies. Do you like the shape for moving around and for working on?

fouramblues thanked bpath
  • fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, bpathome! Yes, though the island shape was necessitated by clearances, it functions really well for me. I prep right by the sink, and the depth is ample for prep work. The seating area gets the extra depth, and that's critical.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I'm amazed at some of the transformations I see on GW, and this is one of the most amazing. The kitchen and adjoining spaces are beautiful, and I would think that even if I weren't partial to white kitchens. I love the desk, shelves, and pantry. I would say 'Enjoy', but I'm sure you've been doing that for 3 years. ;)

fouramblues thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, mama_goose! I'm partial to green kitchens, and yours is a favorite! I'm extremely happy with my white kitchen, though it was a teensy bit of a chicken-out.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

maybe....it is really complete but I haven't camouflaged my outlet covers yet. ;)

So when I saw your reveal I thought hmmm, now if I was hanging out in that kitchen at 4 a.m. I don't think I'd have the blues. I think I'd sneak down there and just relax and go ahhhhhhhhh. I really love those windows and I can see why dh would steal away and sit there - AND you have a window at your desk! I have always been drawn to kitchens that have a 'bonus' window that is additional to the one over the sink. I think they are very cool!

fouramblues thanked autumn.4
  • User
    8 years ago

I'm so happy you posted your reveal. I came to GW Kitchens 9 yrs. ago during a lake build, left after that (occasional check ins..) then came back in 2013 for our home kitchen remodel. Somewhere along the line I must have confused your user name with a similar one. In my mind yours was an entirely different kitchen.

So this straightens things out for me as well as offering a view of a stunning remodel. I echo comments above about the great light you've brought in and the clever use of finishes. What a lovely, functional, livable home!

fouramblues thanked User
  • fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, autumn.4, I gave up on hiding the outlet covers, just decided to go with stainless, since it's all over my kitchen. Good luck with your last touches! And as for the blues, I haven't had 'em since I stopped having to get up at 4:00 to go to work! :)

amck2, I'm curious about my GW doppelgänger! ;)

• 4kids4us
    8 years ago

Love love love it! I really like how the new space was designed after incorporating your dining room into a new pantry and desk area. And all the new windows! For kicks, I clicked on the link for your architect and discovered he is relatively local to me (I'm in Annapolis). Did he actually design your kitchen layout also, or just do the drawings for your new space? Or does he have a kitchen designer he prefers to work with? I have a project I need to do in phases, first kitchen, then possible bump out on front of house that would completely change the exterior so I need someone with vision. Kitchen would involve moving a bathroom and possibly a wall. I assume you would recommend him? And two years later, are you happy with your cabinetry? I really want white, but nervous with four kids (though older, they are not exactly careful!).

ive been sitting on this project for way too long (project paralysis!) but can't wait any longer. Seeing your kitchen is motivating me. How did you hear about the architect and did you interview any others before choosing him?

fouramblues thanked 4kids4us
  • fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, 4kids4us! Yes, Stewart Smith designed the space, including the kitchen layout, then produced all the drawings for permitting. After several conversations and lots of information gathering, he presented us with several concepts. There was one that worked really well for us, and we asked him to use that, but also incorporate a few ideas from the other concepts. And so he produced this final design. You can see from his website that he has vision! (I'll include a before and after shot of the back of our house here so you can see for yourself.) He doesn't work with a KD that I know of. He designed our layout, then I ordered cabinets and chose all the finishes myself (with lots of input from my GW Ghosts). I would 100% recommend Stewart! He's done a lot of amazing work in my neighborhood (of which he is a resident), and I didn't interview other architects for the job, as I was confident he would be able to create what we wanted (though we didn't know what that was). He is very good at structural work, and we had three bumpouts so that was very important to us.

As for the cabinetry, it's holding up well. I have four older kids also, and the traffic in this space is unrelenting. I'd do white cabinets all over again. I might not, however, do a dark stained island again. Maybe a more mid-toned stain, though it wouldn't look as dramatic, because the dark stain shows marks and dust a lot.

Good luck with your project - it sounds significant and exciting!!

Exterior before:

Exterior after:

• User
    8 years ago

Very pretty! You did a fantastic job!

fouramblues thanked User
  • 4kids4us
    8 years ago

Love the transformation of the back of your house. Those windows are fantastic. I'm putting his contact info on my TO DO list. I'm not sure if I'll have time before the holidays to get started with him but perhaps my New Year's resolution will be to stop lollygagging and get moving! When you say that he doesn't work with a KD, does that mean that he worked with you to plan out the cabinetry layout and provided all the measurements so you knew what to order? I have a general idea what I want to do with my space, but due to structural constraints, I'm not sure it will work structurally, or aesthetically. I've had a contractor look at it but I don't know that I'd trust him to get the aesthetics right. IOW, he agreed with what I was considering and said it was possible, but I'm thinking a professional, like a trained architect, would better provide me with whether the finished project would be visually appealing. If that makes any sense.....

