SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Thank you gift suggestions needed

I need suggestions for a really special thank you gift. In September I began walking the Chemin de St Jacques, the old pilgrim way that is part of the Camino de Santiago that some of you have probably heard of, from Paris. On the day I reached Bonneval, it was pouring (as it did pretty much the whole time), I was soaked, I had been unable to get a hotel reservation and it looked like I was headed to le camping.

I stopped in the mairie to ask directions, and the young woman there insisted that I needed to go instead to stay with a woman who ran an art studio around the corner. I was aware that she offered pilgrim accommodation, but it's considered very bad form in France to just show up at places like that without calling a day ahead so they can make arrangements, which I had definitely not done, because I was still nervous about using the phone in French.

Anyway, this wonderful woman took me in, put up with my appalling French, made me use her own shower because the hot water wasn't turned on in the gite, took all my clothes and washed them, ran out for beignets, gave me a hound to hold and a lovebird to entertain me while she spent about 45 minutes calling around to see if she could find some place for the next night closer than where I was planning to walk (she'd noticed I was limping), made me vegetable soup and some kind of fruit smoothie thing so I wouldn't have to go out anywhere for dinner, gave me an extensive tour of her artwork, and loaned me a book of poetry about the chemin written by a friend of hers.

All this, despite the fact that she had been getting ready to leave in an hour or so for the vernissage for a major exhibit of her painting that night and she also had a big exhibition of her students' work going up in the morning in an neighboring town. She was very distressed that she couldn't walk with me the next day because of the exhibit, because the first 10 km or so was all walking across country and she was doubtful that I could manage it with my injured foot, so she told me that if I needed to do it, I should call her and she would leave the exhibit and come as close as she could get in the car and bring me back for another night, then drive me back the following day to where I left off. She also insisted that I text her how I was getting along for several days after that.

When it came time to pay, she told me she usually charged 18 euros for a bed in the gite for pilgrims, but it was up to me what I cared to leave, and just to light a candle for her in church sometime.

So I need something really nice as a thank you gift. I was thinking of sending some local citrus, but none of the reputable shippers around here will ship to Europe anymore, so I'm stumped.

Comments (18)