SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

Decorating trends

User
8 years ago

There is an interesting thread about predictions for 2016 on the Houzz side so I thought this topic might be a good conversation for us.

I know most of us dont follow trends entirely, we decorate mainly with the things we love whether they are in or not but..

1. What would you like to see in 2016?

2. What would you like to see go in 2016?

3. What decor do you have that you would never change no matter what the trends are?

1. I am happy that brass is coming back. It is actually quite a pretty muted brass not the shiny bold brass of the past. I have already purchased a couple of accent tables.

2. Its not going to happen in 2016, but while I like the new light fixtures that are coming out, I dont like the bare bulbs, too much glare.

3. My colors will always include red and gold. I have collected too many things I love over the years to get rid of. Previously I had added olive green to that mix but now I am looking to add some navy instead.

What about you?

Comments (93)

• DYH
    8 years ago

Thanks, RoseAbbey. I've been on GardenWeb since 2005 -- until it switched to Houzz, my moniker was WonByHerWits (my late greyhound's registered name).

• louislinus
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

- Chinoiserie (can't get enough)

- A little more formal and dressy rooms. Just a light dusting of Hollywood Regency. Formal and dressy doesn't have to be fussy. Save the casualness for the family room and finished basement.

I'm really over the house as a barn look. And while I love a good old fashion farmhouse I really dislike trying to turn a suburban tract house into one. Basically I think people should accept their homes for what they are and decorate accordingly. Stop trying to dress it up to be something it's not.

3. What decor do you have that you would never change no matter what the trends are?

My grandma's giant, gold velvet, mid century, tufted sectional couch. Also all my kitsch, especially my anthropomorphized animals. You can't make me get rid of them! :)

User thanked louislinus
  • Related Discussions

10 decorating trends you wish would go away, yea or nea??

Q

Comments (39)
    I'm sorry for your loss, Joyce. Evidently everyone who stages a kitchen for a photo shoot. lol I wasn't including staging in my comment. My comments were for real people with real homes. Yes, fleur de lis and "bling." Like Donna Decorates Dallas, or whatever the name of that show was... ugh. I wonder how much time people with open concept spend cleaning up these areas in order to take pictures they want to post on GW. Rarely do I see pictures of a "lived in" open concept space. lol See my post above - I am a neat freak. The house is neat unless DH is home, but I don't think anyone wants to see his feet on the coffee table. If I needed to pick up for pictures, it would take less than 2 minutes. Neat freak... nicer than saying a bit OCD. Another trend I hope at least evolves is the ALL WHITE everything. OMGeez, yes! Or a room or house all shades of gray. I guess I've never been a trend-follower. Instead of buying the latest thing currently trending, I'd rather have my money in savings. I'm not criticizing anyone who does, that's just my lifestyle. I do like trends, and love seeing all the trendy decorating here on GW. Antlers, taxidermy, etc have always been around. I've had my collection at least 6 years, and only started seeing them scattered in Veranda, Southern Accents and Architectural Digest (and in local antique stores) a few years before. A few years before that, I saw plenty in Europe. I am tired of the white porcelain versions someone mentioned. I agree everyone should save, and if not debt free should be working towards it.
    ...See More

predictions: decorating trends? colors?

Q

Comments (26)
    walkin, I would guess so, but the over-55 subdivisions around here are, like most ordinary subdivisions, waaaaaay out on the outskirts of towns - the downtown areas are already too built-up. The pricier ones have communal amenities like a swimming pool, gathering hall, playground for the grandkids, that kind of thing, but that's true for the regular subdivisions too. They're pretty much never within walking distance of anything though. May be different in other areas, of course. Over-55-restricted development in-town is usually apartment buildings (rentals or condos), which sometimes have some pretty impressive amenities and sometimes not, depending on how much money you have to throw around - just like any other apartment building, really. I love copper and collect early 20th century copperware, but I don't think it's well suited to all homes when used in quantity. Can't go wrong with a rack of well-used (not all polished up to that weird bright orange-pink color) copper pots and pans in my book though. I worked in a couple of restaurants with zinc-covered bars. I think they are unpopular here because Americans in general are not comfortable with extensive patination and then the wear on the patina (they do scratch and spot and blotch something fierce; even water and skin oils mark them up), heat marks, dents, seams, and other "defects", just like copper countertops which I've also worked around. If you wax the counter to keep a consistent appearance the wax layer is somewhat delicate and needs to be refreshed often to maintain its integrity in the face of scraping, scratching, and scrubbing. Having counters that are all spotty and beringed and worn-looking runs up headfirst against the whole Madison-Avenue-engendered American obsession with cleanliness, perfection, and having everything always looking "new". Some people do enjoy the "well-worn" look, but they're the relatively unusual ones, I think. While you can polish the tarnish off with a buffer and mildly abrasive metal polish and sand out the scratches with steel wool to get a uniformly shiny surface, zinc is quite soft and since it's only a thin sheet of metal bonded to a substrate, much like laminate countertop material, it can wear through if you're too hard on it. It's also wowzer expensive - $130-175 per square foot, and can go even higher if you want goodies like integral backsplashes or sinks, fancy edges, a seamless appearance on long lengths or corners, etc. - which isn't quite so bad if you're going to do your kitchen once and let it be for decades (or you just have pots of cash, of course, or perhaps a very, very small kitchen? LOL), but Americans usually remodel and do major redecorations more often than Europeans.
    ...See More