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, 4kids, we love our deck too; we spend so much time out there now! As for a KD, I think you'd probably want to hire an independent. Stewart did write in sizes of cabinetry on the layout he drew, but there's so much more to ordering cabs than that. A KD would help with all the details, like adding filler so that you can actually open your drawers at the corner of your L kitchen. Finally, I'm sure he would help you determine whether your idea is workable. Good luck with your project!

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

fouramblues - This was a rare treat to see your reveal, both inside and out. You do have a great architect - I'm sending the outside pictures to my timber framer brother :) I really enjoyed the pictures of your outside with the wonderful accent lighting. I love how the ceiling transformed the kitchen and am wondering a little why you didn't continue it throughout. Would you mind posting a few close-ups of the paperstone? I am not familiar with the term.

While I'm asking, how about a few backsplash close-up pictures? Love how the natural light permeates the space and am still smiling at the thought of your DH coming home early to work at the table. Wonderful transformation!

fouramblues thanked oldbat2be
    8 years ago

I'm glad I got another notification of a message on this thread, as it's always a treat to take one more look at your kitchen, fouramblues. Thanks for the information on the lights--do you have any "I wish I had"s on lighting? Was there a during-construction debate about whether to put cans in more of the ceiling? I like the look without them in the recessed part of your kitchen ceiling, and in the family room too, but I worry that we need them with our 9'+ ceilings in DR and LR (hard to avoid them in the kitchen).

Also, given your location in a hot-and-cold part of the country, do you find that the make-up air changes the temp of the room much when you have the fan on? Something new for me to fret about . . .

fouramblues thanked AvatarWalt
  • a2gemini
    8 years ago

Four,

Gosh, my old GW friend, I haven't been spending as much time in kitchens recently as our new puppy is taking up our time.

Gorgeous job on the kitchen and exterior. I love your lights, ceiling and your twins. I could go on but others have said it all. I would love to see more shots from in the kitchen

I am so glad you finally did get your Buckingham. I am so jealous as you had enough width to do what I could not do in my kitchen. Your island looks great!

Is that home made peach jam in the pantry? If so, heading over for a visit!

fouramblues thanked a2gemini
  • fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your kind words, oldbat! Wow, I got lost for a while on your brother's website - gorgeous! As for our ceilings, only the dining/kitchen was totally gutted. I wouldn't have been willing to deal with the mess involved with coffering the other rooms. Not sure I'd want to anyway - I like that it's a special focal point. I took a couple of shots of the splash today, but the color isn't right. I'm including them here anyway.

ETA PaperStone pic:

AvatarWalt, you're too kind! But I don't know what to tell you about can lights. I love them in my kitchen and dining, but we added a few on the perimeter of the play room (grey couch at far end of the room), and I really don't like them there. That lighting makes me feel like I'm being interrogated every time I sit on that couch. We also need more light in our family and living rooms, but m not convinced cans are the solution. And it does get a little chilly when I turn on the MUA in the winter, so I'm careful to turn it off as soon as possible. I haven't noticed a big difference in the summer.

Hi, a2! A new puppy? Please post pics!!!!! I miss seeing you around, but I'm not here much anymore either. I'm loving my sister countertop to yours! From the pics of your kitchen it doesn't look like you had to make compromises - functional and gorgeous, not looking sad for lack of an island! Good catch on the jam. :) Yes, it's spiced peach, plus a few others. I have a fig tree that's just getting big enough to produce, so I'm going to have to add fig/orange to my repertoire. Take care!

• michoumonster
    8 years ago

wow! beautiful! I espeically love your lighting and ceilings!

can you share info about your cabinet mesh inserts above your fridges? they are so much more decorative than the typical.

fouramblues thanked michoumonster
  • oldbat2be
    8 years ago

fouramblues - What a great backsplash, thank you for posting the pictures. The shelf is perfect right there! I had not known about paperstone before, very interesting to see it being used.

fouramblues thanked oldbat2be
  • kksmama
    8 years ago

Fantastic reveal, thanks for sharing! I'd love to sit in that lovely dining area every day and for special meals, too! Love the use of the twins, and all those beautiful windows. Your kitchen seems warm and harmonious but also bright and light, this looks like one which would recoup the investment at resale.

fouramblues thanked kksmama
  • fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, michoumonster! I stole the refrigerator vent idea from phorbin (phorbin's kitchen reveal). The GC's guy, Julio, made a frame, painted it with spray paint I ordered from the cabinet company, and put in the punched metal sheet I picked up at Home Depot. I wanted the metal painted like phorbin's, but Julio, who always competently and quietly did what I asked, objected. He thought it really should stay silvery to go with the refrigerator. I said that I'd try it his way, but that I'd ask him to paint it if I didn't like it. I decided he was right, and we left it unpainted. :)

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, kksmama! I know one should never say 'never', but we plan to never sell this place, so resale wasn't a consideration. :) But it's nice to know that, if things change, our reno has added value. Probably not what we spent, but oh well!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations