SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Better late than never...My Kitchen Reveal

amykath
8 years ago

You guys have likely seen my kitchen in various threads, particularly my pantry.

Hope you enjoy. I will have to take a few more in the evening as I love it at night.

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

Comments (134)

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here it is on a hot day and in use!

• Shelley Graham
    8 years ago

What a stunning space! I'm really at a loss for words. Love the colors, design, dog, everything. Kudos!!

• Related Discussions

Better late than never - finally finished!

Q

Comments (3)
    Wow! Very pretty! Looks both bigger and more functional!
    ...See More

My Old World Kitchen~Better Late than Never

Q

Comments (9)
    Haven't checked here in awhile~ glad I did michellemarie- Our trim is all knotty alder. I went and looked for the stain, it was a dark walnut stain. I am very happy with all the appliances. My only two regrets, I still regret. The fridge isn't that big a deal, but I really don't like the low microwave. I didn't want the Danze bridge faucet. I liked the look, but thought it would be a pain to clean around. DH won that decision. No big deal to clean around. Glad we got it.(don't tell him though ~ (: The walnut countertop is pretty durable. Just have to remember not to put anything hot on it, like we can on granite. I don't think I'd like it in my whole kitchen, but for the island I love the way it looks. Good luck! Will be looking forward to your pictures. jojo, I will email you a link to better pictures
    ...See More

Kitchen/House Reveal - DIY with Scherr's RTA. Better late then never

Q

Comments (62)
    I've been waiting for a quiet morning with a cup of coffee to soak in your reveal. WOW!!! I keep getting up to show my husband another set of before & after pictures. There are so many things to comment on. The new exterior is beautiful. The entry area & staircase redesign sets the stage for the rest of this truly lovely transformation. I love, love, love the kitchen table area with the windows, french doors & window seat. When I saw the 3-D pics with the peninsula, I had to go back & locate the peninsula. It blends in perfectly with the eating area. Absolutely love the Costa Esmeralda. I can just imagine you posting your marble tiles with the countertop & asking for advice with many of us saying "too busy & don't do the framed insert above the stove." It's perfect & it's stunning. I love the colors of the glass tiles with the Costa Esmeralda. Big Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the outside pictures & pics of the fireplace built-ins. Step stool storage - genius!
    ...See More

Better late than never Kitchen Reveal

Q

Comments (15)
    How can you bear to leave the Blue Pearl (which surely is what sold the house!) the elegant backsplash and pendants, and the view out the French doors? Ah well, life moves on and so do we. The question is, what will you do similarly in the new kitchen? I guess you won't get another Uline hood, but what would you take with you if you could?
    ...See More
  • dan1888
    8 years ago

Beautiful granite. A little more time on the kitchen forum would have resulted in an alternative to the back-to-back stove sink layout portion of your design. They don't go for that.

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

dan - my prep sink is back to back to my stove and is what I consider an optimal location. Chop, twirl, step, add to pan.

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dan, if you are talking about the butler's pantry sink location we changed the plan and the sink is now under a window on the other wall.

gw · More Info

If you mean my sink in the main kitchen then I have to say, I love it's location and the location of the range.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Dan, that's really only a concern with tight aisle widths. Aktillery has ample aisles.

Aktillery, I was drooling over kitchen and butler's pantry before. Now I'm drooling over your pool. Amazing.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

Aktillery, your pool is beautiful. Did you hang out on the pool site too? I found GW when we were building our pool. Not as active as it used to be. I still pop over there once in awhile.

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lily, no I peeked over at the pool forum but never really posted anything.

Are you happy with your pool?

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

I didn't post much over there. Mostly read. Again, so much information I never knew about pool building!

We love our pool and use it all summer long (MD). A couple of things we would have done differently, but since we never put in a pool before we got most of it right :)

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness, your kitchen is absolutely lovely. Your granite ITDF and I'll bet that you see new interesting swirls each day. I have to keep scrolling back up to look at it again.

Is your main kitchen sink a Whitehaven? If so that is one workhorse of a sink. I love mine.

Wishing you many happy years in your lovely kitchen!

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Holly-Kay! No my main sink is a Belle Foret. I had one before and liked it so much I got another.

• Cheryn Mitchell
    8 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen! Could you please share your source for those gorgeous pendant lights and your wall color?

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I got the pendants at Dot@bo.com however I painted them as they were chrome. The light color is SW Accessible Beige and the dark color is Brainstorm Bronze.

Thanks for the compliments!!

• Cheryn Mitchell
    8 years ago

Thanks for the quick response! I looked online and found the light but not with the bronze looking fixture - they look great painted! One last question, do you find that having the exposed bulb provides a lot of glare? I'm looking into pendant lights and keep leaning towards industrial style with a diffuser but really love the look of these. thanks

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No. I haven't noticed a glare problem.