House Beautiful: 10 Decorating Trends Hot in 2013

Q

Comments (34)
    Oakleyok, So agree with you on the overabundance of white! White is an easy color to match other decor. Sochi, I was surprised too about the gloss and lacquer coming into the vogue. Earlier this month Awm03 posted a link to Kips Bay Decorator Show 2013 on GW - my thanks to her for it! The interiors on display clearly showcased most of the trends listed in HB. I'm re-posting the link from Awm03 here for everyone's convenience. - Brass? Check. Both in vintage/antique patina and shiny 70's-80's versions; - Bright colors? Check. Althought the bright teal bathroom isn't exactly my cup of tea, it still fascinated me at first. After some thought I conceded that it could make sense to do a small space like a powder room or nook in a bright color to add some "pop" or intrigue to an otherwise restrained house. I like the curtain and rug in the entryway design. They bring an otherwise cramped and dark space alive. The curtain would be a perfect solution for hiding a large storage unit for footwear, umbrellas, bags, dog leashes and coats on hooks or shallow shelves. - English florals? Check. The wallpaper in the lady's writing room is so pretty, it makes me dream about a small weekend cottage decorated in the style! - High gloss, lacquer and polish? Check. My favorite is the dining table with the black lacquer top and MCM-style chairs. It's probably nostalgic because the table reminds me of the 60's Czech-made sideboard and bookcase in my room back home in Moscow. They were topped with black opaque glass, had glossy walnut veneer doors on the fronts and polished oak on the sides edged with thin brass piping. MCM meets Art Deco. - James Mont style furnishings? Check. There are some lacquered pieces that clearly allude to his designs, although they are more restrained in comparison. - Art? Yep, it's definitely present there. :D Bsmith1, You make a valid point about being able to relate to the designs in magazines. My view is that there should be a bit of everything for everyone. I would add to the opinions by Palimpsest, Bronwynsmom and others that the shelter magazines give us a chance to peruse interiors designed by pros. We can't afford the high-ticket items they feature, but we can learn about paint color combinations, textile patterns or mixing and matching different styles The other day I went to a garden tour featuring several million-dollar estates. The proceeds from the tickets went to the local schools. I would never be able to afford the lavish landscaping, but I appreciated a chance to look at the work done by pros. The plant combinations, spacing of features, types of plants for different sun/terrain conditions, use of stone, etc. There was a landscape designer available for questions at one of the properties. Besides, it was a beautiful day for a walk in the gardens! Here is a link that might be useful: Kips Bay Decorator Show House 2013
    ...See More

Decorating trends that were gone b4 I had time to consider

Q

Comments (42)
    I think there were a number of things that I missed out on because I didn't have the money at the time, and it was probably a good thing, early 1990s late post-modernist dining chairs, for one, some Starck polycarbonate chairs, for another. I was also partial to furniture made by Dialogica in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and actually I am glad I was not in a position to buy furniture then because I am not sure now what I saw in some of the pieces that I liked.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Louis, What are amorphized animals?

• louislinus
    8 years ago

Lol I meant anthropomorphized animals. Animlas with human characteristics. Like a fawn wearing a cowboy hat or a cat in mail carrier outfit.

User thanked louislinus
  • User
    8 years ago

Deeper, richer colors. More stained wood, luxurious fabrics, etc. Vintage elegance. The Peak of Chic is my favorite eye-candy blog. Sumptuous. Sophisticated.

Generic, trend-driven, non-personalized decor. Homes that look overly shopped and merchandized, with little thought put into making it one's own ... i.e., a staged home, more for trying to impress "others", and what will look good on Instagram, blogs, etc. I don't see that here on GW, rather the other sites I mentioned, especially popular blogs. Garish painted furniture can go now, too, please, especially overly distressed that looks like it was in a fire or flood.

Rustic, Texas-style ... cowhides, and western artwork, for example. Native American influenced (woven baskets, rugs) decor. I will always incorporate it with my other decor and architectural house style. I have an antique saddle in our office, the cowhide my dad had in his office in the 70s, old bridle bits as artwork, several horse paintings, etc. It's very personal to me -- I grew up in a ranching/horse show family -- but I do try to soften it up (it can be a very masculine look).

dyhgarden, my condolences (I'm widowed 6 yrs now). I admire you taking on ambitious projects. I can imagine your husband would be very proud. <3

User thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

We went on a house tour today of 6 homes and I think 4 out of the 6 were full of Paris things....eiffel towers, french wall clocks, pillows that say paris or french words...one even had a side table like the arc de triomphe! No idea if that's a trend or not, but something I hadn't seen before.

User thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • User
    8 years ago

I'd like to see more color. I think a lot of homes on blogs are lacking that homey feel and so many look the same with not much individual personality.

Painted wood certainly has it's place, but I'd like to see more stained cabinets and furniture.

I like brass. I could see my color palette shifting as the years go on - they already have a little, but I don't see myself wanting to live with vivid, cheery colors. Think lime green, canary yellow, hot pink, etc. I don't lump red into this category though.

Random - I really love plaids, but I'm somewhat bummed they're 'trendy' right now.

ETA -Yes to fake antlers and deer heads going away. I'm also fine with not seeing chevron ever again.

While I don't have a huge library full, I don't see myself ever getting rid of all our books.

User thanked User
  • handmethathammer
    8 years ago

I was about to post some thoughts, but it would be nearly word for word what Sheeisback said. More color and more stained cabinets/furniture would be a nice change. I'd also like to see something new in countertops. I am tired of seeing granite all the time and wondering why Corian went away so quickly. (Although I don't want granite to go away or become less desirable, as I have that in one of the baths). My mother put Corian countertops in her kitchen in 1998. It had the same qualities that granite offers, (seamless, could put hot things on it, doesn't stain easily). It still looks lovely and a little unusual. It seemed there were more color variations in Corian.

What I won't give up? I change my mind and get tired of things. Like the rest of me, my taste in decor has changed and evolved over time. We have some art we acquired off street artists while traveling. I like to think those will always have a place in my home.

User thanked handmethathammer
  • louislinus
    8 years ago

I also think gray and greige has seen its day. I have a gray dining room and kitchen but it is getting overdone for me.

• DYH
    8 years ago

Annie Deighnaugh - I had to chuckle over the "Paris" trends you mention. I've been going to Paris every year for a long time, have many friends there and have been to their apartments. One of my friends was on House Hunters International when she purchased her Paris apartment. It was professionally decorated by a French designer. I've also been in country homes of friends in Provence and I have a few French antiques (farm table and jelly cupboard). I have photographs that I took in Paris that are hanging on my walls, but the subjects have meaning to me. The American version of French décor -- I just shake my head. They need to tone it down so that the house doesn't look like a tourist souvenir shop. French decor is subtle and understated everywhere except Versailles! :-)

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

lkplatow, Thanks.

I knew Schlage still made the shape in their commercial grade, but the last time I looked I didn't see Satin brass, so this is back in the running.

• User
    8 years ago

Seems like the Paris tchotchkes have all made their way to the clearance aisles around here. I wonder if the homes Annie saw had brought out those items in light of recent events. Interesting.

I love decor that speaks to the homeowner's travels, but don't care for mass-produced geographically specific themes. They usually lack originality.

• Em11
    8 years ago

Like many of you have said, I'd like to see staged decorating go. Not staging a home for selling, because that's different. I'm talking about everything having to look a certain way, certain colors, certain tchotchkes, the ubiquitous skittle-color, painted piece of ruined vintage furniture.... etc.

What I'd like to see come in is decorating according to the architecture and location of a home. No more nautical themes and signs pointing to the beach in Kansas suburbs.

I'll never get rid of my dark (very dark) built in cabinetry and bookcases. The American Colonial and English Country look fits my house architecture and the area it's located in. I love the mixing of textures like leather, stone, tapestry, and wood.