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One more thing... I used the edison bulbs in them.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

Hold up there, skippy! lol.. tell us about the fridge and that STOVE.. ;)

Be-a-utiful!

Russ

• beth09
    8 years ago

You are truly blessed. Lovely everything. :)

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The fridge is a full fridge by Marvel. The range is a Capital Culinarian. I love both of them!!!! We have a full freezer in the butler's pantry.

• kksmama
    8 years ago

Oh so lovely! That hood is fantastic, such a perfect color and style. I've been looking for a tray for above my own range since I saw Allison's bridge medallion and haven't yet found mine! How is it attached to the wall, where did you find it, etc? Happy to see your gorgeous reveal, thanks for sharing.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

I thought that stove looked familiar ;) Did you get the griddle or the grill? I planned to get the 48" manual with the 6 burners and the griddle. We are just waiting for the slab and told today "very soon, just finishing up a couple slabs and yours is next" so.. hoping any day now. Once the slab goes in, we get to order the stove ;)

How long did yours take to come in?

Any pictures of it in action? Good pictures of it are hard to come by (impossible.. lol) in that configuration! If you feel a need to post more pictures of that bad baby, go right ahead! ;)

We plan to have the same backsplash as well!

The fridge I think we are going with is the Frigidaire with the full size fridge and freezer kit.

Thanks! :) Beautiful kitchen!

• chicagoans
    8 years ago

excuse me. I have to go wipe the drool off my chin...

• jugosea
    8 years ago

Aktillery9-- It's getting to be an echo chamber in here, but gorgeous kitchen.

I also wanted to thank you for posting, not only the pics, but also your layout drawing, which has been tremendously helpful to me. We are about start demo for a remodel in a home that we just purchased, and seeing your "butler's kitchen" gave me the idea to do something sort of similar in ours. We were going to put our range against an exterior wall, which would have required removing/filling in a window there. To maximize storage and countertop continuity, we were also considering removing a glass door to the backyard, which would've been ok, but left me thinking "there has to be a better way...", since having access to the backyard from that corner of the house makes sense. Seeing your posts made me recognize that we could do something similar, essentially building a new wall parallel to the exterior wall to create a large butler's pantry (though not as large as yours). The exterior door would open up directly into the pantry, allowing us to keep it, and keeping the current window starts to make sense too, as it would provide some natural light to the pantry. We would then also have a space (i.e. the pantry) with direct access to the backyard that could be closed off from the rest of the house, to allow for canine sequestration, once we get back into the dog owning business (we lost ours last summer, and have a toddler and newborn baby keeping us busy right now, so there will be no puppies in our immediate future). Here in the muddy PNW, having such a space is a real boon for dog owners. After I saw your posts I spent some time doodling with trace paper and then sent an email to our architect who agreed that it made sense to explore this idea. Just got back from a meeting at the house with the architect and contractor, and I think it is likely that we are going to do it.

I was also pleased to see your Capital Culinarian, in its natural habitat. As the previous commenter noted, there just aren't than many photos of them out there. That company is about as inept at marketing their products (which users seem to love) as I have seen. We are likely going to order a 60" CC (with 24" griddle), though I still haven't completely ruled out a Bluestar. There was something about the styling of the CC (mostly the handles, I think?) that I haven't loved in the photos that I've seen. But seeing the range in your photos has reassured me-- it looks great. Thanks for posting!

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Russ, we have the griddle. It took a couple of weeks to come in. I will post pics of it in action. It's a bit dirty right now so don't judge! Lol

jug, I am thrilled I could inspire a new layout for you!!!!

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Russ, I found this youtube video that sold me on the CC. I would also like to add that we have found that the burners burn hot and what you might use for a low heat should likely be on the simmer. You will figure out as you use it. That sucker boils water so fast it is amazing. Here is a link to the youtube video. Not sure if you have already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkI25_hov6w

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

kk, it is attached with nails. It had a hook in the back. I bought it from ebay from a Belgian seller. We love it!

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

AK - I have seen all the videos so many times, I think Youtube is going to charge me money for bandwidth overages! lol

Seriously though, we have been waiting so long to get the house started. We would have swapped builders but the one we have is so good and so nice and they flat out include so many things most charge extra for.

Not to take this off topic, but to give you an idea.. all the external walls are 2x6 not 2x4 and blown in insulation, radiant barrier, etc.. can't get that. Add to that it is really a "custom"house.. i.e. they would have taken any home plan we found or even a drawing and let us modify it how we wanted and they would have built it. We ended up picking an old farm house plan they had and then modified the kitchen to hell and back again.. lol

Then, they carry the construction note, so saves us the hassle of all that while they are building.

So, back on topic...once the foundation is laid, we get to order all the "stuff" like the oven. I was figuring it would take like 8-10 weeks, so 2 weeks.. wow.. I can store it in our storage unit till the builder is ready so I will need to make sure they can move it...gives me more time to SEE it.. lol

I would love some good sized pictures of it. I have never seen this configuration and kept having to tell the in-laws "well, picture this stove without this but with that" etc.. heh;)

You have such a beautiful kitchen..that stove looks like a lot of fun to cook on!