User thanked Em11
  • gramarows
    8 years ago

What would I like to see changed in 2016? Not just on GW; I wish the phrase "too matchy-matchy" would die a fast but agonizing death. I cringe everytime I hear that criticism of someone's choices. In other areas of decorating, also, I wish there was a lot more acceptance of what others find attractive. I read above people's tiredness of so much sameness, but people get ripped apart sometimes for having another vision. (I am not referring to when someone's efforts are not working for them and they seek and receive advise for the problem they are addressing).

What decor will I not change regardless of trends? Well brass, especially aged but including some of the dreaded "shiny" brass; have always loved, not changing. Actually, I don't tend to follow trends, so everything!

User thanked gramarows
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

What I would like to see in 2016 is that customers shop for
    American-made goods that aren't fake junk. We have killed an industry of
    fine craftspeople, lost furniture companies, and given away jobs.

Amen amen amen amen!

User thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

gramarows, I agree with you about more acceptance of what others find attractive. I dont find the aggressive ripping a part on this side of the forum so much , but the Houzz side can be pretty bad at times. As far as all the sameness goes, I think a lot of the blame is on those shows like House Hunters etc. where if its not a white kitchen with granite or whatever, it is a big negative and must be changed. We are becoming like sheep being lead to the edge of the cliff and expected to jump.

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Themes, of any sort~ I suffered from geese overload back in the early '80! I understand liking certain things, but do they need to be displayed thruout the house? I'll i'll use the fleur de lis as an example, since Paris was mentioned above. A rug, with a large center, or small scattered fleurs greets guest at the front door. On the dining table is a pair of candlesticks w/ stenciled/stamped fleur de lis as well as a matching floral containe, as well as a table runner with 'fleurs'. Fleur de lis of every shape and size in metal, resin, as well as framed versions are displayed on various walls, and it's beginning to look as though every 'fleur' from the local home stores has ended up in this home, right down to the dishware. IMO, having *restraint* is the key, and if you must go overboard, do it in a bathroom or powder room. I once had a powder room, aka 'the library', with picture, plates, and various wall decor from floor(almost!)to ceiling, lincluding a small shelf of books directly in front of the 'commode'. Way over the top, but kept under 'control'(IMO)since it was confined to a small space. For myself, restraint takes a lot of effort, and something i'm still working on. I don't want my home to look like a retail store which specializes in only a certain item.

User thanked patty_cakes42
  • awm03
    8 years ago

My two cents worth: I'm tired of the same old gabled portico style with Tuscan columns being slapped onto houses. Not that it's unattractive, but it's becoming ubiquitous and seems to be the rote answer to "what to do to my boring box." It's an addition that can really overwhelm a front facade, and maybe doesn't really belong on a 50s/60s/70s split level or ranch -- or at least, not on all of them.

I love looking at pictures of gray rooms online but don't like being in them in real life. Gray is dreary.

Also a little weary of whole house-fulls of beefy woodwork in glaring white. It's fine in the formal areas, but too much all throughout a house.

I'm rediscovering a liking for 8 foot ceilings, braided rugs, 2 in. x 2 in. tiles, and am getting an odd hankering to use mini-print wallpaper in a bedroom.

[Tangential to the above: I've grown tired of premium imported chocolates and now prefer salty, chalky Hershey's. WTH happened?!]

User thanked awm03
  • patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Pal, what an insightful read, at least for myself. It can be difficult when building and the GC is showing you 'the latest and most popular items being used in homes today.' I guess it's up to the client to think outside the box as well as research what else is available in the marketplace, OTHER than what the GC is 'recommending'. His markup fee is most likely higher on items on the 'new trends list.' We need to learn to use *our* imagination more in decision making, and not rely on what we're being force fed. Gone are the days when every house on the street was unique, inside as well as out. But in retrospect guess it makes sense as what we once thought of as 'neighborhoods' are also a thing of the past, the exception being small towns.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

awm03,

I think that people are starting to have trouble deciding what they want their "experience" to be. I think that imported premium chocolates are one thing, and a Hershey bar is another, both authentic. But now, people want the "imported premium" experience at the Hershey's price point, and that's not authentic.

Cheaper goods used to focus more on bringing quality in at a price point and not so much on design. They were functional. A cheap faucet was probably something fairly sturdy of a design that hadn't been changed in years. Now a cheap faucet is designed to look like an expensive faucet but it's assembled out of plastic by slave labor and it will fall apart after a few years, and that's ok because it won't be trendy anymore.

And to some extent, how we spend doesn't really make any sense. If it did, we would spend $500 on jeans that we wear 50+ times a year, and $50 on something we would wear to one function, but it doesn't usually work out that way.

I am not saying that there were never cheap faux riche goods, but most people recognized them for what they were. But that changed. One specific culprit I can think of (and there were others, but this was one of them) was the Bombay Company. They ruined the reputation of a couple of things, like a nicely built butler's tray table by reproducing them in particle board and paper thin mahogany veneer sprayed maroon.

Now, I think, the Target look is so popular that good quality furniture is trying to look like cheap furniture.

I grew up in a sturdy, well built house, the last house in town to get brown coat/white coat plaster throughout. It had nice, consistent millwork, solid six-panel doors and mud-bed tile baths, and all cast iron fixtures in a time when most of what was being built was drywall, hollow core doors and vinyl floored bathrooms and things like that.

My father was a doctor, and it was the sort of house that a doctor, lawyer, or business man would build at that time. It was bought by a couple with a child as their starter house. The bedrooms are "small", the bathrooms are "small", the ceilings are "only 8 feet". People who have average jobs are now building stuff that looks fancier. The few younger doctors or lawyers who still move there (it's a dying place) are building voluminous, lightweight, Potemkin-village sorts of houses that are impressive-looking and about as solid as a movie set.

User thanked palimpsest
  • User
    8 years ago

What Pal wrote:

"I guess my point is, that the best houses or best interior design is
    going to pick and choose a few trends and ignore a lot of them,
    particularly when it comes to fixed elements. That will be durable. That
    will allow you some time to relax and spend a little bit of money on a
    bit of refreshing every once in a while, and keep some more in savings
    or go on a vacation instead of getting rid of your dated bathroom, that
    there is nothing wrong with functionally."

The major $ I've spent on my home has been to improve its function. My style hasn't changed much in 20 years. I still have art and items sitting about that I found when traveling in my youth and that my husband and I picked out early in our marriage. The breakfast table that we bought more than 15 years ago looks even better in my space after we remodeled our kitchen. The kitchen was remodeled because its function was awful but my current choices in cabinet/counter/color actually reflected what I've always loved.

I adore and appreciate many trends and decor styles, but when it comes to what I want to view and live with every day I am consistent. I think it's saved me a ton of time and effort and trips to Target and HomeGoods over the years, although I certainly appreciate the special finds of others who can incorporate new items into their decor much more easily than I can.

As to the OP:

More originality. Even on a budget, you can be original if you just get outside the decor marketing bubble that's promoted by HGTV and Target.

The push to continually replace accessories that feeds into the dangerous cycle of disposable items at cheap prices that can only be produced overseas.

Neutrals.

User thanked User
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

The thing that seems to bother me the most is window treatments. I have often noted that when I see a particularly beautiful home the windows are so attractive. Today i often think that there are sheets hanging at the windows. Shades cover the windows day and night. Those woven blinds look like they belong on a porch.

User thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago

On the way home from church this morning I noticed that an apartment complex, which formerly had a tacky medieval look, with turrets at the corners and heraldic flags scattered about, had torn down the turrets, squared the walls, ditched the flags and painted the tired brown brick.... drum roll please.... gray. You know a trend has got to be over when Section 8 apartments are painted in those colors.

User thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • eastautumn
    8 years ago

I'm with those who'd like to see more quality items made by real craftsmen vs. all of the cheap, easily thrown away and replaced junk that's so popular today. I'm doing my part, trying to pass up the junk ;)

I'd also love to see more stained/unpainted woodwork (trim, walls, built-ins, etc.). I grew up in a house that had the original fir floors, walls, and even ceilings (though my parents eventually painted the ceilings white), and that much wood was a bit too much for me personally. But I do love the warmth of stained wood trim (and/or other elements) and don't see it very much in design today, other than the "reclaimed wood" ceiling beams.

It won't hurt my feelings if I never see another set of fake antlers hanging on a wall.

Quality wood furniture, especially our mission furniture; it feels classic to us and the quality pieces we've invested in have stood up amazingly to kids and pets. Also, I love traditional "arts and crafts" pottery, and have a soft spot for chunky gold frames.

I'll never change our ceiling light fixtures (old brass finish) or get rid of the crazy antique floor lamps my dad retrieved from someone's trash and rewired back in the '80s. I plucked them from my parents basement when I moved into my first apartment, and my favorite one has a prominent spot in our living room. One of my (former) roommates thought it was so gaudy and ugly he predicted I'd never find a husband who'd tolerate it, but I guess I found the right one because he actually likes it :)

I still love the white subway tile back splash in our 11-year-old kitchen and also the green/gray/white granite we chose at the last second (and I was so worried I'd regret). I can foresee different cabinets at some point in the future (I've never liked the ones we compromised on), but I think the back splash and counters will be in the house as long as we are.