Oh, we are going with the manual clean. We did not see a huge deal paying 2k for auto clean.

I have no doubt Trevor will be glad to see us finally get an invoice. I asked him so many questions, he probably thought we were trying to become a dealer.. lol

p.s. a dirty kitchen means you have been USING it ;)

Thank you so much for pictures etc, in advance.

Russ

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Russ we also used 2x6 for framing. Here are a couple of pics.

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

More

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A few more

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

Awesome.. tyvm for humoring me... lol. I pulled my wife in here to brag about your kitchen too ;)

R

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

btw, where are you from? beautiful view out that window.

R

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Russ! We live sw of Austin in what we call the Texas Hill Country. It is called Canyon Lake bc of the lake which is Canyon Lake.

Hope my pics helped some.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

lol! I was showing that to my wife and was like, "man, that looks like Lake Travis".. heh. We lived in Round Rock but are living in Bastrop and waiting for our new house to be built in Cedar Creek about 4-5 miles north of HWY 71 off of Pope Bend. (right on the back side of the Hyatt Resort area)

They helped a lot. Glad another local has the same stove ;) I called around, with the help of Trevor, and located a few possible service companies if we have any issues.

Thanks again for all the pics!

Russ

• kksmama
    8 years ago

I hate to impose, but could you give me any more help with a search? I have looked on Etsy and ebay with no success, maybe because I'm not sure what terms to use (I've tried medallion, bronze, charger, antique). And then there is the issue of size - yours is in perfect proportion to your gorgeous range. Mine is smaller, I think something 18-24" would work over my 36" range. And...did you really have the nerve to just put a nail right into that lovely backsplash? I guess for the right piece I could be that brave.

• michoumonster
    8 years ago

wow!! my eyes are about to explode from all the ogling!! Everything is so exquisite, inside and out!! I especially love all your lighting. and I like that you chose not to go all the way up with your cabinets so you could have beautiful things up there! Are the lights above each door library lights?

Question, I plan on painting my cabinets too! Can you share some tips on what type of paint you used and brushes, sprayers, etc. ? Did you add floetrol or things like that to make it smoother?

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

KK Try this link for your search

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xantique+copper+platter.TRS0&_nkw=antique+copper+platter&_sacat=0

I typed in antique copper platter. We actually put the nail in before grouting and it sits between the stone.

Mich,

I used both a brush and a roller. I was as careful as I could to get a smooth finish. I did lots of thin coats.

I got the lights at the Restoration Hardware Outlet for a super deal. Yes, they are library scones.

Thanks for all of the compliments!

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow Russ! We live pretty close to one another. Hope you will keep us updated on your new build!

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

Will do! We were told by the builder they are finishing a couple slabs and we are "next" so.. hopefully soon.

R

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Aktillery9- You did the scullery!!! It's lovely :)

Congrats!!! Your kitchen is just beautiful. Now, going into my Favorite Kitchens file....along with MermanMike and a few others.

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you lavender! That is a huge compliment!

• Bunny
    8 years ago

AK, it's beautiful. I'm speechless. Everything about it. Your views!!! I'm dying.

I would have your pantry as my entire kitchen and be thrilled.

• kksmama
    8 years ago

Thank you, Ak, I'll just have to keep looking. Congratulations on a gorgeous kitchen, I hope you have many happy meals in there!

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 years ago

Oh my! That's all I can say. I remember you from GW and have always appreciated your posts. You've created a gorgeous home!

• happy2b…gw
    8 years ago

Aktillery9, your kitchen is fantastic. I would love to cook with you for a day.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Okay, I could just live in your scullery. Truly gorgeous, unique kitchen. Unique in the best way - everything is beautiful. Congratulations AK!

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Oh I'm squealing with delight to see this reveal. I missed it earlier somehow. Amy, you have one of my all time favorite kitchens. I'm serious....I have had your kitchen picture saved for a looooong time. It would be my dream kitchen if I could chose one. I love everything about it. I had actually posted a picture of your kitchen on someone's thread a while back who was wanting a similar layout. Yours is going to inspire so many. You and dh did an amazing job. That hood is awesome. You should be so proud because it is truly stunning.

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! It's gorgeous, aktillery! Not that I'm surprised; your other 2 kitchens were also beautiful!

How's your neck? I ask because if this were my kitchen, I'd need medical care and a special collar from the constant swiveling back and forth between that beautiful kitchen - love the hood, the medallion over the range, the DR chandy, the granite, the dish hutch, oh, my! - and that stunning view. =)

Ya done good!

• tiggsy
    8 years ago

Aktillery9, everything is gorgeous, I keep reviewing the pictures. What is the distance between the island and stove, I didn't see it noted in your layout pic. Thanks.