User thanked eastautumn
  • laughablemoments
    8 years ago

1. What would you like to see in 2016? I would like to see things of beauty in people's homes. I like rustic, but the pieces that look like they are dragged from the chicken coop and stuck in the house are a bit much for me. I wouldn't mind seeing more florals again, something delicate and feminine. I'm not big on 70's styles, nor MCM (sorry...), but I'm afraid we're going to be seeing them around for a while yet.

The big thing for me is that I would love to see homes being built that architecturally make sense for the way we really live. Less ostentatiousness and more functionality. Attention to quality over volume. Basically, I'd like to see more Not So Big houses being built.

2. What would you like to see go in 2016? I'd be happy to see zig zag stripes go away, as well as less ikat patterns hanging around. I also agree with the abandonment of antlers, light up letters, and EAT signs. Bye-bye tackiness. : ) (Disclaimer: I will probably always have a few verse signs or mottoes hanging around that are meaningful to our family, but I definitely don't need one reminding us to eat, LOL.)

3. What decor do you have that you would never change no matter what the trends are? I have a few pieces of furniture that are antiques, a couple that were passed down from my grandparents, that I don't want to give up. I think I will always love something that has a feminine line to it. And books, we'll probably always have honest to goodness books around.

User thanked laughablemoments
  • nini804
    8 years ago

I am having trouble with this topic because I am trying very hard to not care about trends!

Like, i don't want ANYTHING I like to become a trend. I don't want things I love to become mass reproduced and end up in a bin at Home Goods.

Likewise, I don't mind current trends. If it is something I like, it being trendy makes it easier to source. Current trends that I DON'T like don't bother me a bit...I ignore them.

I will never give up having white cabinetry in my kitchen, and fat, painted white trim work in my home. Never. I had a white kitchen in my very first starter home in the late 90's when no one had white kitchens. It wasn't even an option, I had to plead with the production builder. They found that their supplier did a white thermfoil finish, and I was allowed to "upgrade" to that ($1000 more, but I didn't care...I was getting my white kitchen!) :) When we were designing our dream home 5 years ago...I didn't even consider stained cabs. White, painted, Christopher Peacock-esque cabs for me, thankyouverymuch! (Thankfully, NOT thermofoil this time around! :) ) I adore white, light spaces in my home. I can certainly appreciate stained cabinets in other people's homes, but I could never live with it. So, no matter what happens trend-wise, you will not find stained wood in my house (except on the floor & some furniture!)

User thanked nini804
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

#2: I really want SS to go away on major appliances. Accent pieces are fine and can be awesome. I also don't like bare bulbs unless they are small ones on old time decorative chandeliers. I'm also with the person about those fake antlers....

I am way tired of posters/signs/plaques with "feel good", "motivational" sayings on em.

#1: Quality goods that last.

#3: I love stained wood -- I better, if I am going to have a log home!! Certain tones of stain I personally don't prefer, but hey. Painted wood does work in certain places and in certain homes -- my closet units will likely be painted white (or some shade of brown/tan). There will always be book shelves -- I'm NOT replacing everything on Kindle!

PS< I am glad that not everyone may agree with my own choices -- it would be boring if everyone decided to create, say, my own dream kitchen!

User thanked artemis_ma
  • deegw
    8 years ago

The trend issue is so subliminal. I don't know how you avoid it unless you become a monk or brutally analyze all your choices.

User thanked deegw
  • palimpsest
    8 years ago

I don't think you can completely avoid it. And I do (over)analyze all my choices and mostly stop reading design magazines when I am doing a major project. I try to avoid getting too many ideas from current magazines.

I am still definitely influenced by what is available on websites, or the design center.

That said, if you really don't care about trends, you use what is available (or trendy) that you also like, and then when it is no longer a trend, no longer in style even, you theoretically shouldn't care even when it's dated if you still like it. You may be tired of it if you've had it for a long time, but theoretically you shouldn't dislike it because it's no longer fashionable. You should be willing to keep it if it is in good condition and you aren't just tired of it, no matter if it is dated.

User thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

I was thinking like Pal even before I saw what she wrote - I would like to see all trend-based designs go. I hate conformity, but I guess it makes it easier for companies to sell things. I'm not sure why anyone would want something because other people have it, but I was taught in Marketing class that such is the case. They also taught me that I am not one of those people but am part of the 3% "fringe" that bucks trends. By the same token, I am not a "team" player, as I like to strike out on my own, and I have no desire to fit into a herd.

I would like to see more variety in the future. I also would like never to hear anyone say "That is so last year" which is another way of condemning something as dated. Everything is dated in one way or another, and dates should be embraced. However, I really did hate having to live through the 1970s.

I'm really sick of subway tiles and white kitchens, not because they are bad, but because they are ubiquitous and unimaginative at this point. I am also sick of the term "open concept" and wish it would go away. I've always used the term "open floor plan" instead, but still think it should be more limited. I lived in a storefront in San Francisco in the early 1970s that had been a dance studio (with mirrors and ballet bars), and it was as open as you could get, and so now I crave walls. Back then, my bedroom was in the upper level of a store window. I want to be able to close off a kitchen with doors - pocket doors would be nice - and I want to see more upper cabinets in kitchens. I do a lot of cooking, and I need lots of supplies that I do not want to have as part of a living room. Also, I had to disable the smoke detector in the dining room because I could not close off the kitchen from that room, and it would come on frequently when I cooked with high heat.

User thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is where it is important to buy items you love, those are the items you do not tire of or feel they are dated and whether you buy those items at HobbyLobby or The Bombay (one of my favourite stores, sorry) it shouldn't matter. Quality/price should not play a role in whether I love something or not. Some my cheapest finds are some of my most loved items.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

As someone else mentioned, this is a hard thread when you do not follow trends. It took me several years to "find myself" re home decor, but I want our home to reflect us and not the trend of the moment. That said, of course some things we like are probably going to be trendy at some point. I love neutrals for larger upholstered pieces. We both love antiques and will always have dark wood pieces. I will probably always have old silver, ironstone, transferware, etc. Love old mirrors. Love aged brass and have had that in our home(s) for most of our married life! Finally went to the colors we love (me moreso than him, he doesn't care as much about the colors) as our accent colors. I do love some painted pieces of furniture and have at least one piece in each room. I liked burlap before it was a trend and have several pillows and drapes in two bedrooms. Things I would not miss are stainless appliances and subway tile.

User thanked tinam61
  • palimpsest
    8 years ago

RoseAbbey, I don't have anything particularly against stores like that, Bombay in particular. I get things from all sorts of places. But Bombay Co. really did "diminish" people's opinions of things like the Butler's tray table. I once posted a picture of a room with an antique Butlers tray table that was mahogany with a banded top and yew wood inlay, and people's comment were "Oh I'd get rid of that dated tray table that everybody and their mother had in the 70s and 80s."

Same with my parents' mirror over the fireplace. It was (is, I took it) a genuine 18th or 19th (centennial era maybe) eagle topped girandole mirror with convex glass. A couple people called it a "trite" mirror from the Bicentennial. (There were actually plastic copies)

It doesn't diminish what the genuine pieces actually are, but it does diminish what people think of them.

And you can't really say anything like "This is the real thing" to people who make the assumptions because it comes off really like you are trying to be a snob.

User thanked palimpsest
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Pretty much whatever I am shown six times over again in any random weighty, glossy magazine

My memory fails me here. I can't recall recent things I've really hated.

Anything with a story I suppose. Quirky things we sourced in odd places, inheritances, gifts, things made for us, things from our travels, etc etc.

I was thinking of this the other day. There are certain things you own that you never even find yourself "sizing up", or re-assessing. The question of whether they are "in" would never cross your mind.

User thanked MtnRdRedux
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pal, I get your point and yes Bombay has diminished people's opinion on things because some items have become more common place and yes sometimes it is hard to tell whether something is genuine or not, to some, but you know what you have and love and that's all that matters. I feel the same with area rugs. I have hand knotted rugs and am now looking for another one. No one that comes to my home probably notices or cares whether they are hand knotted or machine made but I know and I care.

• User
    8 years ago

Was just browsing some local real estate, and came across this picture ... made me think of this thread, and trendy signs.

"Marathon". Curious choice for over the master bed. ;)

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That says it all!

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Yep, gotta admit I'm wondering what kind of marathon they're running in that room... Giggle...

User thanked artemis_ma
  • User
    8 years ago

Now that's going to be an awkward memory of a child's family home.

User thanked User
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I don't watch TV and haven't had cable connection since 1992 when a tree took out all the connections here and the only thing I found no need to replace was cable. I don't pick up the glossy magazines, either -- they're mostly ads anyway, when I've run into them at doctor offices. I do look at ideas online (here, houzz proper, just random places), and I look at houses of friends I visit (few seem to live the House Beautiful life). So, to me, an enclosed kitchen is never "dated" -- it is merely functional or non-functional depending soley on ease of use.

I have, during my building process, watched YouTube HGTV shows, and find myself informed left and right that some of the things I value are "dated". I was also totally stunned watching a couple reject a kitchen (it even had SS) because all the appliances came from different manufacturers. (I wish there were more shows like Rehab Addict or the earlier This Old House.)

To me, dated is... "still using a washboard". Okay, less facetiously, hardly any electrical outlets available. (By these lights I am indeed still living in a "dated" house, and this is definitely being rectified in my current build!) But matters of style? Choose what's comfortable for YOU, unless you plan to flip and sell.

User thanked artemis_ma
  • patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Artemis_me, you've made a very good point re:what really *is* dated! Everything these days is taken so out of context. The assumption a kitchen is dated because it lacks SS, granite, farm-style sink, etc, I find to be annoying as well as downright stupid. People need to stop listening to all the hype re:decorating in general, GET A LIFE, and make their own decision w/o approval or feeling they need validating in whatever *they* choose to do. Decorating 'speak' is so veeeeery overated. ;)

• starnold
    8 years ago

In 2016 I'd like to see the fearless use of color.

In 2016 I'd like to see grey become an accent color, enough is enough. And for chalk paint to disappear.

Decor I will never give up: beautifully made wooden furniture, Persian rugs, accessories and art that hold meaning and memories.

User thanked starnold
  • User
    8 years ago

Marathon???

Maybe they're in the oil biz. ;-)

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

I forgot to list what I would not change, no matter what, but at this point, I cannot think of anything. I guess I am not so sentimental any more. I would want to keep my brother's paintings, however, but that's about it. He is less attached to his paintings and likes to sell them. If I owned any of the furniture that I designed myself, I would want to keep that, but until I received my inheritance, I could not afford it, and now that I can, I do not want to pay for it!

Having lived through major earthquakes (a 7.2 in Mexico City in 1979 and the 6.7 Northridge 1994) I have learned that items and decor do not matter as much as lives. In 1994 during the Northridge quake when things were flying through the rooms and the plate glass window came into the dining room, all I could think was that I did not care if I lost everything I owned as long as I did not die! I think that people who live through tornadoes and major fires have similar feelings.

User thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • Beverly Hills
    8 years ago

I, for one, am so sick of grey and greige. And rooms that look like offices. Vertical blinds, ugh. Also not a fan of mid century modern and Ikea Danish stuff.

User thanked Beverly Hills
  • User
    8 years ago

More people decorating with vintage and antique items. It's more interesting. imo, it is much harder to pull together random items than going to stores to buy whatever it is they are selling. I'd also like to see more homes that use the same pieces in different ways/rooms over the years, repurposing.

Grey/Greige. White kitchens- they do not need to disappear completely, I'm just tired of seeing them. All. The. Time.

There is not much I would change or sell in our current home. I would remove the few things I brought here when my parents sold their lakehouse and some things that are stored away... and I have been donating some of the latter lately. We are thinking of downsizing, and depending on the house, I would sell our walnut antique dining room furniture and possible the breakfast room tables/chairs since we need a larger table with grown children, spouses/friends and grandchildren.

Re: "dragged in from the henhouse" - I like old or the better faux (new) chippy painted pieces, but don't enjoy an entire house full of repeated chippy or white. For me, the occasional worn painted piece adds texture and warmth, much like woven items (wicker, fabrics) and rattan or bamboo. Also, when I see a worn piece, it evokes a sense of history instead of "made in china."

User thanked User
  • debmctx
    8 years ago

Interesting thread. Where are all y'all seeing white kitchens? I'm in real estate in the north Texas area and expresso kitchen cabinets are all the rage. I crave white...and am planning a kitchen refresh in 2016--pretty new tile, warm granite, white cabs....so my number one request for what I'd like to see more of in 2016 is dollars to pay for that refresh.

What I want to see more of in 2016? Color. I can never have enough color. Warm neutrals.

What I'd like to see less of? Grays. Dark wood floors and cabinets. Glass tile backsplashes. Fewer blah beige couches.

What I'd never change are the items we've brought home from living overseas, various other travels, and items we've inherited as long as they truly work for us.

User thanked debmctx
  • Beverly Hills
    8 years ago

Looks like a lot of us are tired of gray. Also, I don't like super-modern sterile kitchens that look like a lab in a morgue

User thanked Beverly Hills
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